1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[YAHOO]Ex-Argentina coach Pekerman nears deal to lead U.S. team

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by leroy, Nov 17, 2006.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Ex-Argentina coach Pekerman nears deal to lead U.S. team

November 17, 2006
    MEXICO CITY (Ticker) - Former Argentina coach Jose Pekerman is on the verge of taking over the United States national team.

According to the U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati, a deal is only being held up by some minor stumbling blocks.

"We did not sign the contract yet, but it just lacks some details," Gulati told Mexican newspaper La Opinion on Friday.

Pekerman, who took Argentina to the quarterfinals at the 2006 World Cup in Germany, is believed to already have an assistant and translator in place to work in North America should he take charge.

His assistant is expected to be Fernando Clavijo, who coached Haiti in 2003 and has also worked in Major League Soccer.

"Clavijo already signed his contract, but did Pekerman do it?" asked a journalist from the paper.

"Yes, we will see it in the Copa de Oro for Women's final (on November 26)," responded Gulati.

According to La Opinion, Pekerman would have green-lighted the decision to accept the United States' invitation to the 2007 Copa America in Venezuela.

Others linked with the post, held by Bruce Arena from 1998 through the 2006 World Cup, include former Germany boss Jurgen Klinsmann; Sir Alex Ferguson's No. 2 at Manchester United, Carlos Queiroz; and Chivas USA coach Bob Bradley.

Updated on Friday, Nov 17, 2006 4:19 pm EST

I'm completely suprised by this. I never thought he was even a candidate. Interesting move. They did one thing that most of us thought was necessary. Get a coach from outside the US that can instill a more professional attitude and training. I'm not sure what happened with Klinsmann. I would have thought Queiroz or Peter Nowak before Pekerman. I can only say WOW :eek:

For those of you non-soccer fans or those that just feel the need to bash the game at all costs, please try to contain your childish ways at making fun of the man's name. I'm sure there will be some Luther Head jokes as the first things in your mind. Please try to restrain yourselves.

2. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

Wow, I haven't seen this anywhere else. I am very surprised :eek: I thought for sure it would be Klinsmann.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'm a futbol fan but I intend to make full use of Pekerman related humor.

4. leroy

5. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I've read his name mentioned but didn't really thing it would happen. I wonder if Klinsmann turned the job down or just took too long to decide. Regardless I think he'll do well and is a good choice. I wonder if we'll see more hispanic players in the national team with him in charge?

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Why would you want more Hispanics, DrLudicrous? Is that a stereotype? ;)

In other news, and I know you all don't give a darn, HUGO SANCHEZ was named Mexico's new coach unanimously by the 18 MLF clubs. Carry on...

7. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Soccer is okay, i play it at the park occasionally, but man, I am going to have fun with this guys name.

8. leroy

I've been meaning to ask you about your thoughts on that. Personally, I hate the move. I hate it because I think he will do very well and maybe, just maybe, get Mexico over the hump. Although, I think a lot depends on Hugol's ability to shut his mouth. He has a terrible case of foot-in-mouth disease and it could cause problems. If he just does his job, Mexico could take that next step.

With Pekerman in the fold for the US, the rivalry might have just gone to another level. The US and Mexico were already far and away the class of CONCACAF. The both may have gone to a level that the region has never seen. The race in CONCACAF is now for those 3rd and 4th spots in the WC.

9. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Is this the same Pekerman who didn't play Messi or Saviola against the Germans and took Riquelme off after going up 1-0 in the WC?? Too cautious for my taste, he had so much talent and never learned how to use it to his advantage. They could have easily beat Italy or France.
    If they wanted an Argentinian why didn't they get Marcelo Bielsa, he plays a very attacking style which, I think would suit the U.S. And the guy has the best sideline presence of any coach I can remember and acts pretty weird every now and then. :D

10. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I was just thinking he may be more inclined to give the young hispanic talent a shot, or be able to convince them to play for the US over another country. I'm not really sure if there's any border line players in those positions though. Also, he may do like La Volpe and try to bring in a few players.

11. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

From what I've heard, the deal with Klinnsman fell through after he said he wouldn't take charge until January 2008, which would leave us with a temp. coach for both Copa America and the Gold Cup. I'm not a big Pekerman fan.

12. leroy

I think I would have preferred they make a stronger run at Queiroz. He's got knowledge of the US game and of the MLS (former NY/NJ coach) and he's a very good coach. Rumors were swirling that he was waiting for Scolari to fail and then take over the Portugal job. I just think he might have been a better choice...especially if Klinsmann wasn't going to be available.

13. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Im Argentine, and me and all my friends hate Pekerman. Good Luck.

14. RocketFan007

No thanks to Queiorz, what the hell has he ever done as a manager? He's a solid #2, but not as the #1.

15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Pekerman

16. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

(snicker snicker):D :D :D

I love selective editing!

17. RocketFan007

Gulati denies Pekerman claims.

http://www.soccertimes.com/usteams/2006/men/nov19.htm

18. leroy

Well, that is interesting. Maybe there is still hope for Klinsmann. They do need to get someone in the fold quickly. Next year is a busy one and it starts early with a game against Denmark in Jan. I've also seen a rumor that there might be a friendly with Mexico in Feb.