1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The View from the Ground: George Floyd Protests

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, May 28, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Exactly.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People are being told to evacuate the state capital. Two suburban shopping centers are reporting looting. Governor Walz will announce whether the national guard will be called out

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Regarding armed people coming out the danger is that people not from Minneapolis coming in thinking they they are going to help protect stores. There is also the possibility of people coming out to deliberately provoke an armed confrontation with protesters. During the Jamar Clark BLM protests four guys came in from the suburbs and ended up shooting some of the protesters. Their self-defense argument was undercut when it racist tweets were found made by them that also showed they deliberately wer going to confront the protesters.

4. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm confident Jared Kushner could get a handle on the situation. Let's get him on this.

5. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

This guy is intellectually dishonest and he feels morally superior to you and I. I tried to engage in an honest dialogue but was labeled a racist in return. When you hung a racist label on someone, be careful because it can boomerang back to you. Now you know why it is extremely hard to engage with the left. Intellectual honesty and moral compass seemed to be lacking.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

7. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I know you won't agree, but kids will suffer the sins of the parents. It's too bad that parents allow their kids to do things that aren't their responsibilities. They are wrong for that. That said, I don't think enough kids are having to resort to "side hustles" to afford their mom's medicine to have to mention that. Come on now. Schools don't even expect much from students in terms of homework anymore. Educators have resigned to the fact that many homes are not productive learning environments.

Systemic doesn't exist. I do agree that it won't work when there are people like you who will blame everyone and their colonial descendants for the choices of people today. You ain't helping them by excusing them.

It's not inherent. No one is born that way. They learn to be that way. They also learn to hate. What we are seeing in this whole event, from the police officer to the looters is pure hate. It's so sad.

I didn't know I was conservative. I do understand causality in a person being born as innocent as a newborn baby could be growing up to be a mess of a person due to his surroundings, experiences, and decisions. I don't understand how that grownup could blame George Washington for his decisions.

cmoak1982 and generalthade_03 like this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is my thought exactly and it goes to show things have been bubbling below the surface for awhile.

Can you link to that case because I never knew what the outcome of that was and I don't know any names.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

And as a pragmatic society that yearns for multi-generational sustainability and progress, we should strive to have systems that limit as much as possible the effects that the "sins of our parents" generate. Because letting it be "as is" and just informing them that they should do good in school and stay away from drugs and gangs isn't going to do jack ****. Poverty and crime more often than not are inherited when no systems are in place to allow children to have a baseline level of support that can nurture them into productive tax paying citizens. Because your method will only result in increasing the pool of people in poverty generation after generation.

I would actually love you to show me an example of deep rooted systemic issues such as poverty and crime of a certain region being solved with normative public service announcements.

Also, my message is going to be different when discussing the macro issues and thinking from a policy perspective and if I was actually a part of that community talking to a friend. The former, I'm discussing solutions to large scale problems. in the latter I'll make normative statements urging them not to riot but peacefully protest.

I think a fundamental flaw in your premise is you believe people of poverty will change their behavior if everyone lambasted them rather than people being sympathetic and understanding that there is a lot of history of cause and effect here that has led to this modern predicament of riots over police incidents. That is just not how the world operates.

Hey, if you are a community member within the group that is protesting and rioting by all means i urge you to tell your friends and family members to not riot and that rioting will make people less sympathetic to your cause.

Also, my example of children having to provide under the table income so their parents can afford life saving meds is merely just ONE example of a thousand of poor children having an inherent disadvantage than well off children.

10. generalthade_03

Every time we have an incident like this, we all know what about to follow. I am so sick of this shiet, I’m willing to throw my time and support behind real police reform. Come to the tables with real talk and solutions, kick all of the partisan politics to the curb, ban all race hustlers, SJW provocateurs, economic pimps that won’t add nothing to the cause but will provoke and prolong the misery for their ill gotten gains. My first proposal is to clean house with every PD in the country. Time to review their personnel records and weed out the bad ones. In the meantime, you have to have better training and ongoing support for the good ones in your force. You know a good one can turn bad just as quick. I won’t pretend we can solve this complicated problem with just a few solutions. How do we change the heart of someone? To me and my simple mind, that’s what it boils down to. We will try to come to a point where a police officer will treat a citizen of our great country like a human being, and not an animal where you can step on his neck and watch him die.

#90 generalthade_03, May 28, 2020
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I agree with all of this but would like to know who you think are the biggest race hustlers these days?

12. generalthade_03

Do you want an honest answer from me? You won’t like it.

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Well if you are going to mention people like Biden which is true to SOME extent, then mention the dude who claimed he solved black poverty after one year in office because of unemployment numbers.

Any solution to these deep rooted problems will have its effects shown years from now, if not decades. Trump thinking the problem is as simple as BLS employment numbers and bragging about solving systemic urban black poverty shows how much of a race hustler he is as this example shows he doesn't care about the actual problems but rather cares about selling the perception that he solved these problems.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Of course I want an honest answer and why would I not like it?

15. generalthade_03

Because I was attacked mercilessly for my opinions. I believe sadly many times the racehustlers come from the same race of a group of people. In this case of the black community, how many times have you seen the likes of Sharpton, Jackson, QuanellX showing up just in time to make a few more dollars and then disappeared to leave said community worsened off then before? The same can be said of politicians from both sides( although the Dems are much more blatant) showing up around election times to troll for more votes and then do the Houdini acts again. Racehustling is just one of the components, there are so much more forces out there that try to separate us.

16. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

OOH..You go Karen! :D

generalthade_03 likes this.
  17. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

Where are all the Republicans who were screaming about injustice when Biden said “u ain’t black” on the Breakfast Club? What kind of trolling for votes and then pulling a Houdini act is this?

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. generalthade_03

Lol