1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 Season and MLB Realignment. Stros and Dodgers in Same Division

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketsjudoka, Apr 29, 2020.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The MLB is working on their plan to play games at regional facilities in AZ and FL with no crowds. The league will be realigned with three divisions of 10 teams each with the Stros in the West with the Dodgers. Some are saying this is Karma for the Stros and a boon to Stro haters to have to face the team that feels they were cheated out of the WS 7 times (ignoring of course they also accuse the BoSox too). The West will also include the A's who have no love for the Stros too.

I don't think if this happens that will be a big deal especially with no crowds to egg on players. What do y'all think.
    https://www.12up.com/posts/mlb-cons...format-for-shortened-2020-season-01e719djhjde

MLB Considering New Wild Format for Shortened 2020 Season
    By Thomas Carannante | Apr 29 2020

At this point, we'll take ANY format or setting, we just need sports back -- especially baseball, since we were deprived of Opening Day in unfortunately dramatic fashion.

It's been evident that Major League Baseball is considering any and all alternatives in order to commence some kind of season in 2020, and the latest update on those efforts suggests we could see some colossal changes.

First off, executives are optimistic the season will start in late June (and no later than July 2) and will feature at last 100 games. And we could see games being played in every team's home stadium! ...though it would be without fans.

The grander plan? A three-division landscape of 10 teams each in which each team onlys opponents within their division. They'd be divided by areas of the country -- West, Central and East -- and would do away with the American League and National League labels. A free for all!

There's a SLIGHT chance we could have fans in the stands for late-regular season and playoff games, but we probably wouldn't carry our optimism that far. Let's focus on what we have at the moment.

Overall, this blueprint would reduce travel and avoid the league having to play all their games in one location, which was a previous discussion with the controversial Arizona plan. This just goes to show how adamant the MLB and its players are about getting back on the diamond, so long as health experts deem it reasonable and safe. The continuous creativity and dedication to making this happen under the right circumstances speaks volumes.

Also this article:
    https://www.12up.com/posts/proposed...s-amazing-dodgers-astros-rivalry-01e71j4gf1ht

MLB's Proposed Division Realignment Plan Creates Perfect Scenario for Fans Who Hate the Cheating Astros
    By Sam Dunn | Apr 28 2020

2. msn

msn Member

How about the cheating Red Sox? The cheating Yankees? Or how about this: f you, Sam Dunn.

3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Really limits our travel. Lol

Rock Block likes this.
  4. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Ah the irony that those same "fans" will have no voice to scream at those "cheating Astros" this year.....probaly the entire season. Would be so sweet to hold that trophy up in 2020. Boy would that burn their asses.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If by some miracle we have a actual games in stadiums with crowds this year. I plan on going to a Stros road game wearing my orange Altuve jersey and hat. I will sit back and smile at the boos and people banging trashcans..

dannah, PuzzledFan and RayRay10 like this.
  6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Or...what if...the Stros still win that division? What will be the excuse then?

7. msn

msn Member

I want to see it. I want them to go 100-0. I want them to beat the Dodgers by an average of 10 runs per game. I want Jose Altuve and Carlos Correa to finish 1-2 in MVP balloting. I want the Astros to sweep the playoffs, and McCullers to revive is SIUEFA hash tag. I want the Astros to rub it in the media's arrogant faces, and I want to watch that smug hypocrite Manfred be forced to hand the WS trophy to Jim Crane and the WS MVP to Verlander or Springer. Then I want to see Crane hire Hinch to replace Baker as he retires happy and on top. And the 2021 slogan to be, Suck it, Manfred. The dynasty lives.

Plowman, dannah, rpr52121 and 2 others like this.
  8. Mattician

Mattician Member

"Perfect scenario for fans who hate the cheating Astros."
    So this is only directed at Dodgers fans? The title is about one of 30 teams?

"Karma's a funny thing, isn't it?"

"think about what's going to happen if they have to play the Dodgers, who lost the 2017 World Series in seven games, 10 (or more) times before the playoffs even begin?"

What's their point? What if the Astros win the regular season series? What karma?

JayGoogle and RayRay10 like this.
  9. msn

msn Member

Can't wait to be in division with the Dodgers again. Memories of Pedro Guerrero, Orel Hersheiser, Jerry Reuss, Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Fernando Valenzuela... As for these current Dodgers and their fans, let's destroy them and their playoff hopes, and wipe their whiny faces in their defeat. 1980-81 weren't so long ago, it's easy to revive that good ol' Dodger hate. Screw them and their fans. Go Astros!

Plowman, dannah, JayGoogle and 5 others like this.
  10. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

lol wut

You mean *was?

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Texas is not on the West Coast. That’s all.

AstrosRockets1818 and cmoak1982 like this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Aint' no place I'd rather be...back to Tennessee..

Hank McDowell likes this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It’s absolutely stupid to be in the west. Every team is on the extreme west coast with exception of the two Texas teams. There is way more travel for Stros and Rangers than any other in that division.
    **** California.

Also, why would Pittsburgh be in the East and Atlanta be in the Central?

14. msn

msn Member

1980 and 1981 were not so long ago...

15. msn

msn Member

Granted, but there is a concentration of teams on the east coast. There are 14 teams in the Eastern Time Zone, and 16 teams in all three other time zones put together (8 in the Central; 2 in Mountain; 2 in Pacific). Some of those 14 are going to end up travelling more, unless there are uneven divisions. I don't mind it so much because I have great memories of old NL West battles. My work schedule also has me working a lot of evenings; getting those late games is nice for me (I realize a lot of folks feel very differently to this.)

BigM likes this.
  16. msn

msn Member

Typo, corrected.

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I get why we’re there but it’s still ass. But I’ll take baseball any way I can get it.

The Beard and msn like this.
  18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I wonder, if in the 80's, they were saying the 1930's-1940's were not that long ago...

The television era has seemingly slowed time, as games and memories are preserved... but 1980 was a long time ago. Hell, 1994 was a long time ago. we remember those times like they were yesterday because of where we were in life and how those times impacted us individually.

htwnbandit and Nook like this.
  19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

At this point, you just gotta learn to embrace the hate. It just shows you how much of a god-like platform other fan think we are on. They know we were just on another tier, head and shoulders above the rest of the league. They only hate the great ones. We are the great one.

Plowman, SWTsig, BigM and 2 others like this.
  20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

LOL at all these dumbasses who think the Astros are going to be a .500 team this season. Newsflash: THEY ARE STILL REALLY ****ING GOOD. Outside of the Dodgers, there isn't a single other team that could possibly be favored to win that division.