1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. likestohypeguy

WHere is the press conference, was supposed to be 9:30am?

2. malakas

malakas Member

Yes it does, especially NOW.
    Most are already practising social distancing and self isolation so the most common form of transmission is through touching you eyes, nose and mouth with dirty hands.
    The best way to avoid it is by wearing a mask, besides of course washing hands.

You will not have anyone coughing on your face.

There are Chinese and South Korean studies that have proven that this offers 5 times more protection than wearing nothing.

Btw they found as expected that the way of transmission ( => viral load) as with other viruses has a direct corelation on how sick you get.
    If you get it through touch you are likely to have much milder symptoms.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Judge on now.

Joe Joe likes this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Told you, not happening today. It's smart too. You don't announce it in the morning because people WILL panic. My guess is tomorrow night

marky :) and MadMax like this.
  5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm afraid delaying the inevitable is only going to make this whole thing last longer.

Houstunna, Nook, Mazulis and 2 others like this.
  6. malakas

malakas Member

Judging by what happened in other countries the best time is to announce it in the evening.
    Otherwise there WILL be many idiots who want to "enjoy their last day of freedom".

They will go for picnics, have parties, birthday parties etc.
    Or even worse, escape by all means to their countryhouses.

7. MSBRockets

MSBRockets Member

I disagree that delaying this is a smart move. Minutes before the press conference it was announced that all civil courts are now working remotely, including Judge Hidalgo's court.

There are too many businesses in Houston that are continuing to require that employees go to work, and these businesses will do so until there is a shelter-in-place put in. Regardless of what the test results show, this is putting our health and safety at risk. Doctors and health related professionals are already blasting the major saying that they are running out of resources and the delay is going to be felt exponentially.

Houston is the 4th largest city in America. The top 3 have already all put a shelter in place. What "panic" are they attempting to avoid? If this is going to happen, which it needs to, do it now.

#3867 MSBRockets, Mar 23, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    Ziggy likes this.
  8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

What I took from that.

Shelter in place announcement this evening.

They are in process of determining who will be deemed essential businesses.

That was a pointless announcement. It made her look pedestrian.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

This county panicked without any orders a week ago. You living under a rock? Announcing any stay at home order in the morning while people can raid grocery stores for no reason is stupid. She'll do it after stores close at 8pm. That's the smart thing to do.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

Did you just skip the part about testing availability? That's the meat of this presser but you want to make it political...ok

11. MSBRockets

MSBRockets Member

If you're arguing that doing it during the day is a bad move, why not do it last night? This delay is irresponsible.

12. malakas

malakas Member

I posted this in the other thread too, risky population - especially those who can't fully isolate- may want to go buy an oximeter. It is not expensive.
    but for us younger better leave it for those who will need it more.

With an oximeter they can check their oxygen levels and determine quicker when it is time to call an ambulance.

Houstunna and Yung-T like this.
  13. REEKO_HTOWN

you realize she's about to shut down the 4th largest city in the county right? You think she's just going to do it without the cooperation of surrounding counties? What good is it to make an order when Brazoria, Fortbend other counties don't feel the same way? It will happen as a group effort.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Why is this even worse? Country houses sound like nice places to be quarantined and to avoid people.

15. malakas

malakas Member

It is the worst for both them and their neighbours.
    Countryside hospitals and clinics will not have the necessary equipment, beds or doctors to treat you or those you will infect in the following days.

At this point everyone who has been going around is a potential carrier. Do you want to kill others and yourself?
    Big cities have much better facilities.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

You have to understand your audience. Nobody tuned in to find out about medical equipment. The expectation is that the county already to has enough medical equipment to handle this virus. It’s been in the US for almost a month now. Saying she looks pedestrian here isn’t political. It’s what she looked like.

There’s a rule in life when you engage someone in a service position. Every time you call, understand the motivating factor and provide something of value. She failed to do both. It just wasn’t a good look compared to other cities who have looked much more decisive.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This is true of ever county and municipality that has made this decision already.

MSBRockets likes this.
  18. MSBRockets

MSBRockets Member

Yes I realize multiple people/counties are involved, as is true in all the other large cities that are ahead on this. The fact we haven't simply supports the argument that we are behind the curve. An order to shelter in place is best for the safety of the people of this city. It sounds like we are in agreement on that. Get it done.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

Yes, I to want to see it done but timing is important here. We have Hospital workers and seniors who need to go to grocery stores right now. Announce at night to avoid a panic.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

a regular mask doesn't significantly stop these particles. if someone coughed in your face and they have covid-19 the chances of you getting it is still dramatically high