1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brian Cook

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tomjc, May 10, 2009.

Tags:
  1. tomjc

tomjc Member

So far there has not been much talk about him. What should his role be with the Rockets if any in the next games?

2. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

he can shoot the 3 ball
    but he got owned by gasol down in the post.....he's not strong enough...he looks big, but not strong enough...so idk...

3. YallMean

YallMean Member

Make sure the bench warm. Cheer nicely.

4. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

He would be good playing with Yao.

Cook can draw defenders away from Yao, just because he might be able to rim in that three ball.

5. ibm

ibm Member

his role, no matter what it is, will not be played for more than 5 minutes. insignificant.

6. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

If the Lakers had a big with no post game, I would LOVE Cook to get some PT. He has a VERY nice shot.

7. RaferMadness

RaferMadness Rookie

I wish we could play james white! I think him and shannon brown would be a good match

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think he should play more.....put him at center and he opens up the lane even more with his 3pt shot.

DD

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Without Yao, the Rockets offense is going to be oriented towards the 3-point shot, and I think that's the right decision. If the ROckets get hot from the perimeter, they might just pull it out. But there's no way they'll beat the Lakers by dominating the paint. They don't have the finishers for it.

So, I think Cook will see minutes here and there when Adelman wants to spread the court more. Maybe if Artest is in foul trouble or he's struggling offensively.

10. realrockyboy

realrockyboy Rookie

After the Rockets' contract he'll have a hard time to get a job in NBA

He reminds me of a slower and weaker version of Zhizhi Wang, who happens to be pretty slow and weak in NBA already...

11. rua2006

rua2006 Member

He used to play for the Lakers. Maybe they forgot he left. Get him a Lakers uniform and send him to their bench to get inside information.

12. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Use Cook to open the lanes for AB and Ron. It will force Gasol, Bynum or Odom to defend the 3pt area opening the lanes for the rest.

13. YallMean

YallMean Member

His offense is not worth the defensive liability he brings. He is a 6 foul on Gasol.

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I was pumped to see him actually contribute during meaningful minutes for the Rockets. He will inevitably pick up his $3.5M player option for next season, so it's uplifting to know that there is some sliver of hope (however infinitecimal) that Brian Cook can make a contribution to the Houston Rockets in 2009-10 other than take up way too much cap space.

As for the rest of the Lakers series, I imagine he plays just long enough for either of two out of Scola, Landry and Hayes (with the other being on the floor with Cook) to catch his breath before quickly coming back into the game.

15. Seth

Seth Member

I was thinking the same thing, what about this guy? Gasole owned him in one play, but that was it, this game was played in Houston and is the first game i see no bs calls against Scola, Hayes or any of our bigs.

This WONT happen in LA so, most likely, this guy will have to fill in more than 5 mins.

I would love to see him alongside Scola or Landry a little bit, today LA was doubling Scola a lot, and when Landry came in he couldn´t get a single ball in the post, maybe we can open the defense for Scola and Landry who can score inside.

Also seemed to be a willing passer which is good.

I don´t mind using him alongside of Lowry-Artest-Battier-Scola or Landry, he can compensate Lowry´s lack of 3pt game, and Artest can cover Cook´s man moving cook over to Odom or Ariza (would be better) assuming Battier is on Kobe.

I think this is the best scenario i can think of.

16. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I have yet to see Cook contribute in a way that i would consider conducive to winning basketball. His defense is terrible and it only destroys our otherwise great rotations. He's not a good rebounder either.

I'd rather us just go smaller when our bigs are tired, James White would contribute more than this guy.

17. GirlsAloud

GirlsAloud Member

Last night I had a dream that he went crazy from the three point line, making shot after shot. So waking up this morning, I was feeling optimistic about the Rockets.

18. ILoveTheRockets

How do we make Brian Cook most effective against the Lakers?

I was just wondering some peoples opinions on what to do with him off the bench.

I know we need to space him out, and not give him the ball much. but that simply isn't going to cut it in the playoffs. Do the Rockets use him more in a Lamarcus Role and let him get his from the midrange if he gets a little hot hand in games, or just use him for mainly pick n rolls?

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I was listening to the Lakers announcers. They said Gasol should have a very easy time down low with Cook guarding him. I am sure Lakers people know Cook pretty well.

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

2 Cook threads already, gotta love the GARM.