1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are you wearing a mask when going out?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, May 13, 2020.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Since some people on the right are making this a culture war issue, I am wondering what everyone here is doing.

I wear a mask when going to stores, but not when I am in the yard or taking a short walk in the neighborhood where there is scarcity anyone on the street and enough space to stay 10+ feet away from anyone else.

The vast majority of people I see in stores also wear masks.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Same

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Yes but only when going around a bunch of people. I was able to get one of these from my employer...I may look like a painter but it's better than most masks available.

[​IMG]

Nook, FrontRunner and RayRay10 like this.
  4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

You have to wear a mask in stores where I live.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

me too. Wearing mask on local walks midday (in densely populated city) but no mask in early morning or late night dog walks.

ALSO: am disappoint by scarcity of Bane jokes.

Two Sandwiches and joshuaao like this.
  6. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I do when I go out to shop or be in what I project to be possibly crowded areas.

I don't if I go for a walk or work outside.

I also don't at work. We were marked as essential (construction industry) so we've been working the entire time. I'm IT so I mostly stay inside my office and generally don't interact with too many people without keeping my distance. We only have about 5-10 people in the office at any one time and we all keep things sanitized (wiping things down, wash hands, etc). Probably should wear a mask, but we've been lucky so far. If someone in the company suddenly gets it, I imagine we'll all go to masks.

TheFreak and Jayzers_100 like this.
  7. Newlin

Newlin Member

I’m wearing my mask when going into stores. I’ll admit that I’m a little ticked off when I see people not wearing a mask. The mask is to protect others from you if you happen to be infected. So, not wearing a mask is really being inconsiderate of everyone around you. Just wear the mask. It’s not that big of an inconvenience.

By wearing the mask you a just doing your small part in helping us get past this pandemic and back to a normal life as quickly as possible.

arkoe, T_Man, ROXTXIA and 3 others like this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Maybe 1/3 perhaps a bit more were wearing masks last time I went to the store -- one guy had a weird looking gas mask/ goggle combo that looked like a 21st century version of something from WW1.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. CCorn

CCorn Member

High traffic areas yes.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. HTM

HTM Member

Depends.

If I'm going to a store I do.

If I'm going outside to exercise I don't.

If I'm going outside to walk I'll carry one around and put it on when I think it's appropriate.

If I'm at the office I will wear it from the parking garage to my office and then I'll wear it off/on if I'm going to get water or go to the bathroom or something depending on whether I remember to put it on or not.

I think that covers most scenarios.

jcf and RayRay10 like this.
  11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don’t get the argument for not wearing the mask in public, if that’s the recommendation from health officials. It’s one thing if the purpose of the mask is to protect you, but that isn’t its purpose. It’s to protect the public in case you’re infected and don’t realize it. No one has a right to endanger the public for their own convenience.

King1, Nook, rhino17 and 2 others like this.
  12. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

so you pretty much wear a mask when in public like the majority

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I do, but in my area it's about half of the people with some form of face covering on. That is the Dallas Fort Worth area closer to Fort Worth. My immediate region is one that leans Republican. I'll be interested to see how different the shopping experience looks like in Dallas proper, but here in the suburbs its highly concerning how many people are acting as if the virus has vanished, or are simply not wearing a mask to own the libs.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Apparently you don't live in 'Merica buddy.

On a serious note, yes I wear a mask. I'm surprised that they havent attempted to make masks some sort of fashion statement. Mass advertise that **** and get everybody on the hook. I'm ready for a limited release Louis Vuitton mask that will cost me $600.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It makes no sense until you watch FoxNews or listed to right wing hate radio. Tune in tonight for 30 minutes and you'll see why people are actively refusing to wear a mask for political purposes. It's ridiculous. When wearing a wearing a face mask to avoid a deadly virus that enters your body through the lungs is a form of identity politics, I think we are in trouble as a country.

TheFreak and RayRay10 like this.
  16. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Why are we forced to wear a seat belt? When I was a kid, no one wears a seat belt. If we can force people to wear seat belt, we can certainly force people to use face mask in places where social distancing is not possible.

Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  17. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I wear mine anytime I go out and expect to be interacting with any people.

tinman and FrontRunner like this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

I only wear a mask when going to the grocery store, picking up food from a restaurant, or the times I have dropped things off at my grandparents house

I do not wear one when walking my dogs, going to the gas station, or any other situation that’s not crowded or in an enclosed space where I will be much more than 6 ft away from people

tinman and RayRay10 like this.
  19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

To some people's credit, this is kind of subtle and counter-intuitive to them. A mask looks like it is intended to protect the wearer (a potential wussy). Similarly, washing your hands can protect someone else when you use a door handle or whatever. But that's pretty subtle also.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

^ In the 1800s, doctors would not wash their hands before treating people, even to the point of insult if it were suggested. They were the clean ones treating the dirty.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...ampioned-hand-washing-and-saved-women-s-lives
    You'd think everyone would be thrilled. Semmelweis had solved the problem! But they weren't thrilled.

For one thing, doctors were upset because Semmelweis' hypothesis made it look like they were the ones giving childbed fever to the women.

And Semmelweis was not very tactful. He publicly berated people who disagreed with him and made some influential enemies.

Eventually the doctors gave up the chlorine hand-washing, and Semmelweis — he lost his job.

That attitude killed a president who was under a quack's treatment after an unsuccessful shooting.