1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

{Little League}11 Year Old Girl hurls Perfect Game

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by across110thstreet, May 19, 2005.

1. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

this girl was fearless: not only is she the only girl in her entire little league, not only did she throw a perfect game, she struck out all 18 batters in the 6 inning game she pitched...

gives a whole new meaning to "you throw like a girl"

In a league of her own: Girl hurls perfect game against boys

OAKFIELD, N.Y. -- Katie Brownell is a shy 11-year-old girl of few words. But when she gets on the baseball field, she lets her pitching do the talking.

Brownell is the only girl in the Oakfield-Alabama Little League baseball program in this community about halfway between Buffalo and Rochester. On Saturday, that didn't stop her from accomplishing something league officials can't remember anybody _ boy or girl _ ever doing.

She threw a perfect game for the Dodgers in an 11-0 victory over the Yankees.

How dominant was she? She struck out all 18 batters she faced in the six-inning victory. She never got to a three-ball count on any of them.

"As far back as I can remember, I don't ever recall hearing of a perfect game," said Eric Klotzbach, league president.

Katie said she knew she had a chance for something special in the fourth inning. Fortunately, Katie's coach, Joe Sullivan, realized that, too.

He had intended to pull Katie at some point during the game and was ready to do it when the scorekeeper told him she had a no-hitter going.

"I can't pull her out," Sullivan said after taking a look at the score book himself.

So, Katie kept mowing down the opposition and completed the task. Then the place exploded.

"Everybody congratulated me," Katie said.

Katie, who is in 6th grade, also pitched a one-hitter in the first game of the year. She accounted for all 15 outs in the five innings she pitched in that game. She had 14 strikeouts and got the other out on a grounder to the mound that she tossed to first.

"She's been pitching for three years, but she's really came on and excelled this year," said Jeff Sage, manager of the team, who didn't get to see Saturday's game because of his job as a firefighter in Rochester. "She bats really well. She's a solid, all-around ballplayer."

At the plate, Katie's hitting .714 through the team's first three games.

Her sense for the game developed from playing baseball with siblings and friends.

"She had older brothers and we were always outside, so the minute she could pick up a ball, she was" playing, said her mother, Denise Bischoff.

In her first year with the Dodgers, Katie, the daughter of Mark Brownell, played with her older brothers, Jonathan and Joshua. Initially, she wasn't even going to play baseball this year, and instead eyed the softball team.

"Two weeks before the first game, when was it too late for her to switch over to softball, she decided to stick with hardball," Sullivan said. "Fortunately for us."

2. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, I haven't seen Sandlot in so long.

3. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

After the game, I bet all the boys on her team told her she kicks ass.

4. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

I wonder if she's going to stick with baseball or go with softball which she initially wanted to do.

I suppose she has more of a future in softball, if she's thinking that far ahead...

5. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Ya think?

6. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

please.....

i'da rocked one off here easy.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

When she has boobs she'll be able to throw a no-no every game.

8. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Ezekiel Astacio better watch his back...

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

This happened about an hour and some change from me, and a couple kids around school are talking about it. I'm surprised that it made national news...I'm also surprised that people are talking about it here(The BBS).

10. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

in all fairness, I heard them talking about it on 1010 WINS, ny's AM talkradio station, then i Google Newsed "perfect game" and found NY Newsday was reporting it.

when I got home, it was on CNN.SI

11. AggieRocket

AggieRocket Contributing Member

Don't give her too much credit. She's really 27 like that Almonte kid from South Bronx :) No seriously, the girl's got my respect.

12. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

I guess I don't see it as that big of a deal. At that age, often times girls are bigger than boys.

Don't get me wrong, a perfect game is a great accomplishment, but it was little league.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

How many little league games have you seen where every single batter struck out?