1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

They fired the Captain in the time of Corona

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Apr 3, 2020.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I know the actual words... I paraphrased... maybe means unconfirmed. The word OR implies he may be stupid or may be naive. So my paraphrase is fine unless you want to get into exact quoting which I never did. I didn't use quotation marks so slow down there. The speaker fails to confirm that he is in fact calling him stupid. So yeah fake news headline is fake news. Typical sensationalism in the age of click bait. The new era of yellow journalism.

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

It has less to do with virtue and more to do with the fact that I don't care what ninnies like you think.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

My gosh modley has only found a way to make himself and the US Navy look even worse (after firing then criticizing the Captain to his former crew).

4. NewRoxFan

modley embarrassed himself and the Navy... And he should have apologized to the Captain and Navy.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Navy Sec. Modly handled this absolutely. To criticize Captain Crozier for allowing this controversy to become public did Modly think that relieving him of duty wouldn't go public? A smart administrator would've either handled this quietly or else turned Captain Crozier's pleas to an advantage. If the Navy had stepped up quickly to address the Captain's concern's this could've been a public relations victory.

Trump is now saying he's going to get involved and it wouldn't surprise me if he reinstates Captain Crozier or at least publicly commends him. This is one area where I can see him getting involved. He had little to do with it so he has deniability and for him to seem to come in and back Captain Crozier will play well to his base. It wouldn't surprise me if he goes as far as firing Modly.

joshuaao likes this.
  6. NewRoxFan

I'd be really surprised if trump did this. First, he already spoke on the subject...

And second, trump NEVER admits to mistakes or admits that he was wrong. About anything. Especially things that make him look bad. So I doubt he starts on this...

joshuaao likes this.
  7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL until now you don't realize that anything Trump does or doesn't generally plays well to his base?

8. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

too bad he murder a bunch of iraqi women and children like that psychopath eddie gallagher. trump would make him admiral of the navy!

AleksandarN, joshuaao and FrontRunner like this.
  9. NewRoxFan

Don't let the door hit you on the way out a-hole...

Acting secretary of the Navy has submitted his resignation after calling ousted aircraft carrier captain 'stupid'
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/07/politics/modly-resign-crozier-esper-trump/index.html

10. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I wonder how long it will take take now for Trump to do an 'about face,' deny he ever criticized Captain Crozier, and reinstate him.

pirc1 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  11. Newlin

Newlin Member

Trump has already basically flip flopped on this issue. Originally he criticized the Captain, but yesterday he had already reversed course and said he was going to get involved and that the Captain just had a bad day.

Trump is really bad at picking people for important positions. But, let’s face it. Most of the best people would never want to work for Trump.

No Worries and FrontRunner like this.
  12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

China, the media and Nancy Pelosi fired the captain, Trump did not!

Also, when I heard about the Acting Secretary of the Navy got on the intercom, the image that came to my head was:

[​IMG]

13. adoo

adoo Member

14. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm certain Trump will do something like reinstate Captain Crozier or issue him a commendation. He might not have liked that Captain Crozier contradicted his message but he also wants to keep on looking like he's got the military's back. He will blame things on Modly completely ignoring that he was the one who appointed Modly.

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

most things.

17. Newlin

Newlin Member

Trump said he had never met the Navy Secretary. It’s amazing how many people he says he’s never met. But, has met them.
    [​IMG]

FrontRunner and arkoe like this.
  18. bongman

bongman Member

Im confused, the above implies that he is good at something.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Isn't this a bigger security threat than some captain blasting a desperate email? Baby D finds the best of people!

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/07/thomas-modly-coronavirus-speech-resign-navy-172625
    An aircraft carrier sidelined by a coronavirus outbreak. A promising captain fired for requesting help as infections spread among his 5,000 sailors. And a service leaderless once more, after the acting Navy secretary resigned Tuesday following an uproar over a profanity-laced address to the ship’s crew.

The Navy has weathered its share of crises, and in the past few months saw the previous Navy secretary forced out over his handling of a war crimes case, and the man selected to be its top admiral instead retire due to an improper professional relationship with a former staffer who was accused of making unwanted sexual advances to several women.

Yet the resignation of acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly leaves the service lurching in the middle of a devastating pandemic that has roiled global markets, upended everyday life and left tens of thousands dead around the world.

It also projects the wrong image to America's enemies and allies, as a cascading series of leadership changes calls into question the stability of America's sea service.

“There is never a good time for a crisis in leadership, but having it in the middle of a pandemic is a particularly awful time,” said Ray Mabus, who served as Navy secretary under former President Barack Obama.

Lawmakers, national security experts and Navy veterans alike disavowed Modly’s extraordinary remarks to the crew of the aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt on Sunday.​

20. NewRoxFan