1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pandemic Work from Home Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SamFisher, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Buck Turgidson

Keep yall's kids busy:

[​IMG]

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

@SamFisher

How much do you pay out for running 3 laps?

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It's a mindset. The same reason why I can never exercise at home and always have a gym membership.

peleincubus likes this.
  4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Try this with a green shirt on.

5. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

The other difficult thing for people who are generally in an office and now at home. I don't think the whole "I can get my work done when I want, leave when I want" applies. I have regular meetings daily and check ins all the time. We're doing our normal meetings like when we were in the office and I have people reporting to me always asking me questions.

If you have a job where you can just pound away at it and deliver things on time, that's a great WFH job. But how do you handle people sending you things all the time that aren't in the normal scope?

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I spent most of the day last Monday making sure everyone in my office was absolutely prepared to work from home. We were already pretty well taken care of in that regard, but that day was addressing any loose ends. I feel like we got way ahead of it, honestly. It's not as efficient as being at my office, honestly. Having to do meetings by phone...zero business development meetings / happy hours/ lunches, obviously. It's different. I don't love it. But it's manageable for a while. I feel super lucky in that regard.

7. ima_drummer2k

I have my Outlook set up so that no one can see the names of the meetings on my calendar - they can only see that I have a meeting.

So today, when I wanted to go on a walk with the family, I sent myself a meeting from 1 to 2. So if anyone tried to contact me, they just assumed I was on another call. We use Lync and that's connected to our Outlook calendars....so my little dot was red!

Seriously, you have to be able to take an hour here and there or you'll go insane. Unless you're an ER surgeon, no one is going to die if they can't reach you for an hour.

davidio840 likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

How many turduckens did you buy?

MadMax likes this.
  9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

So....I just want it to be known that I hate working from home (WFH). I need to walk the halls, see people in person, talk, interact, bs, et all. Managing folks while WFH sucks to as I can't see their reaction or hear inflection while we are IM'ing...

I have 3 monitors and my surface so my set up is sweet. But, I eat too damn much, the kitchen is so easily accessible, and so is my bed...The isolation is the worst, so I'm sure I'm calling my staff way too much just to hear their voice lol

davidio840, MadMax, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That money is worth more than USD.

Bandwagoner and B-Bob like this.
  12. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Totally agree. Managing my team from afar has been difficult. Zoom and Teams/Skype for Business is not a replacement for “Lumbergh-style” management by walking around (which I like to do).

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We actually did something similar like a year ago with screen time instead of snacks. Kids have chores they do every day. Each chore earns a ticket. Each ticket is good for 20 minutes of screen time, with no more than 6 tickets redeemable in a day. It's been maybe the best parenting idea we've ever had.

davidio840 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  14. Exiled

Exiled Member

brought a small indoor basketball rim ,ran over the kids like Shaq,shoved them like Giannes , they told me running and Dunkin needs no skill when you're 6ft tall , they are learning now how to have real skills, glad they can stem their energy out , highly recommend

BigShasta, DoitDickau and B-Bob like this.
  15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

your new avatar is making my otherwise pathetic day.

Exiled and heypartner like this.
  16. ima_drummer2k

Yeah, I hear this a lot. Oddly, it's having the opposite effect on me. I've been so busy this week that I'm actually forgetting to eat lunch and don't really have time to snack. Sometimes my first full meal of the day doesn't come until around 6pm.

I've lost 40 pounds since September due to turning 50 and deciding to eat healthy....but I've probably lost another 5 over the last 2 weeks because I am literally forgetting to eat.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Not as much as I'm paying now that I just bought an electric pencil sharpener.

Only 189 pencils to go.

B-Bob likes this.
  18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

mostly just stuffed deboned chickens and other stuff

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Uh...a deboned stuffed chicken is 1/3 of the way to a turducken.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

But whatever, that's so awesome you went to Hebert's, I miss that place.

MadMax likes this.
  20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member