1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gen. Mattis speaks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Aug 28, 2019.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

@generalthade_03 it looks like the American hero Mattis has to be wrong about bone splinter bible posing orange man eight?

jboslett likes this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

LOL... every... any reason to continue to defend, support, and vote for donals trump.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Don’t worry he will not be the first nor the last to turn against Orange man, God is not done with Trump yet.

4. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

You can probably thx Cotton for Mattis strong voice. That NYT oped is damaging if left without a strong voice from a military leader that has respect from both sides.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

LOL... trump lies, about everything, all the time...

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. Amiga

Supporting Member

You claim propaganda as reason for being against orange man. Mattis is not a figure easily influenced by propaganda. I’m not sure how you square that but you would have to if you maintain it’s propaganda.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

JESUS lol how can anyone believe this ****

B-Bob likes this.
  8. amaru

amaru Member

It’s been interesting see the conservative soldier “civil war” that has resulted from Mattis’s statements about President Trump. Mattis has fallen from grace in the eyes of many. First he was a Demi-god, then he quit and some soured. Now some of the people that were formerly signing Mattis’s praises are denouncing him.

mdrowe00, RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  9. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Stay tuned brah, the truth will come out, like I’ve said, God is not done with him yet, no matter how anxious you want to speed this up, it is on God’s time. Be patient.

IBTL likes this.
  10. Amiga

Supporting Member

God “plan” for trump is obviously something you believe in. I find it nutty but many have strange religious beliefs and that’s fine with me.

However, you said propaganda is why people are against orange man. Mattis is good proof that’s wrong.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For a guy nicknamed "Mad Dog" Mattis was one of the most thoughtful and erudite people in the military. He is exemplar of a soldier scholar with an incredible command of history and philosophy. In many ways he is the antithesis of Trump. A man who is voluntarily ignorant of history and philosophy. It is one of the great ironies of our system that a man like Mattis would serve a man like Trump and I'm sure he was well aware of that irony everyday he was in the Administration. Mattis' sense of duty though compelled him to serve when the leader of the country asked him. Mattis' sense of honor though led him to tender his resignation.

Those same senses of duty and honor are now leading him to speak out in this time of crisis.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's your vote and your right to vote for who you want. That said do you think this is something that Mattis would want? Given his background I get the feeling he would want people to use their vote not just as an ethical statement but as a practical tool to remove an unfit leader.

Deckard, Nook, jiggyfly and 2 others like this.
  13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Sorry, I can't cast a vote for someone that rubber stamped the Iraq War. I see the damage all the time in my friends (the ones that are still here). It's a constant battle to help them find a way forward.

At the time it was the worst decison this country had made since the Vietnam War, and amazingly so many of these politicians from both sides that voted for it are still in power. 60,000 veterans killed themselves between 2008-2017... that's way more people than our casualties in Vietnam. Veterans account for 13.5% of the suicides in the US but are only 7.9% of the adult population. We are losing 17 veterans EVERY DAY to suicide. General Mattis is a big part of why one my best friends is still alive.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Really sad....Mattis has more integrity in his left pinky toe than Trump has had in his whole life.

For people that claim that they are pro-military to attack him just because of this shows exactly where there loyalties lie. They aren't pro-USA, just pro-Trump.

amaru, T_Man, mdrowe00 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Amiga

Supporting Member

Your vote is your to cast.

He didn't rubber stamped the Iraq War. If you go back to listen to the Iraq authorization debates where he gave extensive comments and his comments shortly after the debate, comments leading up to the UN resolution against Iraq, his warning that a war would cost much higher than most American believed and that the reconstruction would be difficulty, costly and take a decade (he was dead right on that), his op-ed arguing for a 2nd UN resolution to give more time for Iraq to comply, you see his thought process and views. In the end, he gave the Bush admin the authority to go to war at anytime but also for a strategic reason - to show that the US was serious so that the UN would take tough actions toward Iraq. If you don't do this, we will go to war is the bullet he gave to the Bush admin (he make that very argument in the debate). He also clearly made his views clear - either Saddam gave up WMD or will be forced to. He was glad that the first UN resolution pass unanimously and was disappointed that the Bush admin didn't wait and push harder for a 2nd UN resolution, but say after he gave authority and the war started, he will support the command-in-chief. Years later, he say he was wrong to give the authorization. At the end of the day, his arguments (WMD must be dealt with) for authorization was based on a lie - that there were no WMD.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's odd that Bernie had that foresight to say no. How did he have that magical power?

17. Amiga

Supporting Member

Bernie has no magical foresight :) He's against all war for any reasons. It wouldn't even matter if Saddam actually have WMD and attacks on US soil was imminent. His vote was easy - he is simply anti-war.

EDIT: I just wanted to show more nuances in decision in those votes... it wasn't simply rubber stamped for some (for some, sure, but not for Biden). I think you can appreciate nuances. We too often get lost in the black and white and not see the grey.

Deckard, AroundTheWorld and RayRay10 like this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He cast votes affirming military actions in Bosnia, Kosovo and Afghanistan after 9/11. He voted no to both Iraq wars

#58 fchowd0311, Jun 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  19. Amiga

Supporting Member

I stand corrected. He wasn't completely anti-war until Bush Jr Iraq war demand :). So, yes, he has the foresight to not trust the Bush admin and their war hacks and Biden should have known better. Now most DEM and libertarian are on the "anit-war" train. ps I'm one of them, after the Iraq war, but always open to possibility that war may be needed.

RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.
  20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Trump always ( his whole life ) paints enablers into ever smaller corners. It’s amazing.

now, the trump customers have to believe: 95% of media; scores of former direct associates, even people trump appointed; most former international allies; most experts of anything, from economics to science to psychology; scores of long-time GOP faithful; evidence; and the strong majority of our citizens ... are all deluded and “out to get Trump.”

is that a logical proposition, or is there a horrible conman at the center of the story?

he paints followers into a corner where they can only listen to him.