1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros trade Hampton

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Francis3, Dec 23, 1999.

1. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

i think we could have gotten more but , man roger cedeno is awesome , isn't he the one that led the mlb in stolen bases. i just dont know why we ever gave up everet.

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

I think it was cedeno or that guy from the Diamondbacks. I dont remember alot of Dotel. Is he good?

3. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Do you guys think Alou will be here?

4. PhiSlammaJamma

So many questions....

1) Why Cendeno, another OF? We have too many already.

2) Why not use Hampton to get Griffey?

5. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Living in NYC,I watch the Mets alot.

The Astros got screwed ROYALLY! Yea, Hampton was going to fly after this year. But you gotta get back more pitching than what you just got. Dotel is not that good. I watched him about 80 percent of his starts. He is talented. He is young. But you can always tell when a guy is going to be a big time pitcher. He won't be.

As usual, the Astros trade backwards instead of the right way. Hampton, Bell and Alou for Griffey sounds better, doesn't it? This trade suck for you guys. CedeƱo? Fast and thats about it.

You NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER trade great pitch ing for unproven pitching. You NEVER, EVER, EVER trade great pitching for ANYTHING. You go and get pitching. Pitching is what wins. Why do the Braves and the Yankees know this. Why don't the Astros learn from them?

Griffey was offered to the Braves for Millwood, A.Jones, Klesko. The Braves said no. Why? Because they don't like to give up pitching or pitching prospects that are coming soon to a theater near you. YOU NEVER DO THAT.

I cannot believe that Houston still does trades like this. After the Nolan Ryan trade, I thought they would learn to be smarter. I guess not.

[This message has been edited by Almu (edited December 24, 1999).]

6. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Almu,
    Just a point of clarification, the Astros did not trade Ryan. The former owner (the yankee carpetbagger McMullen) tried to low ball Ryan on his contract, so Ryan signed with the Rangers.
    My question is this.....are the 'Stros trying to become a National League version of the Indians? Do they expest to beat teams by a score of 12-10, just so they can advertise an "exciting, offensive ballclub"? Offense may sell tickets, but pitching wins championships.

7. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Behad,

Thanks for the clarification. My mistake.

The Astros might get another SP, but will he be anywhere near the quality of Hampton?

A lefthanded pitcher is a luxury. A good one like Hampton is as rare as finding oil in your backyard.

Cedeno can run, but what is the point of that when next inning you give the run right back?

Now, the Astros have fallen from probably number 2 in the National League behind the Braves to a sure 4 behind Arizona, Mets, and Braves. And what do all these teams have in common? I will give you a minute to think about that.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The astros know pitching wins. They also know Dotel is better than nothing. Cedeno may lack power, but a walk equals a double for him. Figuring the numbers of SB and 2B for Biggio there is above a 30% chance someone is on second or better when bagwell bats for the first time.

Also the astros are trying to sign another SP who will sign longterm.

Ollie,
    I can't believe you got a C in A-chem. I was pissed off when I got a C. You actually went to class. I thought I did very well on the final. I knew just enough short answers to get perfect there. I knew one essay well and one of the problems very well. That is why I finished so quickly.

I am missing a process test. My car is still in Austin with car problems. It won't start, but it is getting gas, air, and fire. Lack of mobility in houston sux. I won my playoff game and will defeat you in the superbowl. In about an hour and twenty minutes Emmitt should start the ass whoopin.