1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Expect the NBA back playing by mid/late June with 10 reg season games before POs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 5, 2020.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It really doesn't. 10 people (including players) in training with Bundesliga tested positive last weekend. The teams are moving forward, and Germany is set to approve its return tomorrow. League resumes May 15.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ccer-10-bundesliga-test-positive-coronavirus/

Here in the States, MLB's plan — which has been developed in consultation with U.S. health authorities — does not include such a protocol.

While the possibility of a player or staff member testing positive for the coronavirus exists, even in a secured setting, officials do not believe that a positive test alone would necessarily be cause to quarantine an entire team or shut down the season, sources said.
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29004498/mlb-union-focused-plan-allow-season-start-early-arizona

One test shut down the NBA in March, yes. That's because of the scarcity of tests that were available at that time. We're talking about a scenario where players can be tested on a regular basis, and isolated as warranted.

Now, is the risk zero with such a plan? Of course not. If that's what you want, you're right — everything is done until a vaccine. But it's specifically because the virus isn't going away that the world is likely going to accept certain levels of risk. We're already seeing it. Unless you think the world is going to shut down for potentially years (remember, there are no guarantees of a vaccine) and throw away trillions of dollars and any semblance of normal life over a virus with a CFR in the 1% range (probably a lot less), a more reasonable scenario is to think we'll move forward in the safest ways that we reasonably can. I don't think that time is now in the U.S., because we need to continue growing our testing and tracing infrastructure. But I'm confident it's coming before a vaccine does.

#81 The Cat, May 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
  2. sheb

sheb Member

The Rockets are definitely going to win this championship.
    The commish owe's it to Harden, and what better way than to give him this one, knowing an * will be there.
    Plus the NBA has already lost so much marketing money, this year they can not care about the whole Morey vs China thing.

3. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I'd be down with a two month offseason.

GotGame15 likes this.
  4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Why are you confident of this? The federal government still apparently has no plan for this at all after 6 months of being on notice and if anything appears to be backing off. Some states are making plans and, you, know, maybe the apps and data brokers who have been buying and selling your location tracking in order to get you to buy shoes will coalesce into some contact tracing program....but maybe not.

But anyway what evidence do you have that "shutdown won't be needed" other than unnamed "sources who conferred with health officials" which is the way all of these optimistic maybe we can restart soon! articles are phrased. Isn't it telling that nobody ever goes on record for that kind of thing, given thata 14-21 day quarantine is what you and I would do, most likely?

Everything I've read about effective contact tracing in places that have employed it like South Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan Germany rely on pretty strict quarantine. If you had contact, you can't leave your room for the time period. That means the whole team, most likely in the case of the NBA based off one test

rimrocker likes this.
  5. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

Sports is better than no sports. At the end of the day man people just want to hoop. These are professionals, I bet they are dying to get back on the court. I know I cant wait to play pick up ball again.

6. amaru

amaru Member

I’m cheering for a well thought out, rational response to the biggest disease outbreak this country has seen in the last 100 years. I’m no expert but I am in the medical field. Doctors and nurses are literally BEGGING people to stay home because they are overwhelmed. I know people want their sports but it’s time to grow the hell up. We have lost over 70,000 people. That’s 70,000 fathers, mothers, sons and daughters. Many hospitals are short on equipment. The military is short on medical equipment. Yet people want to take unnecessary risks and get groups together to play a damn game? Look bro, life as we know it has changed. This is reality. Many experts think the declines we are seeing now are just a lull. How many people have to die for those of you living in a fantasy to see that this **** is serious?

#86 amaru, May 6, 2020
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
    Deckard, IvanLCPM, Little Bit and 3 others like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

hospitals overwhelmed? not exactly and not even close. doesn't seem like you've been following much of this. the fearmongers are just as bad as the ones waiting for this wave that is 2 weeks away from 2 weeks from happening, that's also coming. grow the hell up? like as in what? stop life from now on. nah

so when sports resume and they will at some point whether you like it or not, what then? are you going to stay in a box, not do anything because of everything you've just said. if not, then grow up right? quit acting like your view on this needs to be the exact same for everyone else. reality check, it sure isn't.

Smacktle, fattz and Tfor3 like this.
  8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Lebron is gonna forcé Silver to hand him the theory huh?

9. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Houston is an interesting option. Multiple locations where they could play games in a relatively close proximity. TC and UH (Tilman would love that ****) can immediately host games. NRG, NRG Park and the GRB can be fitted with courts. I’m not very familiar with the facilities at Rice or TSU but they could also be used. All of these places are in or near DT and there are plenty of suitable hotels that could be used to house teams in that area.

D-rock likes this.
  10. amaru

amaru Member

There are no overwhelmed hospitals? What fantasy world are you living in?!? I know of military hospitals right now that are practically shut down to all non critical patients. They literally are screening patients in multiple tents outside of the building because they don’t have enough room. The Army even went as far as requesting medical providers come out of retirement to help. My state, Georgia, is so short on medical staff to help with this thing that they have issued temporary nursing licenses to new grads and are reinstating licenses that have expired YEARS ago You must really have your head in the sand!

#90 amaru, May 6, 2020
    rimrocker and D-rock like this.
  11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Garbage.

Forcing it.

High risk of injuries.

Tainted title.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

but hospitals are overwhelmed..... you know what a real problem from all this is? the lack of actual patients,

https://www.newsweek.com/most-us-hospitals-are-empty-soon-they-might-closed-good-opinion-1500028

https://www.stltoday.com/business/l...cle_bf54d7f4-2c17-5aa1-84d8-f6b89c00fa83.html

https://www.lifezette.com/video/2020/05/most-u-s-hospitals-are-empty/

https://news.yahoo.com/many-field-hospitals-went-largely-201248060.html

The #1 hotspot who is also closing makeshift hospitals

https://nypost.com/2020/04/30/central-park-coronavirus-hospital-will-close-in-early-may/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

and finally, no point in turning this thread into a rona thread. there's plenty of those in the other forums. That said, I'm looking forward to sports returning. and appreciate @cyberx when he gives us news.

#92 YOLO, May 6, 2020
    Tfor3 likes this.
  13. amaru

amaru Member

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

sounds good. while you remain in a box. got it

Tfor3 likes this.
  15. amaru

amaru Member

Oh I got a feeling you’ll beat me to the box first.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

such an expert in so many areas, we know

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Do we know if they have done antibody testing on the entire league yet?

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

robbie380 likes this.
  19. kevtse

kevtse Member

natural selection - we have way too many stupid people in this world.

amaru likes this.
  20. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

The virus may be here but there are over 200k recovered Americans. Thousands were mild or had zero symptoms. The most vulnerable age/health wise can stay home. There are treatments like transfusions of blood plasma from recovered Covid patients, antivirals and antibiotics for 2ndary bacterial infections, better/faster detection of covid pneumonia (silent hypoxia via pulse oximeter) etc etc.

The rising temperatures should help. However, we don't know how strong a second wave may be this winter or if it will mutate and weaken or mutate/get stronger next year. If we are fortunate, it will disappear like SARS. Hospitals are more prepared to deal with this and ppe supplies are improving.

Wash your hands, don't touch your face and try to distance when possible. A successful vaccine will be the cherry on the top. Previous population exposure and a future vaccine will hopefully yield 'herd immunity. This is also an important time to reflect on prevention of metabolic syndrome (obesity/diabetes) and not smoking/vaping as that produces a population that is wildly susceptible to flu/covid deaths.

One player testing positive will not shut down the NBA again as we know more now. Gober-effect.

Just bring some games back and crown someone.

DeBeards likes this.