1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playoff tie/go ahead shots in last 24 sec taken by MVP’s in last 20 years...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, May 19, 2020.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The only stat you have to know is that Harden went to the WCF's or better with 3 completely different squads. On two of them, he was by far the best player on the team.

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

You can make your argument which sounds good in theory and at the same time say that 12 shots isn’t a meaningful sample size. I think Harden and Westbrook might be the last people on that list that I want to have the ball for the last shot. But I don’t need this data to make that decision. It’s worthless.

Patience and fchowd0311 like this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Yes, this data is inconclusive to make any conclusive claims but it does match the "eye test". By no means should anyone make a conclusions solely based on this specific set of data.

BigM likes this.
  4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Westbrook and Jordan would have a lot in common today with defenders sagging off them all the time.

5. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I don't know...but if it was 30 seconds he would have 2 more. Just saying.

6. fchowd0311

Yes and those other players would also. The standards are equally applied.

7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Not playoffs. He would several more if it included regular season as well.

Deep Waters likes this.
  8. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

what in the world. 3 of them are from one game in the portland series. 7 are from that series overall. only 5 in every other series combined.

also shows how generally meaningless this stuff is. unless you get lebron/jordan/dirk, you basically just get a brickfest (although our 2 are the brickiest).

they always gotta do 24 seconds instead of 10 seconds to make sure jordan beats lebron.

9. fchowd0311

Firsrt, Jordan played in the 90s. If he played today, knowing his work ethic he would be a very good three point shooter.

Second, Jordan is one of the most dangerous mid range shooters of all time. Westbrook is not.

10. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Harden. Playoffs. Clutch Shots.

Oof. :eek:

11. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

Goodness, this is a fantastic description of him. He wins games way before the buzzer but isn't good when swarmed by three defenders forcing him to pick up his dribble

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ESPN?

13. Victorious

Victorious Member

Always? Lol maybe it's 24secs because that's how long a possession is

Yall are looking to deep into this. It means what it means. FG % of go ahead or game tying shots in the last 24 seconds. They spell it out for you. it's not the end all, be all of clutchness. But based off the criteria used to measure, that's what it shows.

All they did was literally show field goal percentages and people are up in arms lol

14. photojoe

photojoe Member

ESPN seems to have made it their goal during the lack of basketball due to COVID to go out of their way as much as possible to try to prove that Jordan is the greatest of all time.

I know it's ESPN, but come on. Can't we talk about something else?

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

The poster with the most posts in this thread was sooooooo unbelievably predictable.

Made for a good laugh this morning.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Ralph Sampson's "The Shot" that eliminated the defending champions LA Lakers in game 5 of the 1985-86 Western Conference Finals.

Easy likes this.
  17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Because they started with the conclusion (jordan the best ever!) and used a really small sample size to justify it. THe 24 seconds thing is pretty arbitrary, I understand why they might have chosen it because it seems like a fine number, but you might as well claim the last 30 seconds or even the last minute as an equally valid cutoff - they also have the benefit of making the sample size not as small. If you're trying to do "data journalism" like this is, it's the type of thing you'd try to do.

it does look really silly when you pull up the stats for 1998 and you see a bunch of misses at 0:25 that would drive Jordan's percentage substantially downward, but you know, that's not a "clutch" shot. It's possible whoever complied this list missed that fact. It's also possible that they knew it and stuck with it because of that fact.

https://www.basketball-reference.co...e&is_tying=Y&is_go_ahead=Y&order_by=date_game

Jordan very well might be the best ever but an apparently cherry picked stat line is not a good way to show it.

18. SemisolidSnake

Yeah, but who leads in percentage of dunks that were not ruled a basket and ended up being the deciding points in a loss?

francis 4 prez likes this.
  19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Where's that Clutch stat of people's FG% in the last two-three minutes? Wouldn't be hard during lockdown to make a 20 yr avg.

20. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I forgot where I saw the article, but if you limit the time to like the last 10 seconds or something then the advantage goes to LeBron.