1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The View from the Ground: George Floyd Protests

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, May 28, 2020.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Anyone who points to "culture" as the root problem rather than the 400 years of history that force funneled Black Americans into poor urban neighborhoods with disproportionate crime rates. It's implied that they think it is inherent if they think concentrating on lambasting "culture" tackles the root of the problem.
    No because the root problem with racism is forming biases an opinions of people merely for traits they were born with rather than the beliefs they express and the actions they take. Conservatism is an ideology and conservatives in this country have routinely tackled the black crime problem by lambasting black culture rather than trying to understand the effects of history and poverty.

Yung-T and mdrowe00 like this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

The looting and private property damages are inexcusable.

The police reaction to this protest vs the armed protest is salt on wound.

The protest is absolutely an outlet and understandable.

Yung-T, cmoak1982 and RayRay10 like this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Riots don't help. But, can't manage to condemn them. Minneapolis police had an ongoing problem and the government didn't address it with enough urgency. Bad things, from police brutality to riots, follow. They should address the problems of their PD with haste to avoid future tragedies. Governments elsewhere should look at their own policing and decide if they have a vulnerability. If this can happen in Minneapolis, I don't know why it can't happen in Houston.

They are both in a pandemic of an airborne pathogen and committing criminal acts on camera, and they still won't wear an effin' mask?

RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.
  4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

5. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Lol

6. generalthade_03

I don’t know, maybe the next time when people are witnessing police murdering citizens in broad daylight, we should start a riot and maybe we can save a few lives instead of doing it after the facts.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OK that gave me a needed laugh.

Buck Turgidson and RayRay10 like this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To make things worst armed citizens are now coming out to defend stores.

This is another reason why I'm so critical of those looting. None of this is in a vacuum and there's bound to be a counter reaction and this being the time we live in by others who are just as boneheaded. One person already died apparently killed by the owner of a pawnshop. I fear we will see more.

Armed residents defend Minneapolis store as looting follows George Floyd protests
    Armed civilians took to guarding stores in Minneapolis on May 27, as looting followed protests over the death of George Floyd. (Storyful)

https://www.fox9.com/video/688824

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

I don't recall anyone pointing to 'culture'. That's why I'm confused. I can't tell if you are talking about or to someone specific or making generalized statements. And I think I agree with the point you are trying to make, but I'm not able to establish what the point is, entirely.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Oh ****!

This is not gonna end well, you know somebody is just itching to let one fly.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

Follow my most recent posts. I'm currently debating someone who thinks the problem is culture and not history and poverty.

B@ffled likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

this was posted last night while it was pretty much happening

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. generalthade_03

Can you blame them if it’s taken them years to build their livelihood and just watching it destroyed in a few minutes?

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  14. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Now is the time for someone who has credibility to stand up and take charge, IMO.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The whole point of having supposedly professional law enforcement is that amateurs don't run around with guns and no training in legal rights and safety. When your professional law enforcement acts in cruel and reckless manners, things break down into this.

#75 Carl Herrera, May 28, 2020
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Yung-T, Two Sandwiches and RayRay10 like this.
  16. fchowd0311

He's not talking about the store owners. I have immense empathy for those people and they deserve to arm and protect their property. I think he's talking about the white bearded fellows who decided to bring their AR-15s with 10 different attachments and live no where near that area.

Yung-T and jiggyfly like this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

RayRay10 and B@ffled like this.
  18. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

I was just contemplating what I would do if I was a shop owner concerned about my store being looted/vandalized? Would I camp out, armed and ready? At first I was thinking hell yes. Then it dawned on me. That's what insurance is for, so I don't have to shoot anyone. Just file a claim.

Nook and Rocket River like this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't blame the owners for protecting their businesses but just like looters are taking advantage, there are also people bringing guns to the situation just looking for an excuse to shoot somebody IMO.

This situation is ripe for escalation and things can get ugly quick.

Yung-T, Rocket River and RayRay10 like this.
  20. generalthade_03

Man, I’m done with you. Instead of talking like real men in a dialogue, you’re implying that I’m a racist to the other poster. Good luck with your moral superiority homie! This is where good faith ends and the names calling shall begin.