1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Artest gets MRI on ankle

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gfab-babyboi, Dec 9, 2008.

1. superx

superx Member

Ban this guy. :mad:

2. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Bummer. Oh well. Let him rest that ankle if he needs it. No point in pushing it now.

T-Mac is supposed to back in about a week from now right?

3. HombreDeHierro

slightly torn is basically negligible for these guys since theyre in such amazing shape. its not good for them, but certainly not anything to keep them from performing.

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

no I believe what you're referring to is a strain, which is diff from a sprain

5. Cook1ez

Cook1ez Member

I really don't like our medical staff. Why are they getting paid to "treat" the players when all they're doing is telling them if they feel good, they can play?
    Why not DO something about it man?? Tell him how to help heal it outside of the court, train with him to see how it's measuring up pain wise... No, just a simple, "if you feel good, play...we don't really wanna get into it."
    Lazy cowards.
    It's ridiculous.

6. MONON

MONON Member

What else do you want them to do? From past experience; you 1. wrap it and use it as pain allows 2. stay off it until #1 becomes an option or 3. have surgery to repair it and then follow #2 and #1.

Just because you don't like what the medical staff is doing, doesn't mean they aren't "treating" the problem.

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

We need to pick up Mobley. His heart problems won't even be an issue since the Rockets medical staff will clear him to play without examining him. Hell, sign the ghost of Reggie Lewis while you're at it, Rockets.

I'm not too worried about the Artest injury. It sounds like if he could sit for 8-10 days he could come back pretty healthy.

8. BiggestWinner

BiggestWinner Member

Yes, but "slightly torn" is torn. Ligaments are not as vascular as muscle tissue, and take much longer to heal. That's why in more serious cases, it nearly always requires surgery.

9. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Listen to Morey. He is saying that it is nothing serious, every player who is playing that many minutes for that long has pretty much the same.

10. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

When have I ever looked for reasons to bash TMac? Never. No one needs to look for reasons to bash him. He's given us plenty of reasons throughout his career.

People talk about him in the same breath as Kobe and Wade, when they have no business doing so. Those guys have heart. T-Mac has always been a ultra-talented chucker who publically states every training camp that he has never had a group of guys as talented as this one. According to how often he says his team has improved, you'd think he'd have his own dream team by now.

Don't get me wrong, the guy is a star in this league, but I totally question his heart, despite what he says in the media.

11. ACL1

ACL1 Member

from what i can read between the lines. it is probabely anterior talofibular (ATF) and possibly calcaneofibular (CFL) ligaments with old partial tears . these ligaments especailly the 1st one are easily torn with mild to moderate ankle sprain. they tend to be very weak. they do not require surgery unless the patient's ankle becomes chronically unstable which can happen with repeated sprains. ususally treated with return to normal activity and physical therapy. however, there is controversy on the high demand athlete if they should be primarily repaired. repair is very simle and takes about 6 weaks to heal with retun to playground ( in my patients) in about three months. I only repair this 50% of the time , only when the patient is grossly unstable. It is not a devastatingly painful injury. the most important part of the treatment is early return to activity so the ankle can get stronger fast and the joint does not stiffen up.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

^^
    ACL1,

Despite your moniker scaring me :) , it's great to have a doctor on the bbs to add to the discussion. thanks.

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

No its not.

Artest misses the same number of games as McGrady each season. Its been the case the past few seasons, even taking out the year Artest got suspended.

Don't be suprised if he doesnt reach 70 games played this year cuz he's only done it 4 times in 9 previous NBA seasons. So its not so much a "curse", Artest is merely just fitting in
    :eek:

14. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

It's not the end ofthe world. He is playing injured and playing well. He is a trooper and it should heal over time.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Does that mean you think Ron needs to be repaired? He has a reputation for being unstable.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Thanks great information !

DD

17. ButtZilla

ButtZilla Member

Ron Artest, true warrior! ;)

18. ACL1

ACL1 Member

I am not senator Frist. I can not comment on specific patient form long distance w/o examination. my comments were basically made on a hypothetical patient based on what i interpreted from the news release from the MRI. i watch every game and (20 years now) all i commented on was that base on the news release it sounded more or less like a routine ankle injury for me. i would bet anyone that has played competitive basketball at one point or another rolled their ankles and more often than not you partially disrupt your ATF when that happens. and most people recover just fine w/o surgery. Competitive athletes are different because of the demand they put on the ankle. Even in these patients the decision to surgery is on a case by case basis. If Ron Artest had the type of the ankle instability that required surgery he would not be able to do what he did last night and run up and down the court. Not a matter of toughness, the unstable ankle can not handle the directional changes that basketball or tennis require.

i made my comments to tell let the pessimists no that the season is not "over" . I think Knee pain and weakness is a lot worse than an ankle injury. even though ankle repair is my bread and butter and don't do knees.

19. ACL1

ACL1 Member

lol, you mean you've never heard of the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

20. bravo six

bravo six Contributing Member

I wish that was a joke :(