1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

yeah, go for it. I appreciate the formatting. The auto-formatting of twitter is easy on the eyes. I especially like to do that on twitter when I've made a bball clip and want to share in the GARM. Upload to twitter, and a caption, and post in GARM.

But you'll always get the ppl who think you're using a vid upload site like Twitter to gain social networking followers. "Why are you quoting yourself?" <sigh>

What's also fun is to start a Thread in the GARM. Create a Tweet that links to the Thread (a cfnet logo and thread title link will expand in the tweet), then post that as the content of the GARM thread ... creating an infinite loop, breaking the internet. :D (could you imagine Woj coming into cfnet and doing that once, just to fkkk with the internet, on a slow day.)

#5661 heypartner, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    Houstunna and daywalker02 like this.
  2. heypartner

little humor for this thread, courtesy of Clutch

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

It doesn't always show up immediately. Chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine damage your retinal cells. It can result in central blindness years after stopping it. That doesn't mean it'll happen to everyone, especially for acute dosing like now, but prescribing it without discretion will cause some to lose their vision.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The only reason the percentage is going down is because of more testing. As I've said more than several times in this thread, the only statistically significant numbers are hospitalization and deaths. The fact that New York had first significant down day in death count is something to be slightly optimistic about.

Pringles and Yung-T like this.
  5. heypartner

nah...that’s not what those growth rate numbers are.

those numbers are looking for the Apex of the curve ... in “flatten the curve” graphics.

His stats are the % increase of new deaths from one day to the next...where 100% means the number of new deaths from one day to the next doubled...and 0% means one day had the same number of deaths as the next day. And -100% means the deaths dropped to 0 in one day.

#5665 heypartner, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

somebody lined that out before it happens

daywalker02 and RustyHarden like this.
  7. heypartner

I got a brain freeze trying to make sense of that sentence.

B-Bob and RustyHarden like this.
  8. Major

Major Member

Even the death statistics are problematic. Here's the World-O-Meters note from today:

An estimated additional 180 - 195 deaths per day occurring at home in New York City due to COVID-19 are not being counted in the official figures. "Early on in this crisis we were able to swab people who died at home, and thus got a coronavirus reading. But those days are long gone. We simply don't have the testing capacity for the large numbers dying at home. Now only those few who had a test confirmation *before* dying are marked as victims of coronavirus on their death certificate. This almost certainly means we are undercounting the total number of victims of this pandemic," said Mark Levine, Chair of New York City Council health committee [source]

Nook, Ziggy and No Worries like this.
  9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

New hospitalizations in NY peaked on 4/3 at 2879. Over the past week the numbers have been 2183 -> 2464 -> 2449 -> 2879 -> 2687 -> 1709 -> 2111 today.

Pringles likes this.
  10. omgTHEpotential

Only 3,600 new confirmed cases in Italy yesterday and the number keeps getting lower every day. Soon the number of daily recoveries will catch up to the daily confirmed cases. I know there's probably a bunch of mild/asymptomatic cases that aren't confirmed, but still. Very motivating news to just hold out a little longer.

#5670 omgTHEpotential, Apr 7, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    B-Bob, Hakeemtheking and Jontro like this.
  11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Yea, once you’re intubated from my experience (and most people would agree) it doesn’t end well. ARDS is nasty and with corona it’s to a degree we haven’t really seen before

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

https://www.propublica.org/article/...-to-beat-coronavirus?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Tl;dr- you’re most infectious before onset of symptoms.

My guess from reading how it works is it hides from your immune system until your immune system finally notices. When it does, it burns the whole house down to prevent future virus factories. That’s the permanent scarring from sars patients.

So either your immune catches it early or it’s the lumbering orange blobby and slow kind. Or maybe your immune system doesn’t go biblical and completely destroy any and all infected cells. it really depends on the person...

Even a half working vaccine would do a lot of difference right now.

Houstunna, Rashmon and Hakeemtheking like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Continuation of the Westbrook but no immediate future picks storyline.

We'll have a vaccine or two by 2026.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The governments could use big data, creating tracking profiles to track down those infected, but it would cut into privacy and data protection.

This has been a hot agenda among the Euro countries.

15. likestohypeguy

Hopefully not because they're not all identified, or some not even making it to the hospital in the first place (see @Major post above yours, about so many dying at home they can't even test).

Like when ants wait until they're all on board to give the order.

#5675 likestohypeguy, Apr 7, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I've expected this, though it is a lot better than testing info.

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yes, definitely, and that's in the research briefing I shared above. It's pretty amazing to the virologists, but they have the data now. Just picture a plot of viral load (on y) versus time (on x). It's just like a line going downward steadily (negative slope).

By the time people get hospitalized, usually in week #2 after infection, the virus is well on its way down, and patients are mainly left dealing with all the inflammation and immune response. It's crazy how much virus they shed before they become symptomatic. :eek::(

Invisible Fan and RayRay10 like this.
  19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Good lord, with apologies, I posted the wrong link. I mean, the one I posted is fine, but this is the one on the basic virus science that I promised. Sorry. (I got confused about which link from Mrs. B-Bob was the one we watched.)

20. heypartner

what do you mean by "already been closed"? sounds like "already been ruled out"???

and thx for the vid...glad I waited to watch, for the correct one
    ...will watch soon.