1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone use Google Fi for cell service?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by aeroman10, Apr 13, 2020.

1. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

I have 2 lines on Verizon - their so called Unlimited plan that starts throttling after 22GB and this is shared.
    Thinking about switching to Google Fi Unlimited which is $60 per line and provides 22GB per person.
    My wife and I use Google PIxels

Was wondering if anyone else is using Google Fi and how the service is?
    I know it uses T-Mobile, Sprint and US Cellular + WiFi hotspots?
    This seems like pretty big coverage and cheaper than what I have now with Verizon.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

$60.00 a month is a lot for prepaid. My general opinion is TMobile and Sprints networks are significantly subpar. But like anything, go what works for you. If data reliability is not important for you, then it will probably work.

If you can get 5 people together, Verizon offers unlimited plans starting at $30 (20ish GB's per user before being subjected to throttling). Im on a $40 plan that grants me priority access, allows me to use all my data as a hotspot, and free apple music.

If costs are important to you, family plans are the way to go.

Xerobull likes this.
  3. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

My daughter has Google Fi but she also uses a Pixel 3 Android phone. She loves it. Google Fi originally required a Pixel phone but that is no longer the case. We've been on Straight Talk for the past 4 years and it's great. $45 per month per phone with unlimited text and 25GB data per phone. Plus you have a choice of using T-Mobile or AT&T networks. Check into Total Wireless, Mint and Cricket also.

4. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

Thanks. About this prepaid / postpaid thing. I don't see how Google Fi is different than my current Verizon plan in terms of that.
    Both are unlimited talk, text and data but Google Fi comes out cheaper + double data allowance before it gets throttled. My Verizon plan is like $20 per line right now but that is on top of the base charge which is like $110. I don't have a contract with Verizon. My only obligation is device payment if I am financing any.

5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Im actually on the phone at this moment to cancel my ATT plan to switch to ATTs prepaid plan.

$300 for the year if you pay up the total up front. Works out to be $25/month and is unlimited text/talk with 8gb of data.
    https://www.att.com/buy/wireless/prepaid/plans

6. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

love google fi!

i travel a lot and it works seamlessly. even in China, when my coworkers were pulling their hair out try to navigate the hodgepodge of blocked sites, i'm easy like Sunday morn. no configuring, no swapping sims, same telephone number.

they didn't have the $60 plan when i signed up. i'm still using the $20 base, penny per megabyte data with cost capped after 6 gigs. pretty flexible arrangement, no contracts! i hear the customer service is great but i've no first hand experience.

7. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

I'm using a pixel 3 with Google fi. It's great if you travel and I have had no problems with service in Houston. It is a bit pricey for a single phone, though.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

wife and I both use it. she has a Pixel 3a and I have an LG G7 bought from Google Fi store. we are low data users so our monthly phone bill is a combined $40ish.

it's a good plan for low users.

of course, google is hoarding all your data and no doubt records all your **** because that's what they do. but if it's worth the savings - it's good.

9. likestohypeguy

I had it for a few months. Customer service is great, you quickly get an english speaking agent without much automated system hassle. Mainly switched back because the bill for my usage worked out to be the same as much more data from AT&T. And the kind of buildings I go into where I have to get reception, building penetration isn't as good as with AT&T. On the phones I used anyway, and Fi defaults to t-mobile network in my area.

What I miss most, that i THINK was exclusive to Fi, is where your voice mails are automatically transcripted into texts. Might have been a phone switch when I lost that, but the texted vm's were right there in the phone app. Not having to download another app that doesn't do it as well... anyone know what I'm talking about? A Fi thing right?

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yes that is a Fi thing and yes it is awesome. Sounds like a meh benefit but it's actually great and I'd hate to lose it.

likestohypeguy likes this.