1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your solutions to the season

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by iNoseBleedRed, Apr 4, 2020.

?

Do you agree with OP's solution?

1. All

2. None

3. Most of it

4. Some of it

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

In this thread, you're all commissioners, and you post your solutions and reasoning as to how you address the Coronavirus situation. Feel free to react to solutions. Everyone with the exception of "What" is allowed to comment.

My solution is as follows:

1. You make it clear that this season WILL NOT be canceled under any circumstance. You don't want to abandon loyal fans and hard working players for records they works so hard to achieve.

2. The moment it is safe to resume (could be anywhere from 7-18 months), you continue the season EXACTLY where it stopped, with the same records.

3. You work on spacing the games further apart if necessary in order to get to playoffs at the date that you want to get there. You space the playoff series further apart if necessary, but keep the same number of games.

4. To make up for lost revenue, you hold a playoffs for lottery teams. Seeding obviously favors teams with higher records. Teams are playing for the consolation trophy and if they own their own pick, lottery pick seeding. (teams in soccer play for 3rd place, i.e. there is still motivation to play even if you know you're out of the playoffs and another team owns your picks)

5. This "consolation playoffs" will be great, since it could be the new norm. Teams will be dissuaded from tanking, and teams such as Minnesota, Orlando, Hawks, etc. will sell out their arenas, as fans will be excited to see their teams getting higher picks. Lottery team fans are super emotional and excited re: their picks. (see crying knicks kid)

6. The result of this system is that the winning team will have a much smaller asterisk next to their name, since they played the same number of games in the season and playoffs as former championship teams.

7. As far as the draft, there will not be one this summer. The next draft will be after the season as usual, but there will be twice as many draft picks, and each team will get one. The seeding in those picks will be determined by record for non-lottery and by consolation playoff results for lottery. The league will do everything legally possible to make sure that contracts that were set to expire this year, are extended to expire after the playoffs, whenever that may happen. If lawyers decide that's not possible, the league will do everything it can to incentivize the teams and player's association to agree to do so. It will ensure the rosters are similar when the season re-starts.

2. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

TL;DR voted none nonetheless

Ziggy likes this.
  3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I voted “none.” I think this entire season will be one big asterisk. A ghost ship moving silently though NBA history, powered by expectations unmet. Playoffs not played. I don’t think awards should be handed out for individual play, because that play was abruptly ended.

An example. Harden had a very long stretch of historic, transcendent play. He was in a terrible slump, either because it “happens to everyone at some point during a season,” or for other reasons not revealed. Does he get credit for how he played in the first half of the season, or is he judged by his play when the season ended, without the opportunity to return to form? One could come up with a host of similar examples in one form or another. A season without end.

I just don’t see a reasonable way to “make up” a disastrous ending to a very intriguing season, brought to an end by an earth shaking pandemic with a still unknown resolution. I just don’t. In my opinion.

jim1961, daywalker02 and JumpMan like this.
  4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

They should still do the draft as scheduled IMO. That's the only thing I can be certain about.

What about the players that want to come out? We can just take current records and do the lottery and go from there.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Gray_Jay and Deckard like this.
  6. BigBum

BigBum Member

consolidate 2 years nba draft picks into 1 year? A lot of talents.

You are helping GSW, Cavs, Knicks, .....

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Someone gets it!

;-)

daywalker02 likes this.
  8. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

We will all do our best to simplify things for you in the future, don’t worry.

9. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

For sure, but I see that as a way for them to get on board with finishing out the season. We get a chance at a ring, they get an extra bite at the draft. To appease better teams, the "new draft pick" draft will go first, so better teams' will get a free second rounder that is worth more than a traditional second rounder.

10. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

tbh the nba is the last thing on my mind right now..but thanks for the offer

11. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Then why are you here?

12. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

BBS Hangout is the bomb diggity yo

13. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

So NBA is the last thing on your mind, yet you consistently check the NBA BBS. That makes loads of sense, mate.

daywalker02 likes this.
  14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

it's cancelled

lotto will be determined by standings

It would be fun to see a 3 game series lakers v bucks on a neutral court with tons of testing once this calms down like in June, but that won't happen.

15. BigBum

BigBum Member

interesting, 16 playoffs teams pick the 2nd rounders first, possible 3 round picks.

This season wins and losses won’t be cancelled, will be carry the records .....

iNoseBleedRed likes this.
  16. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

#BeWell

17. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

yeah, everyone gives something and gets something. #Compromise

18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

The easy thing to say is asterisk and see you in october.

Fun would be single elimination and all teams given an equal chance.

Or end season with 16 playoff teams now and those that are in are in.

A tournament would be fun but single elimination is tough.
    Best 2 out of 3, or 3 of 5 might be something for first 3 rounds.
    The finals a regular 7 games series ending around 4th of july weekend.

Probably need a few prep games. Might get some blown hammys if go straight into playoffs.

Due to contracts,collective bargaining and revenue issues it probably won't happen and safe bet is see you in October

19. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Where I am. Start the playoffs now or within the next month. Seeding is as it was when play stopped.

Play in an empty arena if they have to. Very isolated anecdotes aside, COVID is a problem if you're older, overweight, or have another significant co-morbidity: none of which applies to NBA players. Though it would for their coaches. If they play, worst risk is likely to be a nasty week or two respiratory bug.

Ratings would be titanic. I mean, what else is there to watch besides Netflix? Fertitta would still probably have to sell, but it would be a strong point towards people getting back to normal. Or at least to work, for those who aren't in a vulnerable subclass.

20. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

wrongful death lawsuits by coaches would outweigh viewership profit