1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Outdoor grills advice: pellet vs. gas vs. charcoal

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JayZ750, May 23, 2020.

?

Which type of grill do you prefer

1. pellet

23.2%
  2. gas

21.7%
  3. charcoal

55.1%
  1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

thanks, useful given you own like all of them.

i haven't decided yet and ignored thinking about it because researching things is tiring :)

will maybe decide over the next week!

2. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

also if were talking grilling non meat stuff. I always throw aspargus on the grill when my meat is done, sometimes ill do sweet potatoes. throwing corn on when grill is heating up also solid move. and of course use a half onion to clean grill :)

3. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If you decide to go gas, get a webber. They are just better designed. You can get a used one in great condition for really good prices. Their warranty is 10 years on a lot of parts and it's transferable. A used weber is better than any than a new grill of any other brand.

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I do a smoke box on my gas grill. It works well.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

What's the dealio with gas and propane tanks?

Any concerns about storage - eg. mine would potentially be sitting out in massive heat all summer? Any concerns with little ones f'ing it up?

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

x2 on this. I've got a 20+ year old Weber Genesis that I just recently replaced the internal guts on. all the important replacement parts are generally available at places like Home Depot or amazon. I was gonna get a new one last season with a bigger cooking area but balked at the price tag of the larger, newer model I wanted. This old one should last me another five years, maybe longer.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

PSA!

Weber Spirit E-310 and E-210 are starting to be clearanced out at Targets in the Houston area.

Here's the link to find the E-310 and the current in-store price. Be sure to put in your zip code.

Yes, it might go lower. But, stock might sell out before then. It's a gamble!

https://brickseek.com/target-inventory-checker/?sku=009-07-0412

Blake likes this.
  9. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Had a Spirit E-310 for 10 years. Highly recommended. I have a Genesis now and it is great

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That's pretty good at $335.30. I love Target's 'seasonal' clearance based on being headquartered in MN. 'It'll be cold here in a month, eh?'

I can get patio furniture there for 75% off in early September that I can use for 3-4 more months :D

11. le081488

le081488 Member

Any good entry level pellets? So many options now but still not sold due to the lack of searing.

Just need something to compliment the Kettle for ease of use.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

My wife’s rabbit makes a copious amount. You can have them.

le081488 likes this.
  13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Thinking about picking up the Traeger Pro 575.

I know it's not very manly, but neither is the next question...

Is the wifire worth it? I think the improved barrel design and better auger are. It just irks me that there's only one connected probe, and not four (which Camp Chef has).

May end up getting the Camp Chef Woodwind 24 Wifi.

#93 Two Sandwiches, Aug 3, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  14. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

My setup is pretty complicated...

[​IMG]

But seriously, I don't have a lot of space on my deck to support both a grill and a smoker. This has worked pretty well as an all in one option. I've smoked pork butt and brisket on it using the snake method. It takes some attention for sure, and may require adding some extra coals towards the end to finish the cook. I've just about mastered using the vents to control the temperatures for smoking, so it's become much easier.

In general, it's a very versatile grill, and I'm not sure if I'll ever need anything more. I use briquettes for smoking since they produce more uniform heat and just put some hickory chucks on top of the coals. For grilling, I use lump charcoal since the temperature gets a bit higher for searing and (supposedly) is better for flavor, although I haven't really noticed the difference myself.

JumpMan likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Rabbit **** and Chicken **** are just about the 2 best fertilizers for your garden.

VooDooPope likes this.
  16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I ordered the Camp Chef WoodWind 24 Wifi. Can't wait for it to come in. I think it has better features than the Traeger.

I know, I know. This thing is cheating. Take my man card.

But it's going to enable me to smoke meats while chasing two kids around the house. Worth it.

17. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Nothing wrong with a pellet grill/smoker for that reason alone. Set it and forget it. I'd like one, but can't justify the costs sent I already have an Akorn Komado and a Weber Smokey Mountain.

Two Sandwiches and donkeypunch like this.
  18. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Enjoy!

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  19. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Rabbits are a prepper's best friend. They reproduce quickly, are good to eat, produce a nice albeit small pelt, and their poop can be used for fertilizer without composting. Almost all others need to be composted before using as fertilizer.

20. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

That's interesting; everything I've read/seen has said to use lump charcoal for smoking as it last longer. I recently got a Kamado Joe and have done a few cooks over the last few weeks - I'm in love with it!