1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tilman will be on CNBC in 1 hour. Prepare for greatness!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TilmanFinancialWindfall, May 18, 2020.

1. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Not sure if this is good for Morey if the opening Topic with the PTOUS is all about MOREY!!

"
    Fertitta opened his comments by calling the economic impact of the coronavirus pandemic "devastating" and then referenced Rockets general manager Daryl Morey's preseason tweet that drastically reduced the NBA's revenues generated from the robust Chinese market.

"I should've realized that it was going to be a bad year for China when my general manager tweeted out, you know, 'Freedom for Hong Kong,'" Fertitta said. "That started my year."

Trump told Fertitta that Morey "did cause you a little ruckus," and asked if Morey still worked for the Rockets.

Despite pressure from Chinese officials, Fertitta has never wavered on Morey's job security. On the night of Morey's tweet, which was quickly deleted, Fertitta told ESPN that the Rockets did not have political leanings and distanced from Morey's tweet but said that he was "the best general manager" in the league and would continue in his role.

When Fertitta answered affirmatively about Morey's employment, Trump quipped: "He must be pretty good."

Replied Fertitta: "It's a trick question, but he is."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...-tilman-fertitta-believes-nba-complete-season

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

If Fertitta fires Morey that is going to be the last straw for me supporting the team in any financial way, not that that makes a difference but it will almost assuredly be the last step to an extended dark age. The Rockets have largely stayed in contender status for the better part of 35 years.

With the draft cupboard wasted, the salary toeing the line of tax, Westbrick and enigmatic Harden, an aging supporting cast, and no Morey... yikes.

Can Patrick "Trust Fund" Fertitta become the greatest sports executive of all-time and have a future 30-for-30 video?

#22 napalm06, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Trick question because chapter 11 debtor in possession does not have power to make that decision

4. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I watched the whole thing and it was basically just Tilman sucking up to Trump the entire time while Trump kept saying him and Tilman are best buddies.

You wonder if it's possible for future free agents to avoid Houston just because of our owner and who his best friends are.

5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Short answer
    **** No
    Long Answer
    **** No!

I quit supporting the texans and will gladly stop supporting the Rockets as well, if Moreknee is let go.

6. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Ouch! Tilman got owned!

7. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Great questions! I never thought about this before and I suspect most NBA players are not aware that Tilman and Trump are twins and best buddies...their words, not mine!!!

I suspect the Prime Free Agents, even if we have cap space would not want to land here if they are friend of Lebron or with the in crowd in the NBA like the Lebron and Curry of the world. You know those NBA guys had multiple splat and arguement with Trump on the internet. Most of the NBA players already said they would not go to the White House if invited for the NBA championship, except Chandler Parson, he said he would go if invited

The bottom feeder and the greedy one won't care as long as Tilman will pay than Top $$$$ and more than any other team

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Its all funny till you realize it cost us LeBron in 2018.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

that's why Paul demanded to be traded to OKC ... because he found out.

Not to mention the Alibaba Group was able to land Durant and Irving with the Nets, to piss off Trump.

10. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Now you guys are just making stuff up

11. jayland

jayland Member

Clearly Tilman wants a huge government bailout from Trump for all his different underwater business ventures. Maybe if he sucks up to Trump hard enough Trump will causally toss a few hundred million dollars at Tilman like he was tossing paper towels at people in puerto rico.

kdchilds, deb4rockets and D-rock like this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

WE ARE NOT A POLITICAL ORGANIZATION! ... unless you support and want to chat it up with Trump!

13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh, I'm sure they are two peas in a pod. Tilman wants all the money he can get and Trump will give it to him. All he has to do is push Trump's agenda. He's on the Texas Coronavirus task force for a reason. Just another one of Trump, Paxton, and Abbot's puppets. Tilman's a greedy jerk. I'll never stay at the Golden Nugget again. As for his restaurants, well I don't eat at any of them.

#33 deb4rockets, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
  14. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I eagerly await the LAST TRADE 8-part documentary.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Reasonable question. Most players will still go where their best pay check is. Of course that’s how the bottom feeders get their uh, stars and stay in the Lotto.

16. Newlin

Newlin Member

Right. What was that all about? Weird to even bring that up.

I guess Fertitta was trying to make a little joke. But, why even bring that up now that the controversy is no longer in the headlines? I’m sure everyone in the NBA just wants the entire world to completely forget about the Morey tweet and the entire controversy. Good job Tilman in reminding everyone about that almost forgotten debacle.

D-rock and xiki like this.
  17. MystikArkitect

What did Tillman say about Morey? If someone could sum it up for me, the less I hear Tilman speak the better for my soul.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

HE BROUGHT UP in a half joking way (that wasn't a joke) that "His GM" tweeted "freedom for Hong Kong" and started a firestorm.

Keep in mind he said this in front of Trump who would never let a comment like that just go to waste in front of the media. Trump then tried to bait him into publicly criticizing Morey, and Tillman said "that's a trick question" in regards to if he fired him yet.

However, Tillman was there primarily to make a case for himself to get the rules changed in regards to small business loan requirements. Making the case that essentially he's just an overseer of however many small businesses which is laughable.

Also another thing that pissed me off was how him and Trump kept talking about how Harden and Westbrook make 40 million a piece and how they are still getting paid, but his restaurant workers are not. It feeds into the anger that people have about black athletes making too much money. I feel bad for his employees for numerous reasons, but James Harden and Russell Westbrook have nothing to do with his restaurant businesses. They aren't partners, or board members for Landrys. They do more to help the poor and the community to scale than Tillman does I'm pretty sure of that.

The sooner this jackass can sell the team the better.

kdchilds, Little Bit, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  19. TilmanFinancialWindfall

lol. Tilman just got owned again

D-rock and sammy like this.
  20. TilmanFinancialWindfall

That's a shame. Compared to billionarie Tilman, James has donated a bigger % of his wealth, but Billionaire like Tilman and PTOUS makes these NBA players look like they are just greedy b*stard. James donated more than $1 million in the past 2 years on Hurricane Harvey alone. Bare in mind again, he's not a billionaire like Tilman and his best buddy twin and his wealth and earning income has a very short widow as a NBA player.

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/20...ig-donation-to-renovate-houston-hoops-courts/

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/bu...nates-groceries-to-5-000-Houston-15203514.php

D-rock and JoeBarelyCares like this.