1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Looking For Third Point Guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 14, 2010.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

yeah, that makes sense.

DD

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Let's stop the Taylor speculation. He's going to be on this team this year, PERIOD... unless he does something ridiculously idiotic or regress tremendously for some reason.

The guy may not get playing time behind a lot of guys, but keep in mind that most of our trade chips(Jeffries/Battier expirings and CBud as young talent) play Taylor's position. If the Rockets make a big trade, Taylor could easily be needed as a rotation player later in the year. He's not going to cut for a 3rd string PG.

3. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Ishmael Smith should be definitely be in the running, his lightning quick with great court vision, and ability to attack the rim and finish inside with a tear drop.

His only real negative is his jumpshot but if he can develop a solid mid range shot and improve his free throw shooting, he could develop into a solid back-up ...

--RB

4. rodmanhust

rodmanhust Member

well he is on the list right?

5. PeppermintCandy

I think the Rockets can live without a lot of offense from their third-string PG, as long as he keeps the ball moving and plays good defense.

Smith's passing is pretty good, but how's his defense? His lack of size would also be a concern.

6. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

They're not letting JT go, at least not outright. I could see him possibly being part of a trade, but Morey was being interviewed at halftime of game three and said Coach A absolutely loves him and wants to find him minutes.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

True, but Morey is also a salesman....he knows people are watching....

;)

DD

8. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

JT looks real valuable right now. I say we hang on to him. The other guys are fodder or real borderline. JT? I can see him handling point guard duties on a limited basis. I might even say he could accel at the position better in terms of scoring. Kinda like a Leandro Barbosa. JT has got value thats for sure.

9. Evil Empire

Evil Empire Member

What's Rafer Alston up to these days?

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure if JT plays the point, he would literally redefine the term "Scoring Point Guard".

11. PeppermintCandy

Yeah, I don't think the Rockets will be spending a roster spot on a third-string PG. They'll just make do with Taylor or bring one of the PGs of their D-league team up for a 10-day contract, like they did last season.

12. ramirezallen1

ramirezallen1 Member

And what about miller??

13. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

Stevie Franchise. :)

14. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

(Don't derail this post, please--someone used to type long rants about Tracy being a point-forward or some bs.)

BUT....I would love for the Rockets to pick up a point-forward.

Anthony Mason type of guy. I know we have Chuck Hayes, but he doesn't have the handling skills that Mase had.

I also like the idea of Smith because of the low risk, high reward potential.

15. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I hear Michael Dickerson is playing in Spain...

16. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I would expect a Yao trade first then. Morey keeps talking about how great Yao's recovery is going, like Yao is going to play 82 games.

17. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

How about Chase Budinger instead of Hayes?

18. mms

mms Member

haha, this.

19. DdotConrad503

DdotConrad503 Member

John Lucas III

20. Num1RoXfaN

Num1RoXfaN Member

MY FAVORITE PG WE SHOULD SIGN HIM HAS REALLY IMPRESSED ME WITH HIS PASSING IN THE SUMMER LEAGUE

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TZyQqrNQWWw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TZyQqrNQWWw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>