1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

Here are two movies I watched this weekend. Most Liked. I did not.

Easy A - 5/10 - For whatever reason, thought the ensemble cast was terrible together. The plot ridiculous. And Emma was underwhelming. Election was better. Reese Witherspoon was a monster. Emma was like, I don't care, and neither did I. But I can respect this helped break her career wide open and there were flashes of what she would become.

Little Women - 7/10 - Thought the ensemble cast here would also deliver something special. It never did. Family aspiration and hope. Not for me. Liked that the women had no boundaries and there was some decent banter, but I couldn't grab onto it despite drawn to the cast and characters in particular. The painter was quite interesting.

#8541 PhiSlammaJamma, May 9, 2020
    Last edited: May 9, 2020
  2. conquistador#11

Romeo must die. 7/10 in the entertainment department. It's new to netflix and I hadn't viewed it in decades so why not?
    The plot: The Raiders are relocating yet again and it's up to the
    Organized crime families to cop' land deeds like they're Donald Trump (their quote not mine) in order to build the stadium.
    In the middle of a full gang war, Aaliyah evades her protective unit and hops in a Taxi stolen by Dim Sum, the rest is history. They begin a beautiful relationship with no stereotypes. Is it true what they say about China?
    A modern adaptation of William Shakespeare's play without the fancy talk.
    Some you win, dim sum you lose. This one is a winner.

Soundtrack is nothing but Aaliyah and Darkman X

It's been a long time (long time), we shouldn't of left you (left you),
    Without a dope beat to step to (step to, step to, step to, step to).
    It's been a long time (long time), we shouldn't of left you (left you),
    Without a dope beat to step to (step to, step to, step to, step to).
    What would you do, to get to me?
    What would you say, to have your way?
    Would you give it up or try again?
    If I hesitate to let you in?
    Now would you be yourself, or play a role?
    Tell all the boys, or keep it low?

rip Aaliyah.

3. Buck Turgidson

Transsiberian. Very solid thriller/suspense flick. Ben Kingsley (naturally) and Emily Mortimer are great, all the actors are on point.

don grahamleone and jiggyfly like this.
  4. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Den of Thieves - 7.5/10 - Pretty good watch, somewhat predictable, but some great performances by Gerard Butler and Pablo Schreiber. Decent twist at the end caught me off guard.

Triple Frontier - 6.5/10 - Great premise, terrific cast, but the movie pissed me off for a number of reasons...some of those spoil the plot. Still it's worth a watch, but be prepared to cringe when you see typical movie-style dumbass decisions. I wish this movie ended differently, but I'd watch it again.

5. Nero

Nero Member

SONIC - The Hedgehog ! 7/10

Ok, I get it if a movie from a video game is not your speed. Typically, it's not my speed either. But the previews showed just enough of Jim Carrey to get me interested in getting it from Redbox. Bottom line, it's better than I expected it to be, and it is WAY better than your typical 'movie about a video game'. All the performers were having fun, especially Carrey, and the story and FX were actually more decent than you would have ever thought a Sonic movie would have been. This was actually fun, I would probably watch it again, if nothing else than to enjoy Jim Carrey finally being Jim Carrey again.

Bloodshot - 7/10

So this movie gets high marks from me for its own self-awareness, and actually turns a typical weakness into a strength in a very clever way.

I don't want to spoil it for those of you who may actually be interested, but at the beginning, you will think 'Oh man I could write the rest of this movie in my sleep, it is so predictable and derivative', when suddenly it takes a left turn and does some really clever things, which I liked.

Now did this movie explore all of that in a piercing and uncompromising manner? No, of course not. It's still basically a comic book movie. BUt at least it's more different than you think it will be when it starts.

Some of the SFX are pretty bad, like video-game from China bad, and the characters are pretty much made out of cardboard. But they were all having fun, and the Gal Gadot impersonator chick in the movie is nice to watch.

Not terrible!

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

GMO OMG - 9/10

Similar to Food Inc., in that it's somewhat entertaining as well as informative. It starts a little slow but midway through it finds its footing. (Included w/ Prime)

Flight 666 - 6/10

It's not terrible, but the only part of this movie I'll remember a month from now is the title.

7. Buck Turgidson

@Deckard

I was wrong, I don't know why I walked out on it. The movie, "The Gentlemen" is a pretty damn good movie.

I'd put it 3rd behind Snatch and Lock Stock.

mikol13 and Deckard like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

You ever been to the Tres Fronteras?

Fun times.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Your second crack at The Gentlemen was how I felt when we saw it. Still, you just never know when something will hit you wrong, something out of left field. I walked out of The Big Chill in the middle of the thing, back when the movie first came out. Right out of the theatre and back to the car. It just hit me wrong. Saw it again long afterwards and really liked it. In my case, I knew why, although it surprised the hell out of the girl I was with and my friends who stayed for the film.

jcf and conquistador#11 like this.
  10. conquistador#11

Red Dawn, the original- 5.7 / 10 : Watched it without commercials for the first time on Starz. It's been blasted by the Western critics as a fear mongering film of that generation's 'cold war'. But was it? All throughout the movie Colonel Ernesto, a Sandinista, always sides with the Wolverines, romanticizing of the days when he fought for the people. He even questions the Soviet comrades, "What have I become, a police man?"
    This movie is about that cruel irony of how those that fight for freedom can eventually become oppressors and Patrick Swayze blowing ish up. By the end of the film the Colonel just wanted to return home the woman he loved.
    It could have been better with more realistic handling of the weaponry. At one point we see 'Baby' shooting an AK with one hand and being right on target.
    Wolverines!

[​IMG]

11. HTM

HTM Member

I watched The Lighthouse thought I'd give it a go after really enjoying The Witch. I really really enjoyed The Witch which I would give a 9/10. The Lighthouse was not as good IMO. Still well done but not as well done IMO. 7/10

12. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yeah I was surprised when you said you didn’t like it. Didn’t make sense to me with some of the things you post that you like. Glad you gave it another chance.

Deckard and Buck Turgidson like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

I think I was too high. Couldn't keep up with the lingo.

Deckard and mikol13 like this.
  14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Dialogue moves a little fast the first time. That’s why I went back and watched it again, again and again.

donkeypunch likes this.
  15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I really hated the character of Matthew, the potential buyer of the grass operation, until I found out that that was the same actor as Logan Roy, of "Succession". Blew my mind, then I had a new respect for him.

16. Buck Turgidson

Jeremy Strong. He was also awesome in The Big Short.

17. Buck Turgidson

Watching True Romance right now.

mikol13 likes this.
  18. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

Watched this for the first time since the 90s last week. I can’t think of a better cast off the top of my head, and they were great, but I thought the movie was pretty silly this time around. There are a handful of incredible scenes though. Walken and Dennis Hopper in the trailer is unbelievable. But overall it’s not very high up on my list for Tarantino or Tony Scott.

19. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Midsommar - 1 / 10

crose likes this.
  20. adoo

adoo Member

these two are quite entertaining

a 8+
    [​IMG] well written and great casting
    a 9+
    [​IMG] well written, great story telling