1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New yankee sign stealing info?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Htown Legend, Jun 13, 2020.

1. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the Astros turned it up to 11, but the Yanks (and probably others) were doing it in-game for years. Semantics, sure, but cheating is cheating. I'm sure more will come out eventually.

2. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

When Beltran got to Houston Carlos made the comment to the players that we were “behind The times” in sign-stealing. That says volumes about the prevalent nature of cheating in MLB. Prior to Houston, the last three teams Carlos played for was STL, NYY and TEX. So on what team do we think he cut his teeth on the cheating system? All three or NY? I’m going to go out on a limb and say it started in NY

3. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Cheating is cheating. Damn right. In my mind the Astros 2017 title isn't tainted any more than the MLB itself. It reminds me of professional cycling at this point.

4. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

5. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

F@cking greatness!

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

7. awc713

awc713 Member

the reason is despicable. I bet you won’t hear any coverage on ESPN or any other outlet about it...

8. Buck Turgidson

Came out as part of an MLB Network documentary, "Junior".

It's being reported everywhere on the internet including espn.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

What was it?

Nevermind

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

https://player.simplecast.com/61da7f06-4b79-4ccc-8021-74233aba14e2

What the Yankees did was worse than the Astros. It’s a massive coverup from Manfred because the Yankees are perceived as the “face” of baseball, and for them to be rule breakers would be devastating to the image of the game. As this guy says, Manfred didn’t just take a grenade for the Yankees, he threw it on the Astros instead, trying to scapegoat us as the lone “bad apples” when it was the entire competitive field that were working on real time sign stealing schemes.

To me he can be talking about nothing short of wearables. You look at Aaron Judge’s home road splits and there’s no doubt in my mind.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

"Cheating" has always been part of the game though... like since day 1. I really don't get why people pretend it's something new, that the league once was pure and now it's tainted. This was always how things were done.

SuraGotMadHops and jim1961 like this.
  12. edwardc

edwardc Member

I wonder if Lebron will be doing a documentary on them yanks like he's doing on the Astros.

13. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A built-in prequel or origins story; the guy is a genius!!

NotInMyHouse, msn and RayRay10 like this.
  14. edwardc

edwardc Member

If you think so i'm not a fan of his the way i see it he cheated the game before the yanks or the stros.

15. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Yankees Twitter set us up nicely...

16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Yeah that’s one of my biggest problems with the coverage and in effect the reaction. Part of that may be the world we live in and the virtue signaling required to get clicks but it’s frustrating as an Astros fan.

17. raining threes

Yep and the coverup cost Luhnow/Hinch their jobs.

That's the sad part.

Bobbythegreat, Blatz and msn like this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What's the story here?

BigM likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

(I think) Someone asked the media if they asked Jim Crane about the Yankees letter.

Daily fantasy players who filed suit against the Red Sox, Astros and Major League Baseball claim a sealed letter from commissioner Rob Manfred to New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman in 2017 details a “more serious, sign-stealing scheme” than what the league originally uncovered.

“I can speak for the Astros. I’m not doing the investigations and I’m not in the courthouse, and I don’t want to be,” Astros owner Jim Crane said Wednesday. “We broke the rules. We got punished. We accepted the punishment and we did what we did.”

“I can’t manage how the other teams are investigated and treated. That’s handled at the (Major League Baseball) office, the central office. That’s the commissioner’s job to do that,” Crane said.

“What happens, we’ll see. I think the story will continue for a long time. It will always be discussed and it’s unfortunate that we were right in the middle of that. I’m not happy about it and I’ve apologized numerous times. It shouldn’t have happened and we shouldn’t have done it.”

RayRay10, awc713 and BigM like this.