1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Outdoor grills advice: pellet vs. gas vs. charcoal

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JayZ750, May 23, 2020.

?

Which type of grill do you prefer

1. pellet

23.2%
  2. gas

21.7%
  3. charcoal

55.1%
  1. SuraGotMadHops

Call it old school, but don't laugh - I think the Old Smokey charcoal grills are not only the best value (about $80 for the 22 inch), but produce the best results for smoking any kind of meat you want. It maintains consistent temps better than anything else out there (even a Traeger!). It really is best used as a smoker, and no meat is too large to handle - I've done large briskets, pork butts, 3 - 4 racks of full spares, you name it. If you want to grill, you can raise the charcoal grate with some soda cans and sear burgers, steaks, sausage, anything. It is the most versatile and reliable smoker/grill money can buy. Granted, it won't last too long, about 5 years tops with good maintenance, but they are so cheap who cares. Once I got one of these I pretty much neglected every other form of grill/smoker that I have.

And the best part...they're manufactured right here in Clutch City!!

Joe Joe, R0ckets03, Nook and 2 others like this.
  2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

With a little work, you can turn a drum barrel into a damn good smoker for about the same price. It would last longer with the heavier gauge steel.

3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am grilling a T Bone on the grill with wood coals. Hopefully it does not go to hell.

Nook and JumpMan like this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Thank you! I was thinking about getting a smaller grate that I could put closer to the charcoal, but soda cans should work as well to save a little charcoal.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Unless you are spending $1000 or more, Old Smokey is the best for flavor, even cooking and value.

I know a certain prominent BBQ pit master that uses Smokey for his personal use. In his restaurant they use something different but he even admits the flavor from an Old Smokey is best.

6. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

It was really good but nothing fancy. Lump charcoal burns better.

JumpMan likes this.
  7. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

I've seen Costco showcase a pellet one back when I would go to Costco... I say get the pellet one and take pics of you using it and a brief review....

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Ubiquitin likes this.
  9. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Ubiquitin likes this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

There are competition bbq'ers cooking on $200 grills. Just learn how to master whatever grill you have and quit thinking more expensive grills will magically make your bbq better. Cheaper grills may require more effort to keep temps, have less space, be less durable, etc, but people have been making great bbq on cheap Webers forever. The Weber Smokey Mountain/Bullet grill is still out of your price range, probably, but people use those $200-$300 cookers in competitions. Hell, people build their own out of drums and make great bbq's. One of my former co-workers bought a BGE and another has a Traeger as well as a BGE. Their BBQ sucks (but I try to put it nicely to them).

12. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

I should preface I married a vegetarian so it doesn’t matter how much I wanna spend on a grill since my wife doesn’t like grilled vegetables.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, ok, now you effed up.

(j/k... I'm sure she's great. lol)

Ubiquitin likes this.
  14. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

LOL! Why can’t she be great and I effed up? At least she doesn’t care what I eat or the kids eat.

15. Buck Turgidson

What kind of loonie doesn't like grilled veggies? ;)

Ubiquitin likes this.
  16. Exiled

Exiled Member

I have a small disposable Walmart grill that barely fit the iron skillet, wind easily can blow it away (which helps to effortlessly clean ashes and fertilize neighbor's backyard), so I dropped a faux brick in the middle to hold it in place, and found out,I use less charcoal, the charcoal burn with ease and last longer this way, could put a lid and it does last for hours, even a frozen Australiaian thick lamb shoulder can be turned to a delicious piece of tender smoked meat

Ubiquitin likes this.
  17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

No. Unless you are smoking for an army and love dicking with wood all night, offsets suck.

TexasTofu likes this.
  18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I own gas, charcoal, weber bullet smoker and offset smoker. I've also used a green egg, and pellet smoker. For grilling, I prefer gas because of the convenience. Nothing like turning on a dial, prepping your food and your ready. Charcoal tastes better. Kamado and pellets are great because of their versatility if you ever decide to smoke or do pizza(kamado are great for pizza).

TexasTofu likes this.
  19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

For realz... seriously, one of my favorite meals was a complete dinner using the grill: salad using romaine halves dipped in Italian dressing then grilled; chicken on beercans, grilled zucchini halves, then grilled fruit kabobs for dessert.

Buck Turgidson and TexasTofu like this.
  20. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

get you a weber :)