1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justin Verlander shut down 'a couple of weeks' with forearm strain

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Jul 26, 2020.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The world in general doesn't feel right.

awc713, msn, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What's your take on Framber thus far? The stuff has always been there, but it seems like his fastball may have ticked up a half notch, and he's learned that it's ok to not pitch with runners on.

I'm having Eny Cabreja flashbacks of a lefty who can chew up a bunch of innings with a bit above average production for a number of years.

TWS1986 likes this.
  3. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Valdez looks pretty good. I don't know what his long-term future is, but he's certainly one of the brighter spots of this **** show of a season.

4. Nook

Nook Member

The talent is undeniable, his success or failure is completely linked to his ability to throw strikes. He was walking 6 per 9 innings if I remember correctly and his strand rate was like 66%...... so basically his walks were accounting for 2+ runs a game and that was with a BABIP of around .300 which is excellent.

Right now he just isn't walking anyone. Some of that is guys are swinging at balls, but a lot of it is that he is throwing strikes. I think we will see the BABIP for him creep up some but it wont matter much. His strike out to walk ratio right now is 6:1 and I am really skeptical he keeps that up. If he keeps that up, he will be better than Dallas Kuechel was in his prime (as a player) and will be a multi time all star.

Realistically I think he could get down from 6 walks per 9 like he has the last few years, to 3 walks which is what he has had in the minors. If he does that he is a #2-3 starter for a long time and is very valuable. He is a guy that gets strikeouts and ground outs and can pitch deep into games. Anything lower than 3 walks per game and he is an ace pitcher.... but with his movement that will be possible but tough.

Also he could use another pitch to complement his fastball and curve. He has worked on a change up with Strom but at this point it is a confidence issue. Right now he is throwing it more than before.

With guys like Valdez (and James) the talent excites you (and Valdez is very talented) but I am skeptical until I see a long track record of improvement throwing strikes. There have been a number of guys like Tim Redding and Frances Martes and many, many others that had movement but couldn't throw strikes.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Valdez has 125 mlb innings under his belt, and he’s not that young. I’m highly encouraged by his early work this season but I think there’s limits as to how much better we can expect him to be compared to his overall body of work to this point. At this point I think it’s safe to count on him as at least a spot starter or long reliever, a guy any team would be thrilled to have as their 6th or 7th best SP entering a season. And there’s probably a >50% chance he will be a good back end starter over the next few seasons. Small chance of being a good #3, but that would be gravy, and if he were to become more than that I would be shocked.

6. phasors28

phasors28 Member

I was hoping Framber could turn into another Wandy Rodriguez. Maybe asking too much.

7. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think that is asking too much. He just has issues walking guys. Some pitchers figure it out and a lot do not.

8. Nook

Nook Member

I get where you are coming from, and while it isn't the most likely outcome, I wouldn't go so far as shocked simply because his stuff is already good and his problem is a single issue.... throwing strikes. Sometimes that improves with age, and sometimes mechanical changes. It varies from pitcher to pitcher, so odds are hard to really nail down, but his walks for his career are so extreme, that even a decrease to a pedestrian 4/9 greatly impacts his performance.

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Poor JV .. HOF career going to be tarnished with these snake oil salesmen.

Houston needs to purge each and every single player from the 2017 roster in order to fully heal and move forward. Sucks .. I know, I like these guys too, but its the only way.

CrazyJoeDavola likes this.
  10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Eny Cabreja is better. Younger version.

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t think that’s too much to ask, although it is probably close to the upper end of potential outcomes. Wandy was a solid #3 starter from ‘07-‘12, posting 18 fWAR over those 6 seasons.

No Worries likes this.
  12. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

I don't think so.

RayRay10, htwnbandit and phasors28 like this.
  13. HTown2017Champs

Not the entire roster. But Osuna in particular, that would certainly help.
    Some guys (Marwin, Beltran, Gattis, Marisnick, White, McCann [alleged non-banger]) are already gone. A few more are impending FA. Of course we can't keep a whole core together 100%. I think this may even be getting into some of our guys' heads. Personally, I want our franchise to do its best to restore integrity and respect. How, though, is the question. Let's hope our guys can wake up soon and shut up the haters.

htwnbandit and TWS1986 like this.
  14. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I don't see A-Rod being exiled from all existence despite being an unrepentant repeat offender of a more heinous violation of the sport.

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

You sound like you need to pick a new team.

RayRay10, msn, htwnbandit and 7 others like this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I'd pay Correa and let Springer walk. If this situation is getting into the heads of all the non hitting players then they need to go - it will not get any better. Correa, Altuve and Bregman is a solid core with Yordan cleaning up. You can fill in around those guys.

Strommy needs to find some more diamonds in the rough, since pitching seems to be the biggest black eye on the roster so far this year and into the coming years.

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its true. Thats the sad reality. The Astros cheating scandal has given guys like Orel Hershiser and Alex Rodriguez liberty to cleanse their sins by having the Astros take over as villains of the game. Suddenly allowing Pete Rose into the HOF has gained steam and I'll laugh next when Barry Bonds gets more heartfelt sympathy. We cheated. It will take a long time for that to go away. 1919 "Blacksox" Scandal is about as bad as it can ever get and that went away .. eventually. Kinda. LOL.

Only 100 more years for the Astros!

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You strike me as a guy who would tell someone to "go back where they came from"

I'll continue to root for the Astros and I can be as critical as I want of them. Sorry that hurts your feelings.

19. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but no one is blowing up the team anytime soon over this.

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

That remains to be seen. If the guys are damaged and cant hit anymore because of all the peripheral noise what good are they? Can you imagine how bad it will be once fans return to the stands?

TWS1986 likes this.