1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is a successful response for the Trump administration vs Coronavirus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by HROZ, Apr 7, 2020.

1. HROZ

HROZ Member

Trump has said that if he can keep the deaths from corona virus under 240,000 then he would consider it a success.

What do you consider a success in the fight against corona virus for the administration?

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I don't think success is a word that can be used at this point.

#2 bobrek, Apr 7, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  3. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Taking full responsibility for the situation, ending bidding wars among states for medical supplies, federal mandates of social distancing across all 50 states, nationalizing healthcare specifically for Covid-19, ending blame against healthcare workers who risk their lives pleading for medical supplies to minimize exposure to the virus but also the ability to treat patients better.

Removing family from political positions, offering healthcare workers in states not being impacted by this harshly yet to have free lodging in Trump hotels that are near communities impacted the hardest by epidemic and offer them substantial pay raises and benefits for traveling cross country to help their fellow Americans.

Real leadership. No blame. 100% accountability and stop peddling propaganda to my Trump supporter families that still think he's handling this crisis well while pushing a drug that may very well kill them.

Stop painting himself as the hero and the victim at the same time.

Voluntary self removal from being the POTUS would be best IMO. He could then play the victim and hero to his base and I wouldn't care anymore.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Go back in time and follow the advice of its own experts, at least the ones it didn't fire, back in January.

Anything less is an abject failure.

Can't wait till we get to the "are you better off than you were 4 years ago" question, with thousands dead and 20% unemployment.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Invention of a time machine

pirc1 and IBTL like this.
  6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

A Tardis.

7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Lol and we're done in one.
    Ibtl
    /thread

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

[​IMG]

10. bongman

bongman Member

If your'e driving while not paying attention when you hit a pedestrian, would you consider it successful if the patient came out alive but lost his/her inability to walk? This proposition only focuses on the latter and completely ignores the ROOT CAUSE that could have been prevented.

In everyday life, even if the victim came out uninjured, the driver would still be liable and responsible for any penalties.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Said this elsewhere -- to accept 240k currently modeled as the benchmark of success is to forgive 3 months of inaction.

I'd also say there is no grade for Trump or the Trump Admin. As much as Trump would like everything to be about him, this is really about all of us. Yeah, he has an outsized effect, but what Governors do, County Judges, legislatures, companies, citizens, etc they all matter too. The choices we made long ago of how to build our healthcare system and our economy matter.

My benchmark is in deaths per million inhabitants. Right now, basically all the Asian countries, even Iran, are doing better than us. Having dictatorships in many of these places, or suspicious reporting, or both helps. But we should be able to be better than average in a basket of westernized countries -- Canada, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Belgium, Switzerland, Japan, Australia, Israel, South Korea. These countries have civil rights to consider like we do, they have sophisticated and globalized economies like we do, they have financial resources to mobilize like we do (though not as much as we do), they'll try to report accurately like we would.

We've made mistakes and suffered from some poor leadership early, but other countries with good leaders may also fall victim to early mistakes. And I think we see that so far we're tracking alright with the competition. Japan, South Korea, Australia, and Canada are outperforming us, but we're roughly on par with Germany, France, Israel, and Switzerland. We're beating Spain, Belgium, UK, and Italy. It should be pointed out though that that set are so far the worst performers in the world on this metric. So beating those guys doesn't really make you a superstar. They get failing grades. Maybe we get a D for being marginally better?

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Sadly, had the stock market not tanked, Trump would probably still be minimalizing it.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Nice job on the fair post.

Bill Gates is optimistic there will be less than 100k deaths.

I would advise people not to celebrate prematurely on undercutting the projected death count results. Projections mostly stop after 2 months.

This means for Trump to be a "success", he has to consistently act like one at least for another 6 months.

Thots and players to him.

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Success lol, this fraud of a country and political system is leaking from every weld. Both sides can spare me the political success angles.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Ahhh...So glad we got the chance to both sides this debate. Thank you for your contribution as always ipa.

16. HROZ

HROZ Member

I definitely could've made this question more precise. Definitely made a mistake there.

I guess it's 2 questions.
    What would be considered a success from day 1?
    What would be considered a success from now?

I'm just curious as Americans how you view this (as an Australian who sees polls with your administration's approval ratings for the handling of the Coronavirus as still high)

This is probably a bad place to post this as I don't know the political persuasions of people here. But clutchfans is probably the only way I interact with Americans in my journal life.

I presume there are a fair amount of conservatives as a Texas team?

17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

yes this board used to be overrun by conservatives and what you would expect from a web forum in Texas.

Then September 11 happened, then wmds, the iraq war..it sorta weeded out everyone.
    It went from being staunch republican to all of them scurried off in shame. A few roaches left.

The republicans that remain are personas and shills with zero game.

I understand Australia to be quite right leaning so perhaps you can be their more centric voice as they have lost their way.

Welcome to the board
    Fwiw I don't blame trump for the virus I blame him putting more naive people at risk ( his own followers) and calling it a democratic hoax. He is a covidiot and contributed to any super spreading.

Also I think im getting cabin fever dr birx is starting to look hot to me

CometsWin likes this.
  18. WNBA

WNBA Member

Success = zero death and less than 100 cases.

Now it is a total failure.

19. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Success = oppossite of the Chinese Communist Parties response. Comparing it to that, he looks like a saint.

Astrodome likes this.
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I consider what New Zeland has done to mostly be a success so far.

They went to into complete lockdown the second they got their first community transfer case. They have been tracking every single case and contacting anybody and anywhere they have been in contact with since the start. Their government has been decisive, efficient, and undivided for the most part.

We can't say the same. To this day there is still not a federal mandate for quarantine and closure of business. Just some friendly "recommendations", we don't track our cases tightly, our testing has been a mess, and we have been overall divided, inefficient and indecisive as a country.

Now I understand, NZ is an island nation with only 5 million people. But if our country being large is always going to an excuse for why we suck then we should probably just give country status to all states and turn the USA into something similar to the EU.