1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019-20 NBA Broadcasting Team Ranking (Rockets voted the worst)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HRox832, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly the Rockets broadcast group is the same as 80% of the league. The Knicks, Nets and Blazers are clearly better but that is it.

At this point I wish they would think outside the box. The broadcast team doesn’t have to be a corny, old white man with a former player sidekick that brings nothing to the table. That has been the formula for the entire league for 40 years.

How about finding someone that is 25 that is really smart and loves the game. It is okay to have a woman or minority play by play person and they don’t have to all be cookie cutter.

How about a color commentator that isn’t just a Hall of Famer but really sees the game from either a coaches perspective or a front office or officials perspective. There are a number of young people coaching in the d-league as assistants that know and can teach small parts of the game to the listener. Some of these guys would love to be a color guy.

Instead the viewer gets nothing... no discussion of simple plays the teams run or favor. No discussion of WHY teams are doing what they are doing. Instead we get Drexler or King not watching the game... or Wilkins or Johnson being bitter and complaining... hell the best former player guy is Frazier and that is because he isn’t an ******* and will occasionally throw in a statement about a strength in someone’s game... that’s it.

The broadcasting game in basketball is so played out... it isn’t the 1970’s anymore. People watching and listening need to hear why the Rockets have no issue with Harden guarding 4’s and 5’s... or why Paul had a rebound season... or why Lillard has improved as an offensive weapon.

Fans are more sophisticated.

#21 Nook, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  2. rockets13champs

Is this from last year? Bc the clippers have Noah Eagle. ( Ian Eagles son)

3. rockets13champs

Knicks obviously have the best Bc mike breen calls their games.

4. rockets13champs

I think awful announcer is the onion for sports

5. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

I hate the Warriors announcers the most.

pippendagimp likes this.
  6. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

I get tired of the "he's the best in the league at..." about 10 times a game.

7. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

I think Bill is great. He gets boomer cranky at times when certain players are struggling and openly criticizes them, which I like. Clyde, on the other hand, is just clueless and painful to hear. He will even call opponents average players future superstars who've been in the league for a while. Bullard seems like a genuine fan of the Rockets and I personally like his analysis.

8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Cayleigh gets an easy A.

CK Johnson likes this.
  9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I think they might be voted the worst because they constantly feel the need to point out and defend Harden's greatness since he gets so much hate.

In reality they are no worse than most teams.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  10. HRox832

HRox832 Member

It was probably just a little typo cause this article was posted 2 days ago

11. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Replace Clyde with JVG. Murph would be nice too

12. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

We need Calvin Murphy back

Scarface likes this.
  13. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

When I watch a Rockets game on NBA TV and it's being called by the other team's crew, they're almost always better than ours. More insight, less blather, way less homerism.

I'm rooting for the Rockets, so I take it as comedy. But if one of our players punched an opponent in the mouth, Bill and Clyde would call it a flop.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  14. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I've been saying this for years. Honestly the broadcast team is a full decade past being long in the tooth. At some point you would have thought they would have recognized that people 55+ aren't their biggest age demographic yet here we are. The most innovation I have seen from them is when they bring the MUCH younger guy on to read tweets which honestly is not all that progressive as social media goes - it screams what a boomer thinks a cutting edge technology looks like.

You are also right that this is a league wide problem - waaaayyyyy too much nepotism going on within how the teams choose to staff the various departments. Honestly the league kind of shields them from having to operate like a cut throat modern data driven business.

15. Newlin

Newlin Member

The Rockets have the most hated player in the league, and are the most hated team in the league.

So, it’s not surprising that the Rockets announcers would also be the most hated. Fans of opposing teams want the Rockets announcers to say that Harden travels every time he touches the ball. They want Rockets announcers to say that Harden flops, plays no defense, and is overrated.

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Our team is bad but its not worse than that ****ing awful excuse of one in Phoenix.

17. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Not sure why Portland's crew receives such glowing reviews. They are average, at best...by my calculations of averaging the two guys out.

Kevin Calabro is possibly one of the best play-by-play guys in the league. Keeps the game moving and in general, usually has interesting points thoughout his call.

Lamar Hurd...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. This guy adds nothing to the broadcast except to pile onto what positive thing Calabro says about the Blazers.

But...throw all of that out the window whenever the two get at odds on the air. They sound like an old couple passively fighting...and it's a bit awkward to hear them try to manage their way through the disagreement.

solid B rating (only because Hurd brings down the ranking)

I do really like Napear of Sacramento. I've always been entertained by him...and can appreciate his ability to keep things going while his team is a perennial dumpster fire.

18. Buck Turgidson

Sean Elliot is probably the single worst announcer in the league, but the Rockets crew - individually and as a whole - is bad. Really bad.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I wish JVG could be our color guy.

20. quaczar

quaczar Member

Our guys aren't great, but I don't mind the homerism from any broadcasting team. I feel like our broadcasters do a really good job at complimenting opposing teams and players.

I can't stand the amount of hate and salt that so many other broadcasters have though. Sean Elliot and those dweebs from Utah come to mind.