1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NEXT GEN Gaming Console, PS5 and Xbox Series X news/upates

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by noize, Mar 17, 2020.

1. noize

noize Contributing Member

This past Monday, Microsoft had finally release the full specs of their anticipated next generation console the Xbox Series X.
    https://www.polygon.com/xbox-scarlett/2020/3/16/21181376/xbox-series-x-full-specs-12-teraflops

Mean while, Sony will reveal the full spec of their next gen system the PS5 tomorrow(3/18/2020).

Release date for both system is expected to be around the Holiday time of this year. Prices have not been released yet for either system but is expected to be between $499-$600.

What is everyone’s thoughts and opinions?

Will you be getting one (or both) at launch, or staying put with the current consoles?

My concern is the internal storage. Right now, we’re barely able to squeeze a few games into a 1TB storage without the need for external. I’m assuming the next generation of games will be twice as large. How are we going to fit in a few games into a 1 or 2TB HDD? What format (physical disc) will they be on? Current games are barely fitting on blu-ray disc and having multiple disc would be an inconvenience and a waste of money. Is it possible we will see game streaming/remote play to eliminate any storage issues?

Yung-T likes this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am interested to see where people stand
    I am thinking of getting a system in the near future

I generally only play things like Madden . . . or simple games like that

I maybe just need an old fashion game boy

Rocket River

3. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

There are steam games that cost $0.33 on specials that very enjoyable.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll buy when Elder Scrolls drops. Until then, Nintendo Switch has my heart.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Cool!

I will stick with PC

CCity Zero likes this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Streaming services like stadia might be a year or five away but that's technically this next generation of consoles.

Playing console streams off your iPad would be a trip but I don't think a Japanese company has the tech know how to be the first to pull it off

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

You can already use external storages for current gen consoles, for example up til 8TB for PS4.

CCity Zero likes this.
  8. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I'll stick with the PS4 for a little while, but will probably eventually grab the PS5 a year or two after its release.

Jayzers_100 and Clutch City1993 like this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'll be getting PS5 immediately. Don't know what games will be on it. Probably none that are good.

tinman likes this.
  10. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

I agree. My ps4 pro and xbx 1 x will provide plenty of entertainment. Plus. Pretty sure those guys will put out modifed versions down the line.

11. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Whether I get either immediately depends mostly on 1) how much they enhance performance of existing games, 2) what the built-in internal storage looks like.

I have a 2TB drive in my PS4 and it's near capacity, and it would just be annoying to shuffle things around all the time. I'm hoping the price of the systems is on the higher side with large storage, instead of low storage and low price. Or that they offer an optional higher-capacity SKU.

There are plenty of games that are well below the capacity of even dual-layer blu-rays, let alone triple-layer. I don't think there should be a problem on that front. I also read at one point that if SSD was going to be a console standard going forward (which seems to be the case), that might help offset the larger texture sizes a bit, because currently they write frequently-used portions of game code many, many times onto traditional spinning drives to decrease load times, which is unnecessary on an SSD. It'll be interesting to see the practical effect of that.

As far as game streaming / remote play, I mean that's already kinda been a thing in limited capacity. I don't think discs will go away until data caps are gone, or internet starts being treated like the utility it is.

Jontro likes this.
  12. Drexlerfan22

Hm, okay. Was just watching the PS5 presentation, mostly waiting on info on storage size. Sounds like the internal drive will be around 800GB, which is... not great. For myself, I would need to shuffle things around more than I'm used to.

However, they apparently include a separate expansion bay to plug in your own third-party m.2 SSD. So that is great news. But we also need to wait for them to test and approve what drives will be compatible, because 1) they won't work correctly if they aren't at least as fast as the primary PS5 SSD, and 2) m.2 drives don't have a standard size like SATA drives do, and they need to fit in the allotted space.

I definitely see myself grabbing a PS5 as soon as there is a good option available for a 2nd SSD. After all, I wouldn't need my PS4 anymore once I have a PS5... I'd get a lot of mileage out of it immediately.

13. noize

noize Contributing Member

I feel the same way concerning the internal storage. But, the deciding factor for me comes down to two things....

1. EXCLUSIVE games. Sony is killing Microsoft when it comes to exclusivity. I expect this to continue.

2. How does the game looks like technically compared to last generation? They can pitched me all of the fancy specs but if the games themselves doesn't see much of a leap from last gen, I will hold off. I know this could be purely subjective but given the strong specs and high prices of these system, I expect 60fps @ 4k resolution should be the standard.

Drexlerfan22 likes this.
  14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Stable 4k@60fps for demanding games is out of the question unfortunately, doesn't even work with the most high-end computers for all games currently.

It really sucks how game engines moved far ahead of actual hardware capabilities.

Drexlerfan22 likes this.
  15. Drexlerfan22

1. I do prefer Sony's exclusives this gen for sure. Microsoft had the upper hand in the early life of the 360, and it seems like the gap has continued to get wider since then, at least for me. This is all a matter of opinion of course... some people will take Halo and Gears of War and Forza over anything. Just not me. And even if that weren't the case, the PS5 would still be the foregone conclusion for me, between the backward compatibility and that it's the one my friends are getting (I'm the only one in my friend group to buy an XB1, the other guys have PS4 & Switch).

2. As time has gone on there has been less and less graphical "wow factor" when a new system is introduced, as we approach that uncanny valley. I suspect that will continue, i.e. I don't think there will be many things that look vastly better than, say, the FF7 demo does early in the system's life cycle. And personally I don't care much. I care way more about the performance than the resolution and the size of the textures. I don't doubt that 4K will be standard, but upscaling would be the norm rather than native. Since I plan to keep my old 1080p TV until it literally stops working, I'm crossing my fingers that native rendering at 1080 with smoother framerates is a standard option, rather than things needing to downscale.

I expect the coolest thing about this next gen to be that developers will spend less time designing around load times, and more time just designing fun games.

Yung-T likes this.
  16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Xbox backwards compatibility looks wayyyyyyyy better.

17. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I've been mostly out of the loop when it came to PS5/XSX specs, mostly by choice (most of the rumors and insiders are BS...just like they turned out to be here). I knew some basics, but I ended up watching Cerny's talk earlier today without any preconceptions. I haven't had a chance to dig into what MS released (a few days ago I think), but glancing things over, I think both systems seem pretty awesome. Pricing, games, services, etc., all still matter, but I think we're in for a great generation of games with some great hardware.

Regarding internal storage, I'd really like to test out how things work out in practice vs trying to speculate. What Cerny spoke about in the talk is actually kinda what I was suspecting to be honest. I'm thinking for a majority of gamers, it won't be an issue at all. For those that will need to swap between an external HDD and the internal PS5 SSD, I'm curious to see if it will actually be that bad. Not a great comparison, but I've been using the Shadow Gaming service quite a bit, and they limit you to something like 250GB. That said, you have a 1Gbps connection I think, so if I decide to delete some games and install a new one, I can do that pretty easily for smaller games. Big ones take longer, but then again, PS5/XSX would be transferring from an external HDD, not Steam's servers via the internet. It should go much quicker. Might not be available at launch, but maybe MS and Sony could put in some smarts to help you boot up games while still transferring the rest of the game. With compression and the simplicity SSDs provide over HDD/disc drives, maybe game sizes won't explode as much as we think too. It still isn't ideal I think, but it is probably a better idea to focus on this type of approach vs trying to put in more storage. No matter how much storage they give you, it won't be enough for some people. It might be a good idea to offer a nice sweet spot that satisfies most gamers, offer extra storage at a premium, and focus on improving the boot up speed of games not installed on the SSD.

There were some interesting engineering things Cerny mentioned, which I hadn't really thought about. I have no idea how power consumption worked in previous consoles (beyond basics), but the way he described how PS5 will work seemed like an interesting concept. It won't help in the "spec war," and in fact, it could even hurt some PS5 games in performance. But I kinda like the idea of keeping power consumption constant, but reducing clockspeeds (or whatever) if necessary. I feel like there are a lot of things like this with hardware and game design that could use some new innovations.

The SSD stuff in particular could be pretty great, beyond just "quicker load times." What comes to mind with me is how games like Star Citizen try to stream all that game data to you whenever you transition from various scopes (on foot, in space ship, in a big city, inside a cave, etc). They have to be super smart about how they manage that data, and I'm thinking maybe we can see more of this moving forward. Which is all good by me. :)

To answer some of the questions in the OP, I actually want to get both. I traditionally prefer PS exclusives, so PS5 is probably a no brainer. But I love what Phil Spencer is doing with the Xbox platform, and I'm pretty excited about the XSX and some of their first party studios. I skipped a good chunk of the late PS4/XBO generation (including their "Pro" consoles), so I'm actually looking forward to playing some of them on PS5/XSX. MS definitely seems to have a huge advantage here (their BC engineering team seem pretty great), but as long as the games play and look nice, that's good enough for me.

I've already jumped on board the "game streaming" service (as alluded to earlier with Shadow), so I'm also interested in seeing what both companies do here. It is still in early days IMO, but I think it could be pretty great when it all comes together. As long as they don't follow the Stadia gameplan... (i.e., don't hire Phil Harrison as he is cursed).

Blatz and RudyTBag like this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Think I'm going with just the Xbox this time, will probably try to get the PS5 a couple of years later when it goes on sale.

I have both current-gen systems, to me, the Xbox is just better.

Xbox's app choices are significantly greater, the game pass system offers bigger and newer titles, the interface is more lively and accessible, the online community is more lively. PSNow instant streaming would have been amazing... if it wasn't a total glitchy mess with mostly bad/old games. I hope both next-gen systems can provide quality instant streaming, it's a game-changing feature.

PS4 has some great exclusives, bloodborne, the last of us two of my favorite games, God of war and uncharted are very good. This is why I originally got both, didn't want to miss out.

But the Xbox's exclusives are also nice, Forza is a must-have for me, Halo, and Gears of War are games I enjoy. The upcoming Microsoft flight simulator is also very exciting.

19. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

is PS5 still slated for december launch? thought i read it may be pushed back? pre orders were slated for sometime this month no?

20. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I will be getting XSX most likely around launch even though I have had bad luck with launch editions. Since I will be getting it free or close to free I'll risk it. Has a price target been released?