1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Car Shopping Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DonnyMost, May 29, 2020.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I see some Palisades under $30k you would have to get shipped (maybe $1k??). Not sure about trim levels and the like though....

https://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/palisade/2020/vin/KM8R3DHE8LU053270/?radius=6000

Edit: this one does seem pretty undervalued and I guess it says one reported accident so there’s that...

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I'm only shopping top level trims on most of the vehicles I have mentioned because I need the ventilated front seats.

Tbh I'm considering hiring a broker to do the searching and negotiating for me.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

yeah quick look other than the accident one you will be in the mid to upper $30ks on used palisade with leather seats.

I’m not sure about ventilation but will say when I was looking at the palisade I didn’t think the top trim was necessary. The mid level trim got you everything you needed.

plus even in Texas I certainly used the ventilation seats but there were plenty of times where I forgot in the middle of 100+ degree days and wasn’t the worse for wear. In other words if that’s the only reason you’re going from trim a to meaningfully more expensive trim b... that’s something maybe worth reconsidering!

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Top trim is necessary to get vented seats for all vehicles I've listed except the Telly (2nd to top trim works).

I've always regretted not getting that option, so I want to make sure I get it this time. But your point is smart... If it costs me 6 grand thats kinda ridiculous.

5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Aren't we all? After a few drinks, expectations run a little lower in most cases.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I know we've discussed some way way back on cars, I definitely agree with you on Kia and it has surprised me too. I still am doing side jobs fixing cars occasionally, more so to stay current/side money, but I haven't had the chance yet to work on the newer Kias.

Lately it's been major repairs on Mercedes/Ford/Volvo/Nissan/Honda etc

I'm not calling out any brands here (these were all cars with major miles) - but man the stuff I've learned recently on Mercedes transmissions is worth easy money.

Nook likes this.
  7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Anyway.... If anyone needs help on repairs, haha, probably not this thread - maybe in a couple years... I typically can answer repair questions or at least confirm you're getting a fair price on work.

And I'm not talking about like basic work... I recently overhauled Mercedes more recent automatic transmissions.

With that said, I don't know if I'll buy a new new car any time soon, but... If I were buying one the prices look amazing right now.

desihooper and Exiled like this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have a 2014 cadillac cts and my view screen is on the blink, can I just order a replacement?

Do I just need to replace the screen?

Is this right?

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Out of that list I like the Volvo and you can never go wrong with a Honda -- VW... No thanks.

Surprised a Jeep Cherokee Trackhawk isn't on that list -- very safe and practical vehicle.

10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Is the screen just not responding to commands (as in the video) or does it blink/lose the image? And does the screen randomly still work ?

Also, does anything else cutout - audio etc *?

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Someone brought up to me that I should be considering the 2019 Kia Sorento.

Should be finding them in the used market in the Spring of 2021 no problem, and they're overshadowed by the Telluride so the prices should be great.

Granted the more I look at the Telluride and Palisade the more I love them, but the only way I'm going to be able to afford it is with a lease which is less than ideal.

I think I still have some soul searching to do about a 3rd row. I'm not totally sure I'm going to need that in the long run. If I drop that requirement it really opens up a whole new world of searching (Nissan Murano, Hyundai Santa Fe, Jeep Grand Cherokee, etc). You can usually fit 3 children across the bench seat in a mid-size SUV, right? :confused:

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Screen responds when I 1st turn it on and random after that.

Does not lose image but it sometimes has double image and will change randomly.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Telluride looks really good, but I'm not sure about the Kia service department -- if something does break I've never heard/ read anything good about repair turnaround. In other words it's a huge long-term hassle or at least it was -- hopefully that has improved. The core of the vehicle is solid it's just the tech and random gremlins that will get you.

14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I'm going to send you a pm, sorry for the long delay.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Dude my Silverado is almost up to par. I'll post some photos here when it's finished. Thanks for the help on that.

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Oh man!!! Glad to hear that! Definitely post some pictures when it's done I'd love to see it fixed up!

Of course, And happy to help out any time! If you ever need help with anything else just let me know.

Andre0087 likes this.
  17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'd go with the Volvo, too. My brother has one and it's a great vehicle. I'm just not a big Honda fan. They're safe and reliable...but just so dang boring, IMO.

I've got about 15 months until my son turns 16. He'll likely be getting my 2012 F-150 and I'll probably get another one. Would be nice to have something with the newer bells and whistles I didn't get back then.

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Hold off until the updated truck comes out. Most likely 360 camera and a host of safety features is coming with the interior refresh.

15 months should cover it but you never know with the current situation and built up demand.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

So I did some test drives and some thinking this week... the main takeaway? Most 3rd rows don't fit adults, and if they can't do that, they're basically just taking up valuable cargo space and costing me more in MSRP. The one exception to this I have found is the Atlas' 3rd row, which I still consider a major bonus because of its size/comfort and ease of use. Same for the Telluride/Palisade, even though they're kind of a lease-only proposition.

What does this mean for my list? Well, a few things.

New frontrunners: Hyundai Santa Fe and Honda Passport. VW Atlas still up there. QX60 barely hanging in. Pilot & XC90 out.

The Santa Fe was only not on my list before because of the 2 row limitation, but with that out of the way, I've come to find that it's a real stellar vehicle. The main problem right now is inventory. Hard to find a used one, and the prices are still fairly high. I expect this will change soon.

The Passport is basically a Pilot without the useless 3rd row and mandatory captains chairs (a bench will be nice), so you save a little money and it also looks a lot nicer too so that's a plus. I currently have two Hondas and really love them so this is a strong consideration. Unfortunately the Passport is also lacking in used inventory but hopefully that will change, although I heard Honda had a hard time moving their debut models so used inventory may be slow to ramp up.

The Atlas is everything I want but the reliability & cost of ownership concerns are significantly higher than the two listed above. When it comes time to pull the trigger it will really come down to what is out there and what is the best deal at the time.

The QX60 is a great value proposition, there's a ton of inventory and ownership cost is relatively low. The ride is smooth and cushy. The main problem is that it's kinda boring. Like mega yawns all the way around. It would take a pretty incredible deal to get me in one at this point.

Pilot is out for the reasons listed above re: Passport. The XC90 while a fantastic car is simply too expensive (both in up front and long term cost) to justify. I would consider leasing one, however, but I'm pretty much 100% set on buying used this go-round.

#39 DonnyMost, Jun 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

My wife's parents purchased a XC-60. I have driven it once. Yes, its an extremely well-made car, and I suspect reliability and safety lead the class. But I will be completely honest, if it were my money I would have purchased the Hyundai/Kia alternative. Way less expensive and the drive and most of the fit/finish was almost as good as the Volvo. We have friends with the Kia Sorrento and while its the fully loaded one I was really impressed with it and it feels like you are in a BMW. My oldest daughter replaced he 2008 Elantra with a Tucson and its really well made too. And my older daughter (years deriving the Elantra) and younger daughter (2013 Sonata) haven't had any issues with their cars.