1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If I don't survive this, can someone let my wife know I finally got something right?

malakas, ico4498, CCity Zero and 4 others like this.
  2. MadMax

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Bruhhh... they shouldn't be crowding like this with minimal ppe protection.

4. MadMax

daywalker02 likes this.
  5. malakas

malakas Member

Uk:
    The report also provides the first in-depth profile of those who have needed intensive care. Most (139) were male, 71% of all cases; the median age was 64 although 37% were under 60; only 18 patients had “severe co-morbidities”, such as underlying heart conditions or lung disease; while 63% were overweight, obese or morbidly obese. Two patients had been pregnant within the last six weeks.

Exactly like France where 50% of the patients in ICU are less than 60 year old.

6. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

daywalker02, MadMax and malakas like this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

Same to you man. Yea I do.

8. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

[​IMG]

likestohypeguy likes this.
  9. MadMax

CCity Zero, R0ckets03 and RKREBORN like this.
  10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

When does Coronavirus burnout start? I'm already sick of following it. I know it's important but it's exhausting.

Damn Dallas county judge on TV telling everyone they can only buy up to 12 rolls of toilet paper at a time because of hoarding. People need to quit hoarding toilet paper. Your ass doesn't leak that much.

daywalker02 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  11. likestohypeguy

NM i do not look much like jude law, was just that angle or something.

12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

You can buy it there without a prescription? Chloroquine is highly toxic.

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

If alcohol/sanitizer kills the virus, why masks and clothing be sterilized after use?

Seems all garments could heated too since heat kills the virus.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Since Clutchfans skews mostly male:
    https://abcnews.go.com/Health/covid-19-mortality-high-men-italy-women/story?id=69717021
    COVID-19 mortality twice as high for men in Italy as women
    What we know so far about COVID-19's gender divide.

Coronavirus mortality rate is twice as high among men in Italy as it is among women, marking a "concerning trend," Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House's coronavirus task force coordinator said during a Friday briefing.

"Mortality in males seems to be [twice higher than] every age group of females," Birx said, adding that no age group or gender is immune, and that mild symptoms are not equivalent to immunity.

According to Italy's public health research agency, 60% of coronavirus cases and 70% of deaths in the country so far have been in men.

In China, men were similarly more likely to die of coronavirus than women, although the disparity there was less stark. Sixty-four percent of deaths in China have been in men, according to recent figures from China's Center for Disease Control.

"While we do not know the causes of increased mortality in men, we do know that being male, much like being older, is a risk factor for more severe outcomes from COVID-19," a professor of molecular microbiology and immunology at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health said to ABC News.

It's notable, she added, that the trend holds true across two countries with distinct social and cultural norms.

"What should we do with this information?," Klein asked. "Men should be aware and maybe ensure they are being vigilant with hand-washing, social distancing, and taking any and all measures to avoid infection."

Why are men more likely to die from COVID-19?

At this point in time, most theories about why the virus might be hitting men harder than women are speculative, stressed Dr. Carlos del Rio, an infectious diseases expert and chair of the global health department at Emory University.

In many countries, and especially in China, men are more likely to smoke than women, which is a risk factor for developing more severe forms of COVID-19.

There may also be biological differences at play.

"Females generally having greater or more robust immune responses than males," Klein noted, although she cautioned that whether this is true for COVID-19 still needs to be proven.

Del Rio seemed to agree. "Women do a lot better with other diseases than men do," he said.

malakas likes this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's difficult to sanitize fabric after it's been used because microbes could hide deep in the fibers. Also sanitization methods could damage the fibers so things like masks get more porous and less effective.

It's still not clear that heat kills the virus. There have been cases in Thailand, Singapore, and Indonesia which are not known for their cool weather.

Hakeemtheking and Houstunna like this.
  16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If true I might change my identy to women.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

A question for my parents: they have found every grocery store they've been to in Houston to have mostly bare shelves. Does anyone recommend a less populated, better stocked grocery store they can try to hit? From what I've seen none of the good grocery stores (H-E-B, Krogers, Walmart/Target) actually have morning hours for elderly people only. It's very disheartening because there's so much less coronavirus there than here in Seattle, yet our grocery stores are quite well stocked indeed.

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

My mom goes to food town. I think it’s over on 59/beltway. First hour or so is for Seniors. She goes when it opens and usually it’s just her or a couple other people. Bought me some chicken this morning. Seniors are going to be the new hook up for toilet paper and chicken. Like your older brother for alcohol.

19. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Makes sense regarding the cleaning of fabric.

Regarding heat, temperatures in those countries are 80-90 degrees. I'm thinking use heaters and get a room hot as a sauna (150 degrees).

It's also reported the virus doesn't last long on porous surfaces. Let the garments sit for a while.

20. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Women are typically more healthy than men.

Guys are more likely to smoke, drink, eat worse, etc.