1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans extending Tunsil

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Same.

2. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Good news..

Bad news is that BOB is still the HC / Gm.

3. showa13

showa13 Member

Not here to defend BoB or Scarface, but the contract in a vacuum is market value. You want a top OL you either get lucky and draft one or you make them the highest paid guy. A lot of you a couple off seasons ago wanted us to overpay for Trent brown. Tunsil is better. Again, this is just looking at the contract in a vacuum, the whole entirety of the deal(the draft picks) is a massive overpay.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Ok. LOL. I go by what I see. Tunsil was better than anything else in this draft. And to move up to get a Tackle close to his quality, you would have Given up 2 #1s (your pick this year and another pick next year) anyway. I would rather have a PROVEN tackle.

raining threes likes this.
  5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Ah yes the BoB dck rider would rather like a proven talent and paying 2 first round draft picks for it even if that player wants a massive contract extension. But when it comes to the best WR in the league right now, he's fine with Our Sht GM getting rid of him for jack sht not even a first round pick. Goes to show, the BoB dck rider would spin it in anyway possible to make BoB look competent.
    Don't forget this is the poster that said Draft picks are overrated.

Personally I think we could have gotten him for a first and possibly a second, third, or fourth round pick. Two first round pick was BoB being desperate and the Dolphins trade raped him for it. It was a trade we needed, due to sht team development/drafting under the BoB regime, but cost a lot.

6. raining threes

Yep

Almost everybody knew a deal was going to get done. Do you think some fans were hoping a deal wouldn't get done just so they could say I told you so?

7. raining threes

And you would be wrong.

To get a talent like Tunsil you would have to trade to 4 (Pro Bowl level) how much would that cost? #26 this yr and a #1 next plus some more. Value wise the trade was fair. If you trade for Pro Bowl level talent, guess what, they get paid and Tunsil got paid. I've got no issues with that.

Does that make me a BOB D!ck rider? Remember I wanted him fired after 51-7. I also though he did a great job in his first draft where he called the shots.

The front 7 is going to be greatly improved this season. This wasn't a sexy draft but a badly needed draft. Thanks for bringing Blacklock home. He's going to be a stud.

rugg31 likes this.
  8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Stfu. Dont talk to me about pro bowl value. He wasnt that when we traded for him so that makes your arguement moot. We legit gave up 2 first round pick for a guy with great potential, and we overpaid draft assets for him. BoB also got out negotiated by the dude without no agent to the highest oline contact when he isnt even the best one.

Hopkins was traded for lesser value and he was a bonafide pro bowl, another reason why gm BoB is sht at his job.

Two sht trades and we still need more seasons to properly analyze how sht they were. Hopkins was a sht show, Tunsil is debatable.
    I already know u arent a BoB dick rider, u are just a legit Watson hater for god knows why.

The draft i have no expertise or knowledge so i will reserve further criticism until the season is over. But BoB has a sht track record for developing talent.

If u are gonna defend BoB, make sure your arguement works for every situation. Willing to overpaid two first round picks and warrant that sht trade for a player that isnt even pro bowler yet. Yet no mention as he trade away the best wr who is a pro bowler for jack sht since his ego got hurt, arent legit pro bowlers suppose to net first round picks?

#88 DatRocketFan, Apr 26, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    TheRealist137 and RasaqBoi like this.
  9. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I don’t mind giving up a late first rd pick on a top 3 LT in the NFL in pass blocking. Doing so though meant having to pay him big..which is fine. Kenny Stills was also big for the Texans.

10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Sure no one would argue if it was just one late round, but two? Thats where its debatable, signing to only a 3 year contact is questionable also. But at least hes locked up

11. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

there are always fans like that. It’s one of the foundational ingredients of cancel culture. Mob mentality and stubbornness. Lots of fans on social media platforms like Twitter are like national reporters in the sense that they have to choose an image and narrative and defend them at all costs. Usually it’s the narratives that make for great jokes and tweets for likes/engagement. “Aspiring viral post makers” are what they really are.

having said that, put me in the camp that thought Tunsil could possibly be gone. BOB has shown that he will make transactions for his version of the greater good. Taking less than market value is a price he’d pay to achieve his agenda. Giving up too many assets to get his guy is another one he’d do.

If Tunsil dragged this out, it’s not outside the realm of possibility that BOB trades him just to avoid a player disgruntled with his financial situation being in the locker room. Trent Williams went for a middle round pick. I could see BOB giving up a 1st or 2nd just to ensure he gets a Yes on the phone right then and there. He seems to like moving on quickly, so the extra value in assets is the price he’s paying for it.

I’m just glad Tunsil is here for a bit longer. Now I hope to see Deshaun get extended soon.

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You don’t understand the concept of draft capital, do you?

To trade up, you give up your pick to swap out for the higher pick. Then you give up your 1st the next year. So really, it is One pick with a pick swap. The 2 - 1st round picks is actually wrong. Now, with Tunsil it was 2 1st round picks because Tunsil was already in the league and not in the draft.

So if the Texans had kept their pick, and traded up...would have given up the same thing. The difference is you get a proven LT...who was still only 24 at the time of the trade.

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Just say “Bill O’Brien did it, so it must suck and be the worst thing in NFL history”. Save us all the time of reading your diatribe.

14. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

If u dont even bother to read it stfu, we dont need your input. Go suck BoB dck somewhere else. I waited until the offseason to criticize yet u cant handle it go sulk to those that care cause im done trying to reason with u.

I feel bad for the poster who took that bet with u. U Seem like a dude who cant honor his words if the situation doesnt suits him.

#94 DatRocketFan, Apr 26, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  15. meh

meh Contributing Member

The way most teams handle this is agree to an extension at below market value before making the trade. If we had done this he'd probably come in at lesser price and, more importantly, more years of team control. The first big contract of any pro athlete is the one that teams can most squeeze on because the player tend to lack the financial stability to play hardball in negotiations.

This just speak more to the core incompetency of the front office. They gave in to only 3 years, and still made it mostly guaranteed and high AAV. They got essentially no upside with this deal. And this is an extension not a FA contract. Yet they still had to give Tunsil everything and more

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

@TEXNIFICENT @red5rocket See my point? A child. Because you don't condemn everything BoB doesn't, you are "dick riding". LOL.

The guy is joke. He has no argument because he doesn't know **** about football and the way the NFL works. It's sad, really.

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

BTW.....why are u still posting? I thought you were done? Go creep over to Cowboyszone.com. BoB is here for 2 years...atleast.

18. dmoneybangbang

I like Tunsil and Stills but we really overpaid because we waited too long to address the issue. I don't think it was such a terrible move, but it's just compounded with other bad moves.

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Exactly, but if u say it too much a certain BoB defender gets pissed off that we keep saying it too much and we should just let the sht trades and moves get swept under the carpet.

No one is saying Tunsil isn't good, we are just saying that we fking overpaid and got out negotiated by a dude without even an agent to rep him highlightin how sht BoB is at certain part of being a GM.

U can't counter that Tunsil was worth 2 first round pick and then say Hopkins doesn't even warrant one because Hopkins was disgruntled. Batsht defense to defend BoB at all cost is just mind numbing.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

They guy will average $19 million over 4 years (including the last over his rookie deal). The reason he got the $22 million average is to get him the raise THIS season. It is also structured to lower his Cap number.

You are ****ing clueless about the way NFL contracts work.