1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading Williams??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coachbadlee, Jan 10, 2011.

1. AggieRocketsFan

Every player on the Rockets is being showcased right now.

Why single out Williams?

2. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

What are the rules for trading a player after he's already been traded in that year? I know there is some sort of waiting period before he can be traded again and he can't be traded back to his former team unless he's waived. Can someone clear that up for me?

3. kingjosh

kingjosh Member

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

They could use him to play defense alone. Have him on the floor with AB and Lowry. That way he can bring the ball up the floor and get it to Brooks or Lowry. Have them run the offense then. Or, have him drive immediately and dish it out. Having him on the floor, even if just for a few minutes, will not only benefit Williams, but the team as well. Also, i think putting him in with Ish is a T-Will video mix waiting to happen. :grin:

5. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

We're actually showcasing the other players (cough Budinger cough) and keeping our secret weapon on the down low so other teams DON'T ask for Williams in a trade.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think he can be traded, but not in a package, or something like that.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They won't trade him. They bought low, and they will sell high, or keep him.

8. AggieRocketsFan

Yes, I believe he can't be packaged with other players until Feb. 15.

9. PeppermintCandy

Getting a few minutes of court time just to get court time isn't going to be the difference maker in his development.

He needs to take a page from Patterson's book: practice hard and learn the plays, and when finally given playing time, do exactly what the coaches instruct him to do and do it so well that it gains Adelman's trust.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think they should have sent him to the D-league immediately just to learn the plays on the fly. He would probably be playing more right now if they would have done that instead of just holding him hostage on the bench.

11. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

ive read here that he's a good playmaker. so he needs to dominate the ball if he plays like that. if that's the case, he'll have a hard time with adelman's offense. i think he'd be a good sub during the fourth quarter

12. smasstastic

smasstastic Member

We bought him low, and if we were to trade him after only a few months his value would be even worse.

If we should trade anybody right now it should be Bud - he is playing well right now, he might be attractive as part of a package. That said we need to find a player worth trading for before we start trying to shed our assets.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

we've yet to see williams play on the court with any starters yet. that could be why he looks like he's forcing the offense when he's in there. i'd like to give some of battier's minutes to him. williams' man-to-man D is almost as good plus he can probably make freethrows.

14. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

Yeah, Battier's free throws have been dreadful

15. rocketrage

rocketrage Member

I think T-Will's ability to play point could be useful. AB plays well with Lowry because he gets to play shooting guard on offense and defend the point guard. He said that he likes playing off the ball and I think it works better just because of how good a shooter he is. While Lowry may be able to guard some shooting guards, other more offensive-minded guards (Kobe, Wade) may be too strong for him. Against such players, I think Williams would be a better match up on defense, while allowing AB to play SG on offense. But he still has to develop that team chemistry before this becomes possible.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Williams needs to practice his shooting.

17. PeppermintCandy

Just guessing but the Rockets might be wary of sending him to the D-league because of how NJ's Avery Johnson sent him there as "punishment." They may be careful not to send him the wrong message.

But yeah, some time with the RGV Vipers wouldn't be a bad idea, I think.

18. ramirezallen1

ramirezallen1 Member

Dnt trade williams he's the 11th pick of 2009 n he's not a bust n younger than battier he needs time to build chemistry n maybe could be a starter or backin up k mart

19. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Hold on guys, He has played only 3 games. Remeber Courtney Lee? He struggled early on as well and it took him a while to acclimate to Ricks style of play. I believe T-Will just needs more time. We havent even seen 1/10th of what he can normally do.

How come he already needs to be traded after 3 games? Yet Hill and Buddinger get all the chances in the world.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I don't wnt Williams to be traded. I just want to see him play. Now i'm starting to think that a short stint with the Vipers could really help him. Just to get some playing time. Maybe when the Vipers are playing a back to back or three games in a week.