1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

lately- unless I feel really confident in a gap up/pre play or it's a long term plan, not often.. I think this week my longer hold was SDC in at 4.25, I was expecting this to probably be weekend thing but it's already moving. Unfortunately I dumped my option early, but still have some shares. This one isn't like some super play but thought it'd go more than it has.. But volume jumped sooner than I expected so I'm watching for careful exit atm.

Last night in late AH I grabbed AMC and few others but sold off this morning. With that said since the bigger crash occurred I haven't been holding anything super volitale over the weekend. I mean on like new Covid-19 related plays etc.. Like I'll close larger positions if I'm doing good on it and won't take a huge gamble, just because of how fast pr makes these change.

2. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

I’m not in it and fear I’m too late to the game. I like that it is a hedge against and a **** you to banks, but yeah, it’s not invulnerable and not insured... ultimately it’s half ponzi and half religion.
    there is risk but man, the upside is tempting me.

3. adoo

adoo Member

closed at >178 closing the gap. w less motivated sellers, on a run up to earnings call, new buyers will step in
    bidding up the price. no resistance until the peak

CCity Zero likes this.
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm not sure how it's a hedge against banks and while you're saying "**** you" to banks, it's probably saying the same to your account. Hardly anybody takes it as a currency and it has definitely not been a "store of value". Currently it's just pure gambling and throwing darts at a wall. If you have disposable income to blow, sure, why the hell not and sit on some for the hell of it? But it trades so randomly and is probably so manipulated, I'd be careful. And while you're looking at it going to $100,000, u can always keep dropping 50% for a long..... damn..... time..... lol. Stay safe. :)

CCity Zero likes this.
  5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Placed calls on GE, BAC for 4/24.. I really don't like BAC but I'll gladly move contracts. This was before eod run, so might get rid of them early depending how weekend goes, just think both will move. Retrying USO call and put, I'm thinking this is probably trash play but will cover gambles on options.

6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, this was my impression too, like on the currency aspect, I don't buy it as a true currency/isolated when it's more manipulated than the stock market and will gladly follow the market/usd/banks. Like when the crash happened btc wasn't a staple, I mean it's basically following the latest stock trends and will gain/lose value as it wants from demand. I know USD isn't necessarily backed, but it's still what everything is measured against and will continue to be. I mean that's where btc is getting value is on demand, and unlike inflation it's not something that you can see since it changes so rapidly.

I do think it will go up towards this 5/12 date but not something I am feeling the need to move to over trading on stocks. I also never really liked the exchange aspect vs true broker site for stocks

With that said though, right now if I wanted to throw 10k at a dartboard, I'd rather buy heavy calls/puts in Tesla/amazon/Netflix - hell even some random covid gain - I think I'd be a lot more likely to come out ahead with the options vs btc

#9426 CCity Zero, Apr 17, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  7. thegary

I hear you, but all trading is gambling, throwing darts against the wall, and manipulated.

8. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

Thoughts on USO? Looking to go in long term monday.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I keep thinking "how much lower can oil go" and it keeps answering the question. lol. I can't believe it went under $18 today. I'm thinking about dipping my toes into something for "buy and hold", but not sure what. Maybe a boring stock like Chevron or something. :D

CCity Zero likes this.
  10. thegary

I think oil is a terrible long buy. That said, when I feel confident it is gonna jump hard, I will short something...

CCity Zero and Dr of Dunk like this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, I agree with that, but at least with most stocks you're buying something that's used for some purpose or tied to something tangible and is regulated somehow. Stocks crashed for a reason, oil crashed for a reason, BTC went up and crashed because... the pure gamble of it. It's even funnier when you watch all the alt coins that go up and down together for the most part when they're not even associated with one another and there's no real news. I still own a few alt coins for kicks just in case somebody decides to run these things up, btw. :D

thegary likes this.
  12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm looking to see how long the dividends on these things go... like for Chevron. If the price doesn't go up, no big deal as long as they can keep churning out a decent dividend. If the price goes up, then the dividends will come down, but ...the price went up. I'm not looking to triple my money in Chevron or Exxon. lol.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

If you do decide to try it - be careful and I'd suggest Coinbase for exchange. I was in it for a little while and I think CB at least seemed more real vs some of these random exchanges. 2nd set up a different bank account, I don't really trust any of them with my actual accounts. If you're considering this being like a long term hold take it off the exchange and get a hardware wallet. I just left mine on an exchange but more on that below...

I basically bought in some small amount of $500, not in BTC at first (it was like $18-20k, and I knew stock stuff so was watching everyone buy the top and really just not getting it.... ) but alt coins when they were hot during this time I got up to ~$2500 in first few days.. I then removed the $500 and a little extra - the remaining amount I knew was screw around money... Here's what it gained me - a crash course in pump n dumps/extra knowledge on charts. I'm definitely not the best chart guy and still getting better, but leaving with that knowledge was fun because everything was so manipulated it was worse than a small cap 10 cent stock. So... it allowed me to exit some daytrades closer to the max or know when to bail during Covid-19/chasing the news trend we've been seeing on the market.

But - with that said, there's no way I'd consider personally doing it again unless it was just BTC, there's a few alts still that could pan out, but I was literally playing trash and making money. I then moved to a random exchange to buy in with new hot garbage coin got up and down and then got stuck, it's there and in btc for the taking but I'm not willing to verify my info unless btc becomes worth some insane amount. So it'll probably remain there- like I said though I cashed out investment + some, so it was more just to play with the market and learn it.

I think a small amount for playing around is probably okay, but per my advice/suggestion above if I was gambling I'd rather just buy insane options, I'm a lot more likely to take 10k to 20k/100k there than btc, and l'm saying this even knowing the chance of making 10k - 100k off crazy random options is like playing the lotto. I mean I'm literally more confident throwing money into a random crop of companies than anything to do with btc as far as investing. Then again though I could be wrong, haha and btc is a million tomorrow, but I doubt it.

Sorry for the long run-on here, just be careful and don't invest any amount you don't feel comfortable with losing. And definitely follow my bank account advice.

14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I took call/put options on USO for trash play to retest this. I don't think it'll make me much but will probably be enough to cover me on bigger options I'm testing. USO was cheap play I got in $4 put / $4.50 call for $25 total for both (-I managed to low bid the put which is up), so I know at minimum I'm breaking even and most likely covering some of my other options. I feel it'll probably go sub 4 next week but we'll see.

I think oil might be better in companies as mentioned above, it'll definitely come back but it's going to be a long time.

I also bought cheap call far out on USO for value but I'd probably have been better off throwing money in call/put on Ford at this point, USO is just... I guess a sympathetic option, haha.

I like my GE/BAC move better for options lately... These were all just random value bets, so not more serious plays like the ones where my order didn't place this week like on Roku (like off by a damn dollar or so and didn't look at it again).. Blah that one hurts a little, or my discussion on Tesla, hahha

#9434 CCity Zero, Apr 17, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I honestly had to recheck the $18 price when I read it during trading hours, haha, like I figured it'd be bottomed but.... Yeah

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Reason on USO/GE/BAC were some interesting volume spikes on options/pr for ge/bac- meant to say that so it wasn't like random trash play, haha . I doubt I'll hold till contract ends but could be decent.

17. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I was lucky and got in with EROS just yesterday.

I've got my eyes on VIVE, GENE, and ZOM too.

18. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Is anyone else concerned Liabilities per Citizen is about to surpass Assets per Citizen?

Well that didn't work. If you go to USDebtClock.org you'll notice that Liabilities per Citizen is about to surpass Assets per Citizen. It's kinda like being underwater on a mortgage. When you owe more than your home is worth, why would you continue making payments on it? Can that happen with a country?

That's rhetorical, but it's an interesting thought.

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Very nice move. Are you still holding Eros? It looked great last time I checked, I unfortunately didn't get in. And typically won't enter if I missed unless I see an entry, I'm going to look at it Monday AM though.

20. adoo

adoo Member

on mon, msft was ~~ 164
    on fri, msft closed above 178, closing the mid-march gap.

did not sell the call. instead, rolled up the put spread to apr 24, 185/180, collected $3.2 premium​

CCity Zero likes this.