1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Public Health Expert predicts sports events won't be able to return until Fall 2021

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Williamson, Apr 15, 2020.

1. TilmanFinancialWindfall

I'm living for my sugar babies

2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yea they don't want those big salaries, na those players want to wait another year and give up those millions lolololol

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

At this rate they might cancel the Olympics. You can do fan-free basketball, baseball, etc. But fan free Olympics? lol.

4. malakas

malakas Member

yeah.
    The thing is that if one of them get this kind of pneumonia their carreer in the NBA may be pretty much over.
    If I get Covid19 pneumonia and lose 5% lung capacity big deal.

But if an NBA player loses 5% lung capacity...

Pneumonia is considered by the WHO, the CDC and all health ministries as a mild symptom of Covid19.

jcf and daywalker02 like this.
  5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Who knows what will happen. Billionaire owners with Trump behind them will do their best to have the NBA playoffs this summer. Money, Lakers and fans, Vegas bookies, and so much more are powerful influencers, regardless of what the Health officials deem safe or smart. If they do push on, and put the NBA players, coaches, trainers, and media up on that list for priority testing, like doctors, nurses, and emergency responders then it says a lot.

6. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

The Rockets could potentially have other issues aside from COVID economic effects keeping fans away. Oil price wars and supply gluts occurred simultaneously, currently a barrel of oil is less than a vodka soda in NYC. I know Houston has diversified its economy over the last two decades, but this is still in my opinion extremely relevant to revenue for the Rockets and Tilman's other businesses, maybe more so than the other macro economic effects of COVID.

I just don't see the average Houston area household rushing to return to his restaurants with COVID economic impacts and oil prices where they are.

#146 BallSoHarden, Apr 18, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    Williamson and Gray_Jay like this.
  7. jcf

jcf Member

This. I get the focus on testing. But, the testing for those who already had it w/out their knowledge seems more important for us as a society (assuming current beliefs re: immunity prove true). If you are at risk for contracting whenever you come into contact with another human or touch a surface and inadvertently touch a membrane, you simply couldn't test enough to be sure. you would need to be tested every few hours.

Add on Malakas' point re: reliability of test w/ asymptomatic or presymptomatic individuals, and you start to think you can't test your way out of this (unless massive testing shows we have achieved herd immunity levels).

malakas likes this.
  8. jcf

jcf Member

Are you worried about traveling domestically? We shut down our firm March 12/13th, and my family has been in deep lockdown since then. If things get lifted in a few weeks, and I am told I need to fly to NY or elsewhere for something, I'm not sure what I would do. I have a different perspective re: the importance of my job right now (while grateful to still have it right now).

9. jcf

jcf Member

Have you seen information that most patients have permanent loss from the virus? I was hoping it was less than that.

malakas likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

I am worried about flying period. I am less concerned about driving. It is a very difficult situation because at some point life will go on but we all have to be smart because of the risks.

As far as your job. I don’t know how long you have practiced. I can tell you that there is a 90% chance I lose the firm I cofounded because I have kept paying my people and as a result have forced my two cofounders at their locations to do the same. I will by most measures see my wealth cut by 80% but do not regret it. I did what I felt was right... my point being you need to do what is right for you and your family and what let’s you sleep at night.

Easy, SWTsig, CCity Zero and 3 others like this.
  11. jcf

jcf Member

30 years. We are all "working" remotely (or trying to) and decided, like you, no lay-offs. Hanging on. Hope the best for you.

12. malakas

malakas Member

Not most.
    There have been some perliminary studies done in Wuhan that a significant part of people have diminished lung capacity after they recovered
    It's only been 3 months. There is no way to do any study in chronic effect.
    However considering that people who got bilateral severe pneumonia, have necrotic lesions in their lungs, coughing up black dead tissue ...

It may not be so important for the average person- at least for the time being-..as long as they dont' plan to go climb mountains or do severe exercise..but for professional athletes that is a different story.
    It may be decades from now that we find out the effects on the average population from losing capacity in their lungs..for example a rise in Chronic pulmonary diseases, respiratory infections etc.

jcf, CCity Zero and Nook like this.
  13. PhiSlammaJamma

The public got a whiff of hope last week unfortunately, but it was a false sense of security. Agree there should be no reopening of anything nationally until we have a vaccine or that curve falls off a cliff nationally. Having a statewide plan is a disaster waiting to happen. And letting sports kickstart is even worse. This ain't over. And we are not ready to move on. The economy is not worth it. If we open, will we be ok? Sure. But we're giving this virus life instead of bleeding it dry. We're giving it hope. Not only a chance to thrive, but a chance to mutate too. This isn't a Hollywood movie where we can just magically have a happy ending because we want it. This is real. The American spirit can't overpower it. We have got to remain patient. Or we need squid rain to bring us back to our senses.

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

many people disagree...protests are starting to pop up around the country

u hate to see it

A few hundred conservative activists, some waving flags supporting President Donald Trump, demonstrated on the steps of the Texas Capitol building on Saturday to call for an end to social restrictions aimed at curbing the spread of the coronavirus.

The rally was one of several that small-government proponents and Trump supporters have held or plan to hold in states around the country. Trump took to Twitter this week to urge supporters to “LIBERATE” states led by Democratic governors.

The Texas protest, which also included anti-vaccine activists, was organized by Owen Shroyer, a host of Infowars, which is a part of a company owned by conspiracy theorist and radio host Alex Jones. Shroyer also broadcast a small protest earlier this week outside the governor’s mansion in Texas.

Jones joined protesters on the Capitol steps on Saturday and was quickly surrounded by his fans. He is being sued in Austin for using his show to promote the false conspiracy theory that the 2012 Sandy Hook massacre was a hoax.

Abbott announced Friday that Texas next will will begin lifting some restrictions on retailers, will reopen state parks and will allow doctors to resume elective surgeries. He said more restrictions would be lifted April 27.

Texas has had more than 18,200 confirmed cases of COVID-19 , the disease caused by the coronavirus, and at least 453 related deaths. Texas ranks last in the U.S. in coronavirus testing per capita, according to an analysis by The Associated Press of data collected by The COVID Tracking Project.

15. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Unbelievable. Protest called for and lead by the Ptousa

What is wrong with these people

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Good to know that our country has its priorities strait. It would say a lot indeed o_O

17. jim petersen84

He is just puppet controlled the ruling elite

18. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

20 million American families have lost a job over a virus that for all practical purposes is only an outsized threat to the elderly and those with hypertension or diabetes. Governments have forced private businesses to close, in a gross overreach of power. Citizens are forced to wear masks in public. Citizens are demanding that private businesses be repurposed to make PPE/test kits/ventilators. Citizens are demanding that people's locations be traced. This is all a major, MAJOR usurpation of power and trampling of civil liberties. All for a virus that is only a fatal threat to people with major health problems to begin with. For the rest of us, the fatality rate is lower than many risks that we voluntarily take daily (driving a car in the rain for instance).

There will be no private healthcare industry in America if the economy is closed for much longer. Then how many will die? More lives will be saved, and millions more livelihoods will be saved if we reopen very soon. Social distance and use all the new hygiene steps for protection, but get back to work.

HELL YES we should be protesting. The government is not going to tell me who I can socialize with or when I can open my businesses. Sorry, it doesn't work that way in this country.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

41,000 Americans have died of this virus through today.
    Only 8 days ago, the number was 20,000.

You can stupidly pretend that this isn't that big of a deal. We live in a country where you are free to be as stupid as you like. Go for it.

Easy likes this.
  20. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

We grieve for these deaths. But we must move forward as a society and reopen, taking the appropriate precautions, in order to PREVENT more deaths. Lockdown doesn't reduce the number of deaths. It just extends the timeline so hospital capacity isn't exceeded. The risk of hospital capacity being exceeded has passed. There is no longer a "save lives" rationale to lockdown.