1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade DeAndre Hopkins to Arizona

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 16, 2020.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Like why didn't we trade for their Patrick Peterson or literally anyone with value on their team. a 2nd round pick, and a rb who hasn't been great since 2016.

We already have BoB defender Scarface talking about easily get from under it if RB was a bust, showing how stupid this trade was.

If u trade someone this good, gotta at least get someone competent back in return, not stupid "Potential bounceback/comeback" player.

houstonstime likes this.
  2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Cards were not trading Peterson. Elite CBs are more important than Elite WRs.

raining threes likes this.
  3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

How?

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

Pretty self explanatory for anyone that actually follows football tbh. Feel free to check the continues numbers that support his current decline

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I was referring to his contract is not hurting the team. As for his decline, we will see.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

We’ve been told Nothing hurts this team

7. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Agree with you on both counts! If Blacklock can push the pocket inside and JJ can stay healthy, that's going to help our pass rush. I'm equally excited to see what Jernigan can bring and how much Omenihu has improved in year two. On the outside adding Greenard, getting Ejiofor back (although I'm leery he'll add much this year) and having J. Martin to add with Mercilus should make us more productive. Although Martin is smaller, he appears to have that excellent bend that allows him to get around the corner. While Greenard isn't a genetic freak, he's an advanced technician and true student of his craft. I can't wait to see how he does as compared to some of the other Edge rushers from this draft. Needless to say, Weaver has some diversity and depth in his front 7 weapons that we didn't have last year.

TheFreak likes this.
  8. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

We really traded Hopkins for peanuts.

9. raining threes

They decided to throw numbers at the front 7. If Blacklock is as good as I think he is then the rush from the many edges on the team should be better. If Watt was somehow able to stay healthy and adding Blacklock the defense should be alot better next year.

10. raining threes

On passing downs I would like the DL to look like this

Martin/Omenihu/Blacklock/Watt.

11. raining threes

Depends on what you think of Blacklock.

Also Cooks isn't chopped liver. Hopefully DJ returns to form and the 2021 4th could be used to move up in the draft to the 2nd rd where they might find another player with potential like Blacklock's.

12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

He's a backup making elite RB money. That's money wasted on a team that needs every dollar.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Texans got a 2021 4th round pick for All-Pro WR DeAndre Hopkins. :eek:
    2nd was for the right to take on David Johnson's toxic contract.

Rams had to release Gurley
    Jets are stuck with Le'Veon
    Chargers couldn't trade Gordon
    Jaguars can't trade Fournette

Kenyan Drake went for a 5th
    Jordan Howard for a 6th
    Matt Breida for a 5th

Meanwhile Billy Bob Brien trades a 3rd for Duke Johnson and an All-Pro WR for David Johnson

Speaking Friday morning on 98.7 Arizona Sports, Cardinals GM Steve Keim said cutting David Johnson is "not an option." The reality is Johnson's exorbitant salary in 2020 makes him near impossible to release (it would leave behind a whopping $16.2 million in dead money) and similarly difficult to trade. Slowed by injuries and ineffectiveness, the declining 28-year-old has slumped to a pedestrian 3.6 yards per carry since breaking out for a career-best 20 touchdowns in 2016.

#1513 J.R., May 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
  14. vince

vince Member

Texans already went through a disastrous negotiations with Duane Brown and Clowney.

The Brown negotiations were horrible, and McNaire was humiliated with the inmates running the prison, which Brown utilized to further embarras McNair.... There would be no Brown / Texans happy ending after that bridge was crossed by Brown.

The Texans offered good money to Clowney, but he thought he was being disrespected, and now Seattle is offering him less money than he thinks he is worth. It ended with the Texans trading a pro bowler with a year of control, for a 3rd round pick and fillers...

Hence when Hopkins started kicking the can about a new contract with 3 years left. The Texans knew it was time to maximize his value, no matter how depleted it was. If Hopkins showed good faith, he’d of asked privately about a new contract, but he had some fighting words, and Texans moved him for what they thought was a realistic return.

Thus is sports in the 21 century, the players have a whole lot of leverage, and teams are at their mercy.

Hopkins is amongst the best receivers, but the Texans have a very good WR group. But the biggest thing is they have Deshaun Watson at QB. And he is due for the biggest NFL contract when he signs; of course until the next Elite QB Signs his contract.

15. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

this is brand new information, cant believe no on has said this a million times

16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Why does it bother u if we keep repeating it? It was a sht trade. Don't see u complainin when there's BoB dck riders sprouting the same bs over and over to defend the man.

3Rings and htownrox1 like this.
  17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think they have come out okay from the offseason additions plus the draft.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I still can't believe this happened.

TEXNIFICENT and BigShasta like this.
  19. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

it doesn't bother me, I mean we all know same thing has to be said a million times before it sinks in, it is truly not a bad trade until like we have 20 pages of the same comments.

btw I am not sure if this has been posted, what is the general census on the trade you think?

20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Pretty negative. The Clowney trade, which people are still negative about isn't even on the same level of how sht this trade was and that one got like a 90ish% negative votes on the poll.

U will see a few BoB defenders and optimist spin that this trade was the right move. "Trading an elite WR for a broken down RB and more WRs will make our offense less predictable and good overall for the franchise. Plus the low drafts picks we got from the trade was great since we drafted players that has potential. "

My thoughts are simple:
    Elite WR in their prime regardless of contact drama should yield at least a 1st round pick. What we got back (a running back that hasn't been great since 2016 and meh draft pick haul) was an insult, yet we have people on here praising BoB for this sht trade.

I can repeat that this trade was sht millions of time, and u will still see BoB dck riders post back saying this trade was a great one. Sadly to disappoint you if u think repeatin stuff will make a difference to any BoB defenders on here. Hell most of them are in denial that they love BoB jockstrap.