1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Jordan/Bulls Documentary] 'The Last Dance'

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Apr 16, 2020.

1. Caesar

Caesar Member

Let's put MJ at point guard and have him pass to his bum teammates
    http://ballislife.com/michael-jordan-could-of-been-the-best-point-guard-ever-want-proof/
    And let's not pretend with hindsight that this triangle offense ever worked before. Saying Michael couldn't win because he didn't play team ball liek the Lakers/Celtics/Pistons without comparing talent on the teams is ignorant. The triangle and Phil were complete unknowns. MJ was already an MVP/DPOTY coming off of being up 2-1 in the ECF against the b2b champs who didn't lose a single game to anyone else. Of course MJ was going to be hesitant to change to unknowns.

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Both. When Pip avg 9 in the series they lost 4-2, Jordan took 124 shots....double his next starter, who only took 60. Again, this was the Collins system that encouraged Jordan to jack at will. They switched to a system to get others involved more. The documentary even covers this.

Pippen was an All-Star in 90. He just had an unfortunate injury when it mattered most. Jordan only shot 47% that series, down from 53% in the regular season. He shot 54% and 55% in the first two series. He played worse too.

The system changed. The talent didn’t. Everyone improved on weaknesses, including Jordan. But stop trying to discount his supporting cast. Again, every year Jordan won his team had more talent than the teams they faced. He retired and they still almost went to the Conf Finals. Then added another HOF player, who was historically great at rebounding and defense. Trying go discount his supporting cast is laughable.

RudyTBag likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

#223 daywalker02, May 3, 2020
    Last edited: May 3, 2020
    Tfor3 likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

As I said all true, yet a Center can't control the flow and rhythm of a game, it had to be slowed down to a Half court game for them and not open court.

A guard can, and shoot a buzzer beating 2 in this case in the Finals. Fadeaways like Mike.

There are things only a guard can do other than Hakeem, but Jabar and Russell didn't need to be Hakeem.

Which is why the Goat conversation was between Lebron, a tweener with guard skills and Mike, last time I checked.

Just on skill level, fundamentals alone.

5. ommy48

ommy48 Member

Best video on the MJ and LBJ debate showing how it really is not much of a debate at all when you look at the entire picture.....

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This popped up in the recommendations -- a little click bait, but the story of Artest breaking Jordan's ribs is interesting.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I mean yeah, I get why there is a conversation.

Lebron is the more versatile player but to me he always was a stronger, much better Pippen.

Jordan is just the juggernaut. Not physically of course, mentally and defensively minded.

Caesar likes this.
  8. BigBum

BigBum Member

Kobe might have “Last Sing” soon?

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

A center can control the flow of the game. You are ignoring rebounding and defense. Getting stops. Notice how Jordan lost when he didn’t have someone on his team to do these things in 95?

The most dominant team we’ve seen, the Boston Celtics, were designed around a C dominating and igniting a fast break offense. It worked 11 times in 13 years. Seems to work just fine....

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Wow watching Jordan during his press conferences makes you really appreciate his sincerity. Makes Lebron look even faker, didn’t think that was possible.

Poloshirtbandit, JumpMan and Tfor3 like this.
  12. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

The most important thing I learned from all this is why Michael doesn't do much post career analysis or commentary in the basketball world, aside from his ownership of the Hornets, because he is dead sick and tired of the spotlight and rightfully so. He literally endured something no other athlete in history ever had to in terms of the scrutiny of publicity.

#232 Sanctity, May 3, 2020
    Last edited: May 3, 2020
    daywalker02 and Tfor3 like this.
  13. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Not enough gets said about winning championships with multiple teams.

Not that anyone was counting but Kerr was able to win San Antonio and Chicago!

14. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Who?

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

A lot of things in this video are biased, also some stats like the clutch rating have been completely cherry picked based on the loose definition of the term.
    There are several clutch statistics where LeBron is actually ahead of MJ and the rest of the pack (fg made and fg% with 10sec on the clock left, end of game etc), the only real category where he suffers is the entire last 24sec, but even then you gotta see his assisted fg ratio is far lower than for other guys, so the fg% naturally declines when he's the one that has to take the shot.

But even then, if you reduce the 24sec to 10sec, he's again leading the pack. The stats in the vid also aren't separated into only playoff clutch rating, where again LeBron is ahead.

Even many of the NBA greatest are saying they are on par or that LeBron only needs championships to catch up, as they are on par when it comes to performance. I'd take the opinions of actual NBA players every time over videos with an agenda.

17. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

So this documentary has shown me that I do NOT think the Bulls could have won a fourth in a row in 93-94 even if Jordan played. I'm not sure they even get out of the East. Jordan was mentally and physically exhausted. The battering play and the media attention took its toll. It summed it up for me when they were describing the win in 1993 as "relief".

It looks like his "break" to play baseball was critical in his return to greatness in 95-98.

I think they lose to the Pacers or Knicks in the East even if he plays.

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

100% wrong.

In the 80s and 90s, Centers controlled all of the flow and all of the rhythm via defense...

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Jordan had a mystique about him even then. It was rare people would clown him. They would love him or despise him, but rarely was he the butt of jokes. I think social media has made things worse for Lebron. He's arguably a top-5 player all-time and still gets clowned. It's somewhat a result of what society is like today. Jordan was revered for the most part, but Lebron gets clowned. Nowadays the "I gotta promote my brand" is in your face and can backfire when people get tired of it. Back then Mike was Nike, but I never thought Mike was trying to shove Nike down my throat or self-promoting. I did think Nike was trying to shove MJ on everybody, though, but rarely the reverse. Maybe because I was a kid.

It's weird, because I know how good Lebron is, but I never think of him as a basketball god like I did Jordan (and still do to a certain extent). Again... maybe it's the growing up that caused it? Maybe it's social media knocking him down to "mere mortal" levels?

20. rockets13champs

Have any of y’all noticed episode 4 speaks to why the rockets fail with being harden centric?

bulls were Jordan centric just like us before Phil Jackson hiring.

pretty interesting