1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Conservative homeowner arrested for shooting would-be thief

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you shoot anyone on your property at night for any reason, you're risking getting into trouble with the law. If it's so important to protect your property, put up a wall around your property and electrify it so no one can get in. That's better than shooting anyone who walks on your grass at night.

2. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Uber right wing nazis target blacks, and white Antifa for stealing

vlaurelio likes this.
  3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

If you can't decide whether deadly force is legally warranted in particular situations then you shouldn't be allowed to own a gun.

Patience and DVauthrin like this.
  4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Laws change as society changes. For right now, society allows the strong to prey on the weak.

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Absolutely Not.

What happened to Floyd was a totally different thing - He was face down in handcuffs. That's a far cry from creeping around someone's home at 3am stealing.

Chauvin should rot in that jail cell for the duration.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I posted a link to the law earlier in the thread ... which was the premise of my original post - That guy wouldn't be charged in Texas.
    You can use deadly force to stop a thief from stealing your property in Texas.
    After dark the laws are even more in favor of the home owner.

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Texas Penal Code 9.41?

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

That doesn't change the fact that I have seen people post that Floyd would be alive today had he done nothing wrong.

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Probably would be alive today if he'd committed to a crime free life.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He'd also probably be alive today if a cop didn't murder him, amirite?

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You have the right to physically confront the robber to regain your possessions. In that confrontation of trying to get your possessions back, they try to assault you, that's when deadly force is authorized. You can't shoot someone because they are running away with your tv. You can shoot someone if someone is running away with your tv, you catch up to them and try to grab it back and the assailant tries to assault you in the process.

DVauthrin likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

Probably would have had a crime free life if the laws of the universe had him born into a upper middle class family.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Comparison to the Floyd case I don't think fit. George Floyd was in custody of an LEO. This is a homeowner shooting someone over property.

To me the issues of this case are:
    1. Should someone be shot over property?
    2. Is there a certain value that makes property acceptable to shoot someone?
    3. Can a homeowner shoot someone committing a crime on their property even if they don't represent an immediate threat?

Corrosion and fchowd0311 like this.
  14. fchowd0311

1. No unless given specific unique circumstances like in my point number 2

2. Unless it's a post apocalyptic scenerio where you have the last stock of insulin for your diabetic mother and someone stealing it would be a matter of life and death, then yes. If the property that is stolen is not readily replaceable and is property that sustains life such as medication that would be the only time for me where it would be acceptable to shoot someone over property. Outside of that context, I don't think it's acceptable to shoot someone over property

3. I guess that depends on what "immediate threat" means. Do you feel the perpetrator is a risk of re-entering the property to finish the job of harming you?

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

My point was how people react. There are those who argue that Floyd would be alive had he not allegedly committed a criminal act, just as those who argue the woman would not have been shot had she not committed a criminal act.

There is no comparison in the two outcomes, but there is comparison in people's reactions as evidenced in this thread.

Corrosion likes this.
  16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Probably would be.

17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Just because more poor people statistically do crime doesn't mean he, or the others, didn't choose to do wrong and are ultimately sewing the seeds of their own destruction.

He made many bad decisions in his life, and it's very clear.

Sadly we mostly make our own luck... good or bad... based on the actions we choose. His bad luck caught up with him.

Of course statistically, it's very rare for such a murder to happen. So it's a very much bad luck. Thankfully the murderer was arrested and there will be legal justice brought for the family.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Being slowly murdered in broad daylight by a policeman isn't bad luck, it's a felony.

Patience likes this.
  19. fchowd0311

I suggest reading @rocketsjudoka comments about comparing his life and upbringing to Floyd's. Its a good example of an empathetic take. You need help practicing your empathy skills.

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

For that officer it's a felony. And the bad luck element is just happening to be in a position to be murdered by the police enough times. Still bad luck. Not excusing the murder. I think you think I'm excusing it but I'm not. I just said he'd probably be alive if he'd made better choices. Don't do crime.. don't be on drugs... don't point guns at pregnant women's stomachs and rob them... don't cheat at life... simply things.