1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NEXT GEN Gaming Console, PS5 and Xbox Series X news/upates

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by noize, Mar 17, 2020.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

The year 2030 is where it's at. PS6 bro

Yung-T likes this.
  2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

After the Xbox One's disastrous launch, it appears Microsoft is doing everything they can to avoid another one of those. Good to see as an Xbox guy.

Yung-T, ThatBoyNick and Blatz like this.
  3. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Stable 60FPS for all games will probably never happen, no matter what the hardware is (unless everything is VR...but then you probably want 90FPS or 120FPS I think)?. Devs will always end up pushing a few more things on screen vs reducing fidelity to hit 60FPS. Not for all games, but probably most.

4K is getting there, though yeah both consoles might be at that edge of being able to fully support it. XSX probably can do it with their beefy GPU (easily?), PS5 might have a harder time. Honestly though, I'm personally OK with dynamic rendering or other rendering tricks that lighten the GPU load. I think those GPU transistors could be better served doing other things vs pushing 4K pixels IMO. Add more raytracing logic, support higher frequencies on the chip (good all around), etc.

It is still targeting a "holiday" release, so October/November/December timeline (probably more like November/December). XSX is targeting the same IIRC, and as far as I know, both are still planning to hit those dates despite the COVID-19 stuff making things difficult. Don't think pre orders were planned to start this month. Maybe that would happen in late summer/early fall, though that's just me speculating.

People have been speculating about the pricing for both, but I'm not sure armchair analysts like myself will actually be all that accurate with our ranges. The one thing we might be fairly certain about is that XSX might cost a bit more since it definitely seems to have better hardware (though maybe PS5's SSD stuff is pretty expensive). I'd like to think a $400-$500 target for both, but hard to say for sure. Ultimately depends on how willing each company might be in eating costs. The SSDs are probably pretty expensive right now, but they'll probably drop in costs quite a bit over time (relative to HDDs and other components).

Blatz likes this.
  4. MystikArkitect

I don't think a console's success has ever depended on a game more than XBox on Halo Infinite.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  5. RC Cola

I'm sure Halo will help out XSX a bunch, but I'm actually glad they're diversifying their 1st party lineup. That will help out a lot more than Halo IMO. If it was just a "Halo Box," it would have a ceiling of maybe 10M-15M units (plus more with the potential multi-platform advantage I guess), but offering games from Obsidian, Ninja Theory, Rare, Double Fine, Turn 10, etc., will push that ceiling way up. Phil Spencer is doing a great job in that area (and in fact, most areas Xbox-related IMO).

Blatz likes this.
  6. noize

noize Contributing Member

I think RC Cola is correct to assume that we probably would never get a consistent 60fps for 4K res, which is unfortunate. A lot of western developers cares more about high texture details and special effects locked in @ 30fps for 4K res, rightfully so, to show off their games in a flashy matter. This reflect a business decision to increase sales.

For me personally, its hard to go back and play a 30fps game after playing 60fps. The smoothness and fluidity of 60fps improves not only the accuracy and precision of the gamely, but it also feels more immersive and realistic to me. I have the PS4 Pro and I was playing TLOU Remastered, switching between 2160p/30fps and 1800p/60fps. The difference is astonishing in favor of 60fps. The textures/shadow degrading is minimal to my eyes and you won't see the difference unless you go up close to the TV screen and picking out certain sharpness artifacts.

But there is hope, as long as the developers keep giving us the option to play in 60fps at a lesser resolution (As most games updated to the PRO did), then I will be pretty satisfied. I was playing the demo of Resident Evil 3 Remake the other day, and I was blown away by its graphic quality, both in motion and aesthetically. A locked 60fps with a resolution of 2880x1620. Its not quite 4K on the PRO, but it is native 4K on the One X. There was also a demo of Gears 5 played on the new Series X circulating on Youtube that looked phenomenal. It was locked in at 60fps, 4K with improved graphical details. This should be the norm on the next gen console, if the developer decide to go this route. At the very least, you can have a great balance between fps and resolution so you're not sacrificing too much of either.

#26 noize, Mar 23, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    RC Cola likes this.
  7. noize

noize Contributing Member

8. RC Cola

One problem with achieving 60 FPS is that it isn't always due to the GPU and higher resolutions. Resolution (and some GPU effects) can always be solved by throwing more GPU power at something, so it can be pretty easy to improve. Framerate *could* be limited by GPU, but it could also be limited by something on the CPU, I/O, servers, etc. A 4K 30 FPS game on XSX might still be 30 FPS at 1080p. For reference, Star Citizen sorta has this problem, though it was more pronounced 1-2 years ago. You could run the game at 4K or 900p, but it would still be limited to 30 FPS or less due to some other issues.

Having said all that, these systems are really well designed, and I think most well-designed games might be able to give that 1080p/60fps or 4K/30fps option (or dynamic rendering @ 60 FPS). I'm more OK with 30 FPS than many hardcore gamers, but honestly, I think I'd take dynamic rendering @ 60 FPS than always keeping resolution at 4K (assuming that is an option).

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I've always been a Playstation guy since the original. I've never considered another console, and I've never regretted it.

Never cared about graphics. People make far, far too much out of minimal superiority in this age of graphical plateau. The backwards compatibility, first party titles, and storage size were my biggest concerns. Playstation always has extremely strong first party games, so I'm not worried about that.

But the storage and backward compatibility are major disappointments. I still have my original PS4, and I was strongly considering a day one purchase, which I've never done before. But with this announcement, I'm probably gonna hold off. I was hoping for full lifetime playstation compatibility, and instead we barely got "most PS4 games". X-Box continues to whip Sony's ass in that regard.

Drexlerfan22 likes this.
  10. Outlier

Outlier Member

What ps4 games were you looking to play? Why buy next gen when youre still gonna play ps4 games? Why not just keep the ps4 hooked up?

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I wasn't, I was hoping it played PS1-PS3 games. Being a PS4 was my minimum expectation and they didn't even meet that.

As is, there's no reason for a day one purchase. If it were a perfect transition from my PS4 combined with a PS5, it would have at least given me some incentive to buy early. I'm almost certainly gonna get one eventually once support for the PS4 starts to wind down, but I was hoping for more.

Drexlerfan22 likes this.
  12. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Like you I 1) hoped for backwards compatibility beyond PS4, 2) expected at least 100% PS4 compatibility, 3) got less than my expectation. While I'll be interested to see just which titles aren't supported, hearing "most" is a definite disappointment.

Backwards compatibility is huge for me. I still play old stuff sometimes and holding on to so many systems is shitty. Particularly knowing that playing an old game on a newer system would likely feature some enhancements like texture smoothing etc. And like with PS1/2 games on PS3, virtualized memory cards. They could probably do save states too if they cared, but they don't.

13. RC Cola

I'm thinking PS4 compatibility should be pretty strong. They screwed up with the initial messaging, but with their clarifications, I'm thinking it will basically play all PS4 games, except for a few randoms ones. That would put it on par with BC from previous generations I think (very hard to get 100% BC).

PS3 BC is likely something they don't want to deal with for a long time. I haven't paid attention to how those PC emulators function, but I'm guessing Sony wants us all to forget the PS3 (except when it comes to PS Now or whatever).

PS1/PS2 BC similar to what PS4 did (ala re-releases on PSN I think) seems doable. I would expect PS1/PS2 games you bought on the store *should* work on PS5. They *should* have their emulator work whenever you just put in a PS1/PS2 disc, but I'm getting the impression they don't want to support that.

I could be way off, but I'm going off of what makes sense vs their public statements since it seems they can't get their public statements correct. PS5's PR team is inferior to the PS4's (and XSX's) PR team, that's for sure. Not a good sign, but hopefully it is just limited to confusing messaging and nothing more.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I haven’t gotten that halo high since CE. They keep ****inth it up

15. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Which definitely pisses me off. I mean I could run any PS1/2 game in a PC emulator, so why won't they just make it easy? I doubt PS1/2 games are huge money-makers anymore.

16. RC Cola

I actually took a glance at the BC for original Xbox games on Xbox One (and presumably XSX), and I didn't realize it was only 39 games (including 0 Halo games). Well that's much better than 0, but maybe that shows both companies are a bit hesitant to just open things up for all games from older platforms. I saw some quote attributed to Phil Spencer about how licensing agreements also complicate things (alongside technical/security issues I guess), so maybe that's an issue too. Even if they could just throw in a generic emulator that lets you play any PS1/PS2 (or original Xbox) game, maybe they're worried about licensing issues. No idea if that's actually how the legal stuff works, but I guess that makes more sense than being too lazy to just throw in ePSXe or whatever.

This does remind me that Sony hasn't yet (to my knowledge?) announced support for anything like Smart Delivery (i.e., if you buy a game for Xbox One, you also get it for free on XSX). When MS announced it, I assumed it was a no-brainer for both platforms, but given how much Sony has lagged behind, maybe it isn't.

17. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Without going back and actually looking for it this is what I remember the explanation being on why some games were available for backwards compatibility on Xbox One and others weren't when they originally announced the ability. Had to do with licensing / the studios.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I tell yall what I don't and never have cared about that yall seem be excited for. Backwards compatibility.

Outlier, Blatz and ThatBoyNick like this.
  19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yeah I’d be much more interested in remastering games. 360/ps3 graphics are too **** for me to enjoy. Get me a GTA 4 and falllout 3 remastered and I’ll blow a load, but playing the old versions is pretty hard for me to enjoy.

I really hope they do a remastered red dead 2 like they did for GTA 5. Imagine a red dead 2 remastered with a red dead 1 remastered DLC. :eek:

Ziggy likes this.
  20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Any of yall fine gentleman know where I can find a good-to-great bluetooth headset for PS4 during these times of Covid-19 uncertainty delivered by Friday morning? Should I brave Target? Amazon has delays for non-essential items.