1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buying a gun.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mr.Scarface, Apr 5, 2020.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

holy crap brother
    99ers 4 life
    @Ziggy

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Did you shoot anyone yet? o_O

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Might not turn out well for THEM right about now, coach. :eek:

5. Roscoe Arbuckle

Be very clear:

You have every right to own a gun.

You have every right to not own anything.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You can also own some items and choose not to purchase other things -- there are many options to create a balance of safety and security.

Nook and ThatBoyNick like this.
  7. SemisolidSnake

I'm thinking of taking some gun usage and safety courses and maybe getting my CCW. Now, I don't have a gun, and I'm not sure if I want one. Hopefully, that's not a hindrance. That's why I want to take the classes: so I fully understand everything to assist in my consideration of purchasing.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I remember reading something from a police captain, saying something along the lines of - statistically a big, loud dog guard dog is one of the better ways to prevent home invasions.

For me personally, I'd rather devote my time in trying to find a safe community to live in, then how to protect my self in a ****ed up place. Houston for example, has a murder rate of 11+ per 100K people, that's ridiculously high.

Oh, and obligatory.

[​IMG]

#FreedomToDie

9. body slam

body slam Member

this is the route I would go

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It is generally better to be rich and in a safer neighborhood, driving a Volvo working a safe occupation. That isn't groundbreaking advice.

The dog advice from a "police captain" is real **** advice that always comes up in gun threads.

11. KingCheetah

A dog is the greatest 24/7 protection for a home you can buy -- just don't get one that fits in a purse.

Xerobull likes this.
  12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Are you serious? A huge, loud dog is a massive deterrent. Popular culture has somewhat marginalized guns as something to not be scared of. But anyone casing your house is always going to pick an easier mark when they hear a deep ‘wooooof. wooooof.’ I worked in prisons for three years and I can tell you that criminals are lazy and dumb and will always pick the easiest mark.

Nook and Space Ghost like this.
  13. Bandwagoner

This is the argument I always hear along with a pump shotgun is the greatest thing because they can hear the action and will run screaming to the hills. They never mention if you actually have to use the thing what gun is better.

In practical terms, unless you have a police dog, it isn't grabbing anyone's calf and ripping it to shreds. It MIGHT run back and forth barking. For self defense, anyone with a knife will take out your dog in seconds, not to mention a gun like most people coming in an occupied house they know have people in it will have.

Self defense "should I buy a gun" questions are about self reliance IMO and the best tool for that is unquestionably a firearm.

14. KingCheetah

Why not both?

15. Bandwagoner

Dogs are pretty much worthless, even against unarmed, homeless burnouts.

Guns on the other hand

16. KingCheetah

17. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Teach your dog to safely use a gun and get the best of both worlds.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The dog is a deterrent, many home robberies are sporadic and done by crackheads, not by Liam Neeson. Even the cordinated efforts are planned out by least resistance, while people are gone, they want it to be easy, not to have a knife fight or to shoot an agressive dog.

93% of home invasions are non violent, according to the, according to gov stats.

Anywho, finding a safe place doesn’t mean you have to be a rich ******* driving a Volvo, although certainly much easier if you have money, and if your in poverty sure you don’t have a choice.

Funny enough, America is in the top tier of the richest countries in world, nearly all the countries with our type of wealth per capita, and most countries with even half of our wealth, have around a tenth of our murder rate.

Why is our country so wealthy, yet so dangerous? A very big statistical anomaly.

KingCheetah likes this.
  19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

As the person opting out from guns, I’ve personally taught my chihuahua to perform a sequence of events pretty similar to home alone.

Kim and Ubiquitin like this.
  20. KingCheetah