1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cloudng8, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

FF8 really aged well because it performed excellent on things you would remember over time (the music, the ambiance, how much trains and train stations were a part of the game, inventing the triple triad game which has since been copied in many formats) and performed exceedingly poorly on things that you tend to forget (the plot details, how awful Zell and Irvine were as characters). At the time I finished the game way back when I was determined to hate it, but since then the orchestral soundtrack has almost singlehandedly turned it completely around for me. It wouldn't be a crime if they went and remade that game after FF7, but I still think Xenogears is the one that really really should be attempted once again. It has a shot of being the best RPG of all time if done properly.

My FF rankings as of today are: FF6 >>> FF12 > FF7 > FF8 > FF10 > FF5 > FF9 > FF4 > FF15 > FF13. I don't ever want them to remake 6 (FF3 when I played it); it's perfect as is. I have heard good things about 14 but just have too much adulthood to contend with now to ever consider it. In college I lost a year of my life (61 days played aka 1464 hours) to FF11, and since then I will never touch another MMORPG until I am ready to call it quits on this planet.

Yung-T likes this.
  2. TheRedRanger

TheRedRanger Member

Is this worth buying? I heard that the game only covers 10-15% of the full game and is gonna be released in parts.

3. Outlier

Outlier Member

Its a full game. My money was worth this.

VanityHalfBlack and TheRedRanger like this.
  4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Try 13-2 if you hated the first one, maybe it will make you appreciate the trilogy more, it's also a great standalone.

14 is awesome, but you are forced to participate in raids&dungeons to advance the main story, I think it's over 40 of these raids now, which is extremely unfriendly to solo or time-constrained players. It's also the reason why I quit early out of frustration, SW Old Republic is one of the only MMOs that really respects solo players.

In FF 14 are slowly introducing the option to play these dungeons with NPC's, but so far it's only for the newest dlc.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It still stuns me that people like 8 when compared to FF 6-10.

Characters and story are what makes an RPG great. To say the 6 main characters are just bad is being generous. All the games have some characters that are lacking, but they didn't have a single one I liked. Frankly they didn't even try to develop them besides Squall (who everybody in the game swore was destined to lead for no reason) and Rinoa. And don't get me started on the junction/draw system. Any RPG in which it's better off to not level your characters is terrible game design. It's not a bad game, and it certainly looked great. But it is very much lacking when compared to the other 4.

As for FF7R, I'm loving it and taking my sweet time.

#45 sealclubber1016, Apr 15, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    Duncan McDonuts likes this.
  6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Totally a rip off since it's not the full game. It's broken into parts. I will wait. Plus the voice acting is cringe AF. The music is Top though. Also anyone else bothered that you're playing a game that glorifies ecoterrorists? This was lost on me when I played the original as a kid but now as an adult it's a pretty damn big deal to make the first mission a terrorist bombing. This was written pre-911 though so with more than 20 years past its debut the story looks completely different.

I played the demo and you no longer get to blow up the reactor. They show your bomb fail and Shinra blows it up. But still the intent is there. I feel like they are covering their ass a bit because of the whole... terrorists being bad thing?

7. Outlier

Outlier Member

Youre an idiot if you think this game is ripping you off. The game has so much content and quality. People are just blind to the fact that its 10% of the story of the original which they have EXPANDED upon. I dont see how they could have done this game any other way. Every hour that passes you can see the love put into this game. Yet you have these ignorant people as if the game is incomplete. The game feels complete and better than most games out there.

Aware and Junkyard_Dog like this.
  8. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Haven't played the game/demo yet, though I did go in-depth with spoilers just because. It doesn't seem like a rip-off. They are putting more content and higher fidelity into this project, so it seems like an acceptable trade-off to me. Skyrim isn't a ripoff because it isn't as big as Daggerfall.

Feel feel to criticize it for voice acting, story changes, combat/gameplay, etc. though.

(Not saying I feel negatively about those things as I haven't even played it, but they seem more legit than the incomplete complaints)

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

I've always wanted to get into final fantasy, but I've never played a second of the game nor seen the movie (there was a movie right?). what to do breh?

10. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Play it for Tifa.

Spacemoth and Yung-T like this.
  11. Jontro

Jontro Member

googled tifa, total fap. her and miranda (mass effect) would make a secksy couple.

Duncan McDonuts likes this.
  12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I get weird Michael Jackson vibes from Miranda, even though I love me some Yvonne Strahovski. But Tifa has always been my number one.

13. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I finished it last night. Thought the game was amazing enjoyed the changes for the ending. I like looking forward to the unknown. The combat was phenomenal. I honestly can’t believe this game exists and they put so much care into it. I already want to play through it again and try to get the platinum

14. Aware

Aware Member

it definitely is not a rip off. length was something that i was worried about but if anything i felt like some parts dragged on.
    besides the shitty textures, the combat was the worst for me. better than 15 but the camera and lock on are ****ing terrible.

im hopeful for the next one but also kinda scared lol
    we could be headed toward some real kingdom hearts ****

15. Outlier

Outlier Member

Combat was the best thing for me. Thats separate from the camera and lock on issues though. I agree with you there. I think it could be patched up with an update.

16. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I want to say there is an option to be able to use the right stick to control the camera in combat instead of it being used to cycle through enemies

17. VanityHalfBlack

I've never played FF or RPG, I've seen that one movie though that was released in the states a decade ago, fell asleep. Would I like this game?