1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

There’s a very common sense explanation, that’s why I didn’t respond. I don’t know about you, but there’s no point in responding to commodore. His idea of sources is usually some random individuals tweet saying something parroted by trump as a sort of validation. Sadly he’s stuck in his ways and suffers from stupidity, so it doesn’t really help to be politically correct or use kid gloves in this situation.

But yea your tweet touched on it a bit, classifications for these things are largely done with billing codes etc, forming any conclusion with that is largely useless. It’s common sense that any true isolation of “staying at home” etc would drastically reduce it. In fact, if commodore requires any questions evidence of such , he can pull up every hospitals admission/death statistic that points to one trend since stay at home orders were put into place. I don’t think it’s feasible to be at home forever but it’s easy to spot someone like him being repeatedly disingenuous.

Nook, Deckard, R0ckets03 and 2 others like this.
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

True but the number declines significantly beyond 1 month

"3. A majority (81 percent) said they could continue to follow social distancing and shelter-in-place guidelines for more than another month. Of this group, 37 percent said they could go another one to three months, and 10 percent said they could go four to six months."

This means that it is not a long term solution. We can also maintain physical distancing while not having this shelter in place thing. At this point in time, shelter in place for EVERYONE to me is simply a way to stay in your shell without considering other solutions. I live in Austin and it simply is not necessary here even though the mayor wants to extend it. This virus is simply extremely low risk to anyone under 50 above this age risk starts to increase with health issues. Anyone over 65 should still consider sheltering in place and avoiding bars, restaurants, large social gatherings, etc.

We actually do have steps that can be taken that reduce mortality, infection risk, severity of infection, and treatments after mild and severe infection.

However, you are correct there is no magic bullet. There is also no magic bullet to help an infirm older person that is at risk and who is getting hit the hardest and who can't take protective steps on their own. The people in long term care/elderly homes are just sitting ducks right now and those places are like prisons almost. I don't know the solution to that horrible problem, but do we let the large numbers of deaths in this places dictate the pace of the rest of life? Generally, we haven't before all of this.

No Worries likes this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Honestly, I didn't look into it a ton because it all seemed flawed or something and it seemed like Cuomo got it wrong too. A response to commodore won't make him talk, but it would have been nice for the whole group to see a constructive response rather than a simple online insult. Has anyone ever actually had any kind of conversation with commodore? I can't really ever recall one lol

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

its not just him honestly, maybe all of us to a degree are largely un-convinceable. There are certain people however when you put evidence in front of they continue to ignore it, he falls in that category. His premise is, regardless of what sort of #s, staying at home is not feesible period. I'm not dismissing his opinion, but he posts false/stupid things to back it up. If you think deaths are not worth shutting the economy over, you have that right...just don't post misleading stuff tbh

robbie380 likes this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It would be great if we had immediate and available testing for people who aren't rich/famous or leaders of government. Would help with the elderly/infirmed/prison populations wouldn't it?

Not pointing fingers at you, but it's easy for anyone to skew or mislead the discussion into binary "all isolation" or "all open" arguments. I've been working from home since the first week of March. I'd rather be out and I'm okay with not having a vaccine for things to open up.

What I'm not okay is having a healthcare system where doctors aren't ready to receive patients or routine visits, and playing a round of telephone tag to get access to a test that's only prioritized for people showing "oh ****" symptoms.

Sounds more like musical chairs than a real reopening of the economy.

Nook likes this.
  7. Major

Major Member

Is that still happening in Texas? I haven't tried to get testing since I don't have a reason, but I've heard its gotten much easier and you don't even need to talk to a doctor. This is from April 17th:

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/au...-requiring-doctor-s-note-for-covid-19-testing

AUSTIN, Texas – In an attempt to identify those who are at a higher risk of developing severe symptoms caused by COVID-19, the City of Austin is opening up testing by no longer requiring a physician referral in order to get a test.

Those hoping to be tested will still have to be pre-approved, but starting next week they will be able to fill out an online questionnaire.

The city notes that not everyone who fills out the form will be approved for testing. Community members will be able to fill out the questionnaire again as their symptoms change.

http://austintexas.gov/covid19

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Not sure, still happening in California with Blue Cross Blue Shield.

Kaiser might be better since they offer free roadside.

We have an exceptional patchwork of a system.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Who has gotten the antibody test? I'm getting my results tomorrow.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Nook, OmegaSupreme and robbie380 like this.
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

WRONG. This is the best drug. Everybody knows it. Great people made this drug. Very smart people. I know them. I talked to them. Bob Sacamano, a father in Ridgeland, OH was coughing badly... very bad. Fever. Chills. Took this drug, felt great the next day, returned to work in 48hrs, his wife says this drug is a blessing.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Time to read the study I guess. My cardiologist friend in Houston forwards his daily briefings to us and as of a few days ago they were recommending Remdesivir as the first option and HCQ as the backup option if Remdesivir was not available.

13. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Harris County is testing anyone who wants to, regardless of high risk category or symptoms.
    https://covcheck.hctx.net

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

When I was search for that new HCQ study (I have only found this summary https://www.cuimc.columbia.edu/news...not-support-its-routine-use-covid-19-patients) I found this one study that indicated anticoagulation drugs seem to help more severe cases. This is still only observational and more studies are being done. I was actually interested in a study like this because of what was noted in those briefings my friend had sent and from what Dr. John Campbell had discussed in one video. It seems like some of the respiratory complications were related to clotting and thicker blood. Plus my dad is already on one of these drugs so I was curious if it might help in the event of infection.

https://www.tctmd.com/news/anticoagulants-may-aid-covid-19-patients-nyc-data-suggest

Anticoagulants May Aid COVID-19 Patients, NYC Data Suggest
    Mount Sinai physicians found lower mortality with systemic anticoagulation and plan to dig deeper.

During hospitalization, 786 (28%) of these patients received systemic anticoagulation (oral, subcutaneous, or IV), with a median time from admission to therapy initiation of 2 days and median treatment duration of 3 days.

For those given anticoagulation, in-hospital mortality was 22.5% and, among those who died, the median survival was 21 days. For the those who didn’t receive anticoagulation, the figures were 22.8% and 14 days, respectively.

Patients in the anticoagulation group were more likely to later require mechanical ventilation (29.8% vs 8.1%; P < 0.001). They also tended to have increased baseline prothrombin time, longer activated partial thromboplastin time, and higher levels of lactate dehydrogenase, ferritin, C-reactive protein, and D-dimer; but when restricting analysis to the subset of 395 patients who received ventilation, those differences disappeared.

Among those on mechanical ventilation, in-hospital mortality was 29.1% and median survival was 21 days among anticoagulant-treated patients; by comparison, the death rate was 62.7% and median survival was 9 days among the patients who didn’t receive these drugs.

Using a Cox multivariate proportional hazards model adjusting for age, sex, ethnicity, body mass index (BMI), history of hypertension, heart failure, atrial fibrillation, prior anticoagulant use, and admission date, the researchers found that longer time on anticoagulation was linked to lower mortality risk (adjusted HR 0.86 per day; 95% 0.82-0.89).

B-Bob likes this.
  15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I got mine via Quest b/c our GP thought our household was "quite possibly" exposed in March. My results (last week) came back negative. I received zero data, just a "negative." I wish there was any data whatsoever, but nope.

Felt like wasted time and unneeded risk going for the blood draw. Maybe if I myself had endured some clear symptoms at some point. But I hadn't.

jacoby and daywalker02 like this.
  16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

robbie380 likes this.
  17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Low flying commercial jets should be really comforting to this particular, beleaguered city of... wait a minute.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The problem is most of us in our lifetimes have ever seen this scope of death. What we did before doesn't really apply to this situation.

Also the argument that this disease is extremely low risk for those under 50 so we just need to lock up the old folks and the rest of us go about our business ignores that we've still had thousands of people under 50 die from this. Also we don't fully know what the longterm affects of this disease are to people of all ages. What I do know from friends who have had and are well under 50 is that it's one of the worst experiences they've been through.

For isolating the elderly we are doing that already yet we still see a lot of deaths. We can't absolutely isolate the elderly also. They still have care givers and families. They still need to get food and other supplies. Also not all elderly are locked away in long term care facilities or assisted living and if you're counting elderly as above 50 most people in their 50's and 60's are still working and participating in society.

Nook, Deckard, DVauthrin and 2 others like this.
  20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

One of my coworkers tested positive that was with me during a company meeting where 10 people of over 100 got sick in January. I also travelled to the Newark area quite a bit in January/February.

heypartner and B-Bob like this.