1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Friendliest Rockets and Least Of All Time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by StaticC4, Apr 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. BlameTracy

BlameTracy Member

Winner.

1 person likes this.
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I know this is off topic but if the Rockets win (crosses fingers*) tonight. A group of us should meet up at the airport and greet them with signs and show them how exciteted and rowdy we feel.
    I love next to Hobby and I hear they land there.

3. kaninthy

kaninthy Member

CUTTINO-COOL GUY MET HIM AT CLUB GATSBY IN RICE VILLAGE
    DREAM-VERY VERY FREINDLY GUY HUMBLE TALK TO ANYONE. MEET HIM AT DEALERSHIP (I WORK AT MERCEDES BENZ GREENWAY SO SEEN LOT OF ROCKETS PLAYERS)
    YAO-SAW HIM AT DELAERSHIP ALSO BUT WAS LOOKING AT BUYING A GL W/ HIS WIFE
    JVG-SAW HIM AT WENDYS IN WEST HOSUTON ON BISSONETT W/ HIS KIDS EATING LUNCH SO DIDNT BOTHER HIM
    MO TAYLOR-COOL GUY MY SON WAS PLAYING WITH HIS DAUGHTER AT CHURCH ST CYRIL
    LUTHER HEAD-COOL GUY SIGNED MY BIZ CARD AT THE DEALERSHIP
    PAT EWING-SAW HIM AT DEALERSHIP JUST GAVE ME A STARE DOWN HAHA
    SHAWN RESPERT-VERY NICE GUY MET HIM WHEN HE WAS STILL THE SPORTS DIRECTOR AT RICE UNIVERSITY TOLD ME COULD GO TO THE GYM AND PLAY BALL ANYTIME
    RUDY T-SAW HIM AT GALLERIA BUT HE RAN OFF HAHAHA
    MARIO ELIE-VERY FREINDLY GUY NICE TO TALK TO HIM

4. abigwreck

abigwreck Member

I'm friends with AB on facebook and xbox live. That's the closest i've gotten to interacting with any rockets so I guess hes the coolest :D

5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

CHUCK HAYES.

=

class act.

6. DreamRoxCoogFan

I met othella harrington outside of a marble slab after my sister's graduation. I think he was surprised that some little kid was all excited to meet him. Now whenever I think about the setting and timing of that, I can't stop laughing.

I've met hakeem many times- great, nice, quiet man.

7. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

A very long time ago I was in line at Crystal night club. ... There was a side door to the left which suddenly flung open and almost hit me.... I turned around to say wtf?!?! Watch the eff out! And who is it standing there looking at me like he wanted me to say something? None other than Charles Barkley himself all I could muster was a "Ey whats up Chuck?" Dude was huge and I remembered hearing about him throwing someone through a window or something like that so I took it light.

I met Robert Horry at Champps during the Celtics Lakers playoffs last year. He was cool...told him not to retire that wed pick him up. ahah

8. binvegas

binvegas Contributing Member

Steve Francis is real cool
    Calvin Murphy is down to earth
    Rudy T is cool
    John Lucas will talk to any and everybody.
    Moochie is a normal everyday guy.
    Skip hangs at the club highrollers and shoots dice he crazy cool.

9. eric281

eric281 Member

I had some business dealings with Cato right after he signed the contract, and I felt like we had made a mistake instantly. He was very rude, and basically just came off like a thug.

10. eric281

eric281 Member

I used to work at the Mobile One in Sharpstown, probably 8-10 years ago. We had a few rockets/astros/other celeb customers, and I'd have to say that the nicest Rocket that ever came in was Matt Bullard. He had a silver vette, and the license plate was 'Bull 50'.

I will say though, the only celebrity who was ever a nicer guy was Shaq. He has a child with a woman who lives in Sugarland, and came in around the time that he won his first championship with the Lakers. He was extremely nice, and actually refused the default discount that we gave to celebrities because "I signed a hundred million dollar contract. I dont need a discount." His baby's mother was also extremely pleasant, and tipped very well.

11. rua2006

rua2006 Member

I met Vernon Maxwell when I was six. He didn't say much, but he signed my Rockets hat. He wasn't mean, but he didn't seem to be in the best mood.

I went to Steve Francis' basketball camp in middle school. He and Cuttino were pretty fun.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw Don Chaney roll out of the Chappelle show in Houston.
    We yelled at him and he acknowledged us.

Coach of the Year - Don Chaney!
    I would have told him that it wasn't his fault the Knicks suck, but now we all know that.

13. Microfridge

Microfridge Contributing Member

I don't think I've talked to any Rockets in person, but I saw JVG in Chipotle right by the USC campus (that's in Los Angeles :p ) right after he got fired by the Rockets. I didn't talk to him because I was too shy (which I regret), but I saw a woman approaching him and he seemed pretty nice.

He was with a bunch of people in USC polos. I wonder why he was there....

14. NorCal Texan

NorCal Texan Member

Worked at Westside Tennis Club in the late '90's when the Rockets Practice there.

SF3- Great guy. The first time I met him he was doing a radio interview, but afterwards made time to talk. At the time he loved the attention.

Mobley- Was alright. He didn't ignore me but could tell he was in a hurry. He had a bunch of kids with him.

Cato- Cool guy. Looks mean but friendly. He has/had a purple Escalade that changes colors.

W. Williams- He was cool and outgoing.

Cassell- Back when he was with the Bucks. He's cool and loud. He was entertaining everyone. You could tell he was glad to be in Houston.

Mo Taylor- Talk to him after he signed and welcomed him to Houston. He dropped me a $20 tip for his free meal probably cause I didn't bug him.

Rudy T- Great guy. Friendly and polite.

Carrol Dawson- Always took a break from his office and come down to have a ice cream cone. Most times more than one. Somedays he was in the mood to talk somedays not.

Management- Dennis Lindsey, Dean Cooper, Melvin Hunt, Mike Wells, and Jim Boylen would discuss basketball anytime or anywhere.

Mario Elie- He was with friends but was polite.

John Lucas- Cool guy. When he was coaching he was tough on them whether it was basketball or tennis.

John Lucas 3- Good Guy. This was when he was still at Bellaire. Played pickup games all the time.

Calvin Murphy- Talked to him after the Warriors game in Oakland and he was pretty short with me. I guess he was excited to get back to the hotel room.

Thats what I can remember off the top of my head.

Non Rockets

Antonio McDyess- Cool guy was rehabbing at Westside.

Damon Jones- Very outgoing and talkative and this was before he was the Monster that Shaq Created. He dropped a $50 spot.

The coolest athletes at Westside at that time was actually the Comets. Tina Thompson and Sheryl Swoopes. The meals were free and the whole team would take advantage of it. The Rockets not so much. They could get a free meal anywhere.

15. bravo six

bravo six Contributing Member

haha, ah, I see! :D

16. john_l

john_l Contributing Member

I met Vernon Maxwell in the parking lot at Best Buy. We had a beef and then he pulled a gun. The police came and he missed his radio show on 740. I talked to him recently - he said if Les would bail him out of jail and pay his back child support, he would punch another portland fan for us.