1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo]Klinsmann talking with U.S soccer

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by leroy, Oct 26, 2006.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Klinsmann talking with U.S. Soccer

By RONALD BLUM, AP Sports Writer
    30 minutes ago

Former German national team coach Juergen Klinsmann is engaged in informal talks with the U.S. Soccer Federation that could lead to him taking over as coach of the American national team.

Klinsmann, who coached his native Germany to a surprising berth in the World Cup semifinals this summer, told The Associated Press in a telephone interview Thursday that he's been speaking with USSF president Sunil Gulati.

"We've had a couple of conversations. I'm evaluating everything that comes up," Klinsmann said. "I'll stay in touch with Sunil and see what it leads to. It's a very casual and relaxed correspondence."

Klinsmann resigned as Germany's coach three days after the tournament, saying he wanted to spend more time with his family. He lives in suburban Los Angeles with his American-born wife and is regarded by many as the favorite to replace Bruce Arena, who was told by Gulati in mid-July that his contract would not be renewed.

"Sooner or later, I have to get back into coaching," Klinsmann said.

Gulati, who has refused to comment on his talks with any potential replacement, repeated Thursday that he hopes to have a new coach in place by the end of the year.

Klinsmann is a close friend of Arena's and attended some U.S. team practices when the players worked out in California. He said there isn't any timetable on his talks with Gulati.

"Obviously, those are discussions that will continue, and we'll see where they lead," he said.

In announcing Arena's departure, Gulati said his successor should have "some knowledge of American soccer, experience, leadership, a track record of success."

"Does Juergen Klinsmann have those qualities? He probably does," Gulati said then. "He's had success with the German team; he has a much better handle on American soccer scene than someone who hasn't spent time here; he's inquisitive. He's an intelligent guy, multilingual with a lot of very positive qualities."

The 42-year-old Klinsmann's stint in charge of Germany opened him up to considerable criticism for his decision to commute from California. But those complaints dissipated as the World Cup host advanced to the semifinals before losing to Italy, the eventual champion.

"I've lived in this country for eight years now, so I've followed soccer development in the United States," he said. "It's definitely a very different situation in this country. Obviously, the approach here in the U.S. would be a totally different one. The player-development aspect is a huge aspect."

After advancing to the World Cup quarterfinals in 2002, its best showing since the initial tournament in 1930, the United States was knocked out in the first round this year. Playing in the most difficult of the eight groups, the Americans lost to the Czech Republic 3-0, tied Italy 1-1 and lost to Ghana 2-1.

Klinsmann was a star forward for Germany, playing in the 1990, 1994 and 1998 World Cups and scored 11 goals, tied for fifth in the history of the tournament. He was a member of the German teams that won the 1990 World Cup and 1996 European Championships, and he scored 47 goals in 108 international appearances.

At the club level, he played for Stuttgarter Kickers, VfB Stuttgart and Bayern Munich in Germany, Internazionale of Milan and Sampdoria in Italy, AS Monaco in France and Tottenham Hotspur in England.

I suppose this was a pretty obvious move for US Soccer. They should make a seriouse run at Jurgen. He can help this program the most. Maybe he can convince Donovan to quit being such a p***y and go to Europe.

2. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Didn't people call this about 5 minutes after Arena got canned? It's good to see that the soccer federation is going after a proven coach. Plus his style will hopefully fit in with the players (it's a more freewheeling offensive style, isn't it?).

3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I don't know about this. Isn't soccer supposed to be all international and stuff? I don't see how bringing in a Klansman is going help. If you get one of those guys, you can kiss any Brazilian talent goodbye.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What the hell are you talking about?

5. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I think it's a promising sign that he's talking with the USSF. They'll do anything the can to get him so it's just a question of if he wants to or not. The fact that he lives in the US already and it's a low pressure job will probably help a lot.

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Oh, sorry. I thought it was "Klansman." I see now it is "Klinsmann." Still, you probably do not want the Klan involved in soccer... just saying.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This would be AWESOME news for US soccer and give us a real chance in 2010.

DD

8. Irfan

Irfan Member

If the US team really wants to be competitive for the 2010 world cup, the MLS will have to give freedom to some players to go overseas and refine their talent. I know that means less big name players for the MLS, but it would probably produce a better result for US soccer.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

MAKE IT HAPPEN

10. updawg

updawg Member

I don't like the idea of cutting and running. we need to stay the course with Arena. :)

11. DrLudicrous

I agree with you, but the only player that has really been held back is Dempsey. And I think he'll be gone in January so he's not really losing out on that much time. I guess you could also say that they're holding back Eddie Johnson, but I'm not too sure how good he's going to become and I think he's holding himself back more than anybody.

You also can't expect them to sell a player for less than they are worth simply to do the player a favor.

12. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

That's good news Klinsmann for the U.S. Hopefully he can pick a more diverse core of players. How is that there are many naturalized citizens of hispanic descent in this country, and the nat'l team is void of any?

13. DrLudicrous

Most of them are either not good enough or if they are would rather play for their home countries. There are a few exceptions though (Mastroeni, and Adu come to mind). You would think there would be more kids born to immigrant parents on the team, but US Soccer relies heavily on top tier youth clubs and college soccer to find and develop talent, so a lot of good players get overlooked because they don't have the financial means to make those teams and be discovered. Hopefully since MLS is starting to require all of their teams to have youth systems that will change, also Klinsmann has said that youth development would be a big priority for the future US team so if he takes the job that area should improve as well.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

15. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

lol, I hope you were joking in your first post.

16. DrLudicrous

17. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

This is great news ... We have the talent to do a lot better than we did, but we need some fresh ideas at the top to get over the hump i believe.

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

You get my comedy, DrLudicrous, yet, you top me. Nice. ;) Telefutura's Contacto Deportivo broke these news a month ago. In Mexico, we're ready for another Mexican to lead us to the promised land. We've got plenty of young talent.

Ugh... I hate to say it but... so does the Estados Unidos. Too bad they wasted ALL OF IT during this past cup.