1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[R.I.P.] Kamala the Ugandan Giant

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It’s being reported he died from COVID-19. He’s had all kinds of health issues towards the end of his career including HBP and diabetes leading to leg amputations and being on life support. It’s supposed that he contracted COVID when he went in for dialysis. He was apparently a real nice guy in real life. I still remember him wrestling on Houston Wrestling back in the 80s. RIP big dude.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/kamala-ugandan-giant-james-harries-dies_n_5f30e408c5b64d7a55f57dab

https://www.kamalaspeaks.com/

2. Roscoe Arbuckle

I saw this 5 years ago when he lost his legs to Diabeetus.

Sad then. Sad now.

3. body slam

body slam Member

One of my all time favorites. His Houston Wrestling feud with Hacksaw Duggan in '85 was great.

boomboom likes this.
  4. TimDuncanDonaut

i used to have home vhs tape of his matches r.i.p.

he had the don't know how to pin bit.

[​IMG]

B-Bob likes this.
  5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

So Kamala Harris passed away? Why isn’t this bigger news?

TWS1986 likes this.
  6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Did you think of that yourself, or watched Faux News?

7. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

RIP. Loved watching him. Would only be fitting to have his handler stand by the casket during the funeral. Sleep well big man.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  8. SuraGotMadHops

I remember a skit where Slick tried to domesticate him and took him bowling.

9. Nook

Nook Member

I hate to be that guy....... but I hope people look at his story and try to eat better and take better care of themselves. It is a miracle he made it to 70.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He lived 3 years longer then what the average black man born this year in Mississippi is expected to live.

B-Bob likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

I know, and that is a big, big part of the problem.

African American men, especially in the deep South do not live long......... the diet is typically terrible from a health perspective. The quality and availability of medical care in not acceptable, neither is the level of systemic poverty. Diabetes is no joke, it really needs to be pressed how destructive it is when it isn't properly treated.

I try to make a larger argument beyond black males, because it is easy for people to dismiss it if it applies only to black men. The reality is that while it is less of a problem in other communities, it is still a serious problem. Heart disease and diabetes are so destructive in this country. We have men with diminished health and quality of life by 40, and dying of heart disease or suffering from diabetes and then death starting in their 50's.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very sad to hear. I remember him as a kid but haven't really watched Pro-Wrestling in decades. Didn't know about him losing his legs.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very true. At the risk of moving this to the D&D but there is a discussion regarding problems in black culture and health outcomes are definitely a problem with black Americans and part of that is the food culture.