1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yep, she said I could post some of her stuff. LOL, she's not data-viz whiz, but she's a solid scientist (molecular biology).

EDIT: It wasn't very clear, sorry. This is a graph of US cause-of-death cases that don't fit nicely into the normal categories of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, pneumonia, etc. The bins R00-R99 are kind of a catch all for "other" kinds of death. As @heypartner notes in subsequent posts, actually the category R99 specificially is the true "unknown" cause of death category.
    Anyway, the idea here is that there were mystery deaths starting up in late 2019 and they're still increasing in the US into mid-April anyway.

[​IMG]

So, I hope this is clear [see above with edit, hopefully better]. The upper part and graph is Nov. 15, 2019 to Aprill 11, 2020.

The lower graph, using the same pace of weeks along the horizontal axis, goes from about Nov. 15, 2018 to April 11, 2019. The dotted line is just assuming the average for the last six weeks of 2018. This is all showing CDC category R00-R99 for cause of death.

This is US data. If you go to the CDC link I gave earlier, you can pick around by state and we could figure out where it started in 2019. I haven't done that yet.

#7301 B-Bob, May 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
    Jontro and Amiga like this.
  2. Juxtaposed Jolt

"One customer per stylist" -> For those of you that get haircuts in salons, does your stylist NOT only focus on you while you're there? If so, that's weird. You're in the middle of your haircut, and your stylist goes to another customer and begins on them??

"Appointments recommended."
    "Masks recommended."

I mean, all three points are basically pre-Covid days. If stuff is only 'recommended,' it's human nature not to care as much, versus "required."

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

walk ins are a huge part of a basic every day salons/barbershops that are like $5-$10. appointments aren't specific for those. so not exactly the same as pre-covid. other's are more specific that do prefer appointments and general walk ins don't get higher priority as far as waiting. all of this very much depends on your normal everyday list of clients. don't remember seeing masks much at any of these, if at all

#7303 YOLO, May 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
  4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

It's common for stylists to juggle a few female clients that are dying their hair. This order probably implies one customer out before another comes in.

Ziggy, Jontro and malakas like this.
  5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I actually got one of friends who is a professional data guy, and he built me a pivot table so I can slice and dice. Really interesting stuff. Some other respiratory deaths went down drastically recently. I'm assuming those people died of Covid before they would have died of their normal issues.

B-Bob likes this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

That's excellent. I only hope people within CDC are also digging this much, at least.

I was initially surprised at the mid-November rise in the US, but then, it never made sense to think something that contagious would just linger in Wuhan very long.

7. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I'm looking forward to seeing my big breasted Vietnamese girl who cuts my hair

Hakeemtheking, Nook and BigShasta like this.
  8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Also, is it one stylist per customer or can two people cut my hair?

Richie_Rich and B-Bob like this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Apologies if already posted... Appears likely this virus has been spreading quietly around the world for months earlier than initially presumed.
    _______

Coronavirus was circulating in France in December, case report suggests

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.li...irus-france-patient-zero-december.html?espv=1

B-Bob likes this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Is this easier to read? That site really makes it easy to query data.
    What do you want next, NY, NYC, California, Washington? Nothing extra really shows for them, though.

[​IMG]

#7310 heypartner, May 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
    robbie380 and B-Bob like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t have a problem with it at all. She played with the health of the community so she could make extra money. Extremely selfish and now she can fight the fine in court or pay it.

malakas likes this.
  12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

CA R00-99 consistently under 150 from 2014-May'19. Broke through 150 Jun-Aug'19, through 200 in late Sept'19, 300 in Nov'19, 400 in Dec'19... Yick.

NY R00-99 consistently under 200 from 2014-Sept'19. Broke through 200 in Oct'19, through 300 in Nov'19

Could have been in CA in Sept or even earlier. Did this really started in Wuhan! ? If indeed the first known case in Wuhan is 11/17 and that Wuhan cases were primary of a type that has already mutated (there was a parent), then it might have originated somewhere else.

robbie380, Hakeemtheking and B-Bob like this.
  13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I finally realized what all this graph was referring too and I started digging again. For some reason it didn't register in my head that this graph was of those unknown/abnormal deaths.

So I started going thru this data again and it seems to me that this stuff could have got here even earlier. California is the crazy one because it seems like possibly mid September something was going on, then by mid October stuff clearly gets a little odd, and with 100% certainty people were dying from covid (unless there is some other mysterious disease going around) by November.

If you look at Oklahoma they never record ANY deaths in this category until the week of Dec 21, 2019. Pretty odd to see that stand out like a sore thumb. From there they go 2 more weeks without any deaths in this category and then after that they consistently record deaths here for a grand total of 489. It had to be in Oklahoma by mid-Dec.

I'd love to see 2018 data, but if I'm betting then I would guess there is a chance covid was in New York in mid October, but it's certainly there by mid November. I could be off because the NYC data doesn't really seem to indicate something is wrong until early December.

New Jersey doesn't seem to spike up until late December.

I'm just eyeballing these numbers, but here's how I see other states based on the numbers
    • Illinois early November
    • Florida late November
    • Colorado late December/early Jan (another example similar to OK. No deaths in this category until week of 1/4/20)
    • Mass late December
    • Arizona early January
    • Texas early December
    • Washington October things look odd, but certainly in November
    • Wisconsin mid December
    All of this said there is almost no question that people were dying from covid all over the country by February. There are other Oklahome-like examples in places like Hawaii, Arkansas, Delaware, Idaho, Mississippi, Nevada, New Mexico....basically all over the map. Currently the earliest known recorded death is Feb 6. This CDC data indicates there was something going on months before that.

B-Bob likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I hope the experts were not suprised, that would be another failure on their parts, not to know that.

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Social distancing really knocked down the number of flu cases this spring.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

my point is, people are going to start opening up regardless of the edicts, and if the edicts are perceived as not enforceable, it undermines authority

better to move up the allowable open date and act like you are in control than have a bunch of stories of people defying the lockdown orders

Nook, B-Bob and daywalker02 like this.
  17. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Kind of related to this thing, or it wouldn't happen if we didn't have this stuff. Check out the Blue Angels in the sky today, if you like unique loud noises. If some of you never been to Fleet Week, you got to see it and feel it. It is much better than going to Air Shows and it is free. It is an amazing event that does not occur here.

18. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

So 25% capacity at the gym? Lol so your going to have some insane lines outside the doors. Especially when most people average at least an hour workout

just keep them closed smh

conquistador#11 likes this.
  19. Major

Major Member

I'm not sure the issue here (outside of safety concerns, which are legit). If there are long lines, people are obviously willing to wait and the service is in demand. Why would they need to be closed in that scenario? It's not like people are forced to go the gym or that gyms are forced to be open.