1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SANFL Grand Final.....GO EAGLES

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by SmeggySmeg, Sep 7, 2000.

1. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

My local footy team the Woodville-West Torrens EAGLES are playing in the grand final on sunday arvo against central district (who have never won a premiership). I will be at the game going nuts cheering for the eagles, who finished top after the regular season, then lost the semi agianst centrals and then won into the grand final by beating sturt in the preliminary final last week.

For anyone interested you can listen to the game using the following link
    http://local.abc.net.au/adelaide

GO Eagles, my tip is Eagles by 20-30 points

Here's a story on the team selctions for the game

COMPOSED Central District brought in Paul Geister and Nathan Steinberner as expected but would not risk resolute defender Scott Lee for the SANFL grand final against Woodville-West Torrens on Sunday.

The Dogs opted against the experience of hard-nutted Lee – who has missed five weeks with a deep-seated thigh strain – for the extra pace of Matthew Slade. Lee moved freely at training this week.

Named on the bench for the 2.05pm start, the 175cm, 72kg Slade picked up five possessions in the last term of the second semi-final after coming off the bench. He can be used on the wing, as a rover or even a ground-level goalsneak and his versatility probably swayed Dogs selectors.

Geister moved back to his customary full back position after missing the second semi-final and versatile Damian Hicks moved across to the pocket. Steinberner, named alongside Slade on the bench, is likely to start on a wing where he can exploit his blistering pace.

Steinberner is a natural match for speedster Adam Ugrinic in a clash likely to dictate which side has the most fluency coming out of attack. Ugrinic is often used out wide when the Eagles defenders switch play.

The Bulldogs generate most drive from a six-way midfield rotation and will not deviate from their tried-and-true mix. Born-again wingman Danny Stevens, named as a goalsneak, Rick Macgowan, Steinberner, super Stuart Dew, Daniel Healy and twins James and Chris Gowans will thread through the midfield. Brad Currie and wingman Murray Hamblin were dropped.

The Eagles made one change to the starting 18 that won the preliminary final last week. It named a squad of 26, although Brent Frewen, David Gallagher, Michael Phillipou, Jason Dylan and Ken McGregor can probably be discounted.

John McCarthy came in at half-forward with Andrew Crowell moved on to the bench as one of eight possible interchange players.

Crunching first-choice centreman Andrew Beveridge was again named at half-forward, in a thin ruse, and Gavin Colville in the pivot. They might interchange throughout the day but Beveridge's toughness would be critical in the centre against Dogs skipper Daniel Hulm and the prickly Gowans brothers.

The Eagles' Chris Kluzek (71.29) – who kicked 2.2 last week – will start at thegoalfront and his brother Matthew at half-forward.

Disciplined and talented Adam Pearce, who subdued Sturt rover Tim Weatherald last week, was named as a rover but is almost certain to tag crafty Dogs centreman Macgowan, Stevens or Dew.

The Eagles are sure to target the dangerous Healy – who has no trouble sinking goals from outside the 50 metre arc. Named as an unlikely wingman, Robert Shirley is a candidate for the job but he has also been used successfully on Macgowan in the past.

Although named in the back pocket, slippery Jon Floreani will start on a wing opposite Ugrinic.

Ever-green captain Andrew Rogers, 36 – who will be the oldest player on the field in the absence of the unlucky Lee – and Mark Stevens will line up alongside each other at half-back.

Dashing Darren Holland will slip into the back pocket from half-back and follower Justin Cicolella might start deep in attack with McCarthy in the centre for what will surely be a torrid opening. McCarthy sat out the preliminary final after twinging a nerve in his back which affected his hamstring.

No helmets in this form of Footy

Smeg

------------------
    Discombobulation Imminent

2. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Could you please translate that into English?? [​IMG]

Seriously, when I was alot younger in my BC days (before children), my buddies and I made it a point to gather around the TV on Sundays, drink lots of beer, and watch Aussie rules football on ESPN. Man, those are some crazy players over there!

The sad part of it all was after the match, with way too much alcohol in us, we would re-enact the games in the parking lot of the apartments I lived in. I'll bet I could have gotten on ESPN with those games. Or at least on America's funniest videos.

------------------
    Save our children from the TAAS test:
    TAAS test report card
    TAAS test fact sheet

Dog lover here....cats beware.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

? [​IMG]?

------------------
    Falk that Mo Fo!!!

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

well if you've seen the tight pants they wear they certainly NEED hard nuts!!!!!

------------------

5. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Yeah, those aussies aren't the sharpest tool in the shed, if you know what I mean. [​IMG]

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

[This message has been edited by BobFinn* (edited September 07, 2000).]

6. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

thats a tough call, Bob

at least our referees don't throw weighted-flags in our players eyes.

------------------
    Discombobulation Imminent

7. BobFinn*

True, True LOL [​IMG]

------------------

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Eagles SUCK!!!!

At least the ones from Philly

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Stupid threads are not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Vote for the Rockets & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

9. BobFinn*

03 sounds like a Cowgirl fan [​IMG]

------------------