1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Texans vs 2019 Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Apr 28, 2020.

1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

The "best Pass catching "is PR spin for a RB that hasn't been elite since 2016! That's a lifetime in RB years. Besides Duke Johnson already had the expensive "pass catching RB " spot sewed up anyways. David Johnson couldn't start for Arizona and wouldn't have started for the Texans who had a 1,000 yard rusher. Texans got hosed taking on $10 million for a RB that's over the hill early. You could argue they may STILL need a starting RB when it's all said and done. But hey, at least we have GM, HC & OC King Billy Bob!

2. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I mean Kenyan Drake is better than anything we have also. If we had a back who was better than him we wouldn’t need to rely on David Johnson.

Carlos Hyde was washed up too and then he had a 1000 yard season last year. I wouldn’t be so pessimistic until he at least plays a game for us. He’s only 28 and that system didn’t suit his skill set.

No one is arguing it was a bad trade. However it may not end up being as bad as we all think if David Johnson bounces back at all and personally I think he’s gonna surprise folks just like Carlos Hyde did.

3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

even if he bounce back, it was still a sht trade. an elite WR r few in numbers, and RBs are pretty replaceable and most have short careers.

Idk how this guy runs, but i dont think he's a workhorse that can ram it down the middle especially with his previous injuries.

4. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

This team isn’t noticeably better, and it’s a team that had their teeth kicked in during the playoffs. They will be “meh” yet again, not good or bad, might skate into the playoffs and lose first round, or may not make them at all. There’s just nothing exciting about their prospects. Nobody will fear this bunch, although they will win some games. Business as usual in other words.

CallMeTheDream and whag00 like this.
  5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

well it will b interesting on how well watson performace with these 2nd tier wrs. Idk y BoB always wants to make his qb life harder, but that seem to b the trend w/ BoB. Sht playcalls and now lack of a elite weapon to forge/sabotage his qb

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Well, since BoB is not calling the plays........(Don't give this BS "he took the play calling back...ladalada"). Different time and situation.

7. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

QB: Improvement from another year of experience
    O-line: Improvement from a full year of experience together - should be more in sync. Tytus and Scharping need to take a step forward.
    RB: Could either be fantastic if David Johnson regains his form, or mediocre on the ground. Either way, we'll be good at pass catching.
    WR: Surprise, we'll be better, because we are less predictable. Cooks, Fuller, Stills and Cobb are all good (Fuller is truly great when he's 100%). Every inch of the field will have to be covered by the defense. Last year most of our throws were to a double-covered D-Hop.
    D-line: Basically the same - risky though since we need Watt to be healthy
    Edge: one good player in Mercilus, the rest are bad
    Linebackers: Decent
    Secondary: Uninspiring

I think the offense will be elite. The defense will be league average at best. The formula for winning super bowls is a really good offense and a defense that does good enough at the right time. Strong pass rush is essential.

whag00 likes this.
  8. IBTL

IBTL Member

Continuity improvement at qb, te, lb

Could have had continuity with hopkins, clowney, duane brown.

Every time you turn on 610am everyone was on about reader and yet it looks like he is gone? i guess Ive been too drunk on coronavirus to know whats what. But a one year older watt and no reader seems like a hard drop but what do I know I still thought they had reader.

Looking at safety seems pretty screwed too. High level glance here looks like obrien is going to go offense.

Being more versatile spread it around at wr and rb is probably an ok mindset but having a safety valve that produces like hopkins is a big deal when talking super bowl.

Texans and obrien are a marriage from heaven where can chase signable yes men that fit the mold of tough smart middle tier.

Its a philosophy that they have held from beginning and it produces that 8-8 middle of pack they hope for.

They would really love to trade watson if they could for like 25 brennan scarletts and dylan coles but cant be obvious and having watson in many ways is a nuisance. I expect them to blow it with him or ship him out at some point if pr permits.

They are the classic kick the can no passion organization. They are in love of the balance sheet and treating the whole thing like a lesson in how to be cute with zero soul.

In end they field a team more like the washington generals and its a show up and try not to lose mentality..poor watson

9. dmoneybangbang

This. I wish we would have gotten Kenyan Drake instead but it is what it is. We will find out real quickly if BOB if going to be running Johnson up the middle on 1st down. I'm actually less concerned about Johnson than I am with how BOB will use him.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The improvements that can be made by Watson alone can make up for any of the holes that were created this offseason. There’s that I guess. If healthy the Texans will be competitive for the division and we’ll see what happens. BOB has made some head scratching moves but maybe he falls chin first in to something. This is about as nice as I can be about the Texans.

11. Texanstradamus

I’m pretty much over the Hopkins trade now at this point Texans offense will atleast be unpredictable cause everyone knew the ball was going to nuk not to mention all those WR screens that failed to Hopkins. There will be more over the top throws since nuk was fighting to get down the field which takes time due to his lack of speed. Cooks and fuller should be able to run by defenders. Cobb and stills work the middle. This offense should be a little quicker in pace. Now in no means am I saying nuk not a top WR. However the offense should be a lot faster if health allows it. And nuk just didn’t want to be here anymore. Defense on the other hand I hope it can get to average and Lonnie Johnson takes another step in the secondary. D-line will prolly be the same unless Blacklock has one of of the best rookie seasons ever.

raining threes and TheFreak like this.
  12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

FIFY

They aren't noticeably worse but they certainly aren't better. As long as they are competitive BOB will remain god, so that's his only goal.

13. Texanstradamus

They will fire O’Brien before trading Watson.

14. raining threes

Blacklock and Jernigan are going to make a difference on the DL.

15. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

Jernigan is injury prone so I’m not expecting much out of him. Blacklock, on the other hand, should get his feet wet and really contribute towards the end of the season.

16. raining threes

Jernigan has been hurt over the last two seasons.

But was healthy at the end of last season and he played well.

17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Very optimistic. We supposedly have a new oc, but if BoB takes over the offense, it will never be elite. Regardless of the side grade/upgrade at rb/WRs. I dont think our offense will b elite, its probably gonna be meh unless this new oc is good at his craft and can deny BoB from becoming oc again.

Our defense is pretty sht.

18. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Definately didn’t get good value for Hop. But you have to realize most teams that pay big money to WRs never win. Look at what Julio and Fitzgerald did the cardinals and falcons coming off super bowl appearances.

TheFreak and raining threes like this.
  19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Of course since those teams falter after superbowl paying big money to WRs. Let's be proactive, get rid of our best player for jack sht and that will surely increase our chance of getting to the superbowl.

Hearing defense like this is just funny. Let's just focus on keeping our best players and at least progressing further into playoffs than try to copy successful teams and failing miserably.

Win, pfft we didn't even sniff superbowl yet and we are worry about overpaying our star players.

#39 DatRocketFan, May 10, 2020
    Last edited: May 10, 2020
  20. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Im not trying to defend the trade. Just always been my opinion about paying receivers. Tell me the last one to actually win it. Most super bowl winning teams don’t have a star receiver.

however what the Texans did was just plain dumb because now we are still paying cooks and Cobb like a star receiver and if they were gonna spend the money on the position they shoulda just kept Hop. Wish they woulda used that money on defense.