1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade DeAndre Hopkins to Arizona

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 16, 2020.

1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Kyler about to put up madden stats

BaselineFade likes this.
  2. oelman44

oelman44 Member

This trade makes no sense to me as anything other than a rash fire-sale.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

How should Watson feel right now?

Reiss: Frustrated. But just wait until it’s Week 11 and new No. 1 wide receiver Will Fuller has already missed three games.

Jones: Confused. What’s the message O’Brien is sending to his team — let alone his franchise quarterback — right now? If I’m Watson, I’m wondering about my long-term future there — and if I even want one with O’Brien.

Nguyen: Abandoned.

Kapadia: Dejected. The guy has put the team on his back for years, and depending on what else the Texans do, he’ll be going into next season with one of the worst groups of wide receivers. More than anything, Watson has to know that O’Brien is going to continue to make bad decisions that will hurt the roster around him.

Pompei: Watson should be disappointed. It’s going to be more difficult for him to become the quarterback he wants to be without Hopkins. He might never have another wide receiver in his career who is as talented as Hopkins.

Trask: Disappointed, mad, sad and more, but he then needs to shake it off (credit to Taylor Swift) and move forward, understanding that it is part of the business of football — an unfortunate part.

Johnson hasn’t come close to replicating his All-Pro 2016 season — or living up to the three-year, $39 million deal he signed in 2018. He now joins a backfield with Duke Johnson under contract through 2021 as 2019 leading rusher Carlos Hyde faces free agency. What’s your guess as to what David Johnson’s role will be in Houston?

Bordow: I can’t speak to Houston’s offense, but for David Johnson to make an impact, he has to be a much more decisive runner than he was in 2019. There was a belief among some Cardinals players that Johnson became shy of contact once he got paid. Johnson can still be an effective receiver out of the backfield, but whether he again becomes the player he was in 2016 depends on whether his mindset changes.

Reiss: The Texans believe David Johnson is a bounce-back candidate. They felt the same way about Hyde and got a career year out of him. I expect Johnson to take on a similar role, receiving 200-plus carries while Houston looks to target both of its running backs in the passing game.

Nguyen: David Johnson will likely take a majority of the snaps but Duke Johnson will play a significant role. My guess is a 60-40 split. Their skill sets are similar, but David Johnson is a much better runner.

Jones: I expect he’ll be their feature back. Good for him for getting a fresh start and a place to be the lead back again.

Kapadia: My guess is he’ll be among the league leaders in touches next season. If you’re going to do a deal like this, you’re signaling that Johnson is going to be a huge part of the offense.

Pompei: I’m sure the Texans believe they can get something out of him the Cardinals have failed to get in recent seasons. That’s usually how these types of moves are justified.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

I came back just to find @Mr.Scarface excuse for this trade but I don't have the energy to scroll through looking for it. Help me somebody?

red5rocket, Gray_Jay and Fulgore like this.
  5. oelman44

oelman44 Member

He carries himself like a high-school coach. "Your not going to buy into my bullshit? WALK OFF MY FIELD RIGHT ****ING NOW!!" mentality.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Finally, what does this move tell you about both teams’ offseason philosophies?

Bordow: The Cardinals clearly want to end their four-year playoff drought, and they believe with Murray on a rookie deal, now is the time to strike. Acquiring Hopkins also makes Arizona a much more attractive destination in free agency. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Cardinals make another splash or two with players wanting to get in on the Murray-Hopkins partnership.

Reiss: The Texans seem to believe they couldn’t give Hopkins a new deal while also handing out extensions to Watson and Tunsil. They might be able to replace some of Hopkins’ production through free agency and picks in a wide receiver-rich draft, but it’s unlikely they replace all of it. That’s bad news for a team that relied on a boom-or-bust offense to get to the playoffs last season.

Nguyen: I don’t think the Texans are going into rebuild mode. They probably felt like they couldn’t give Hopkins the new deal he reportedly wants and think they can draft a decent replacement in a wide receiver-rich draft. As for the Cardinals, it just shows how confident they are in Murray taking a big step in his development in his second year.

Jones: Trying to make sense of O’Brien’s plans and philosophies is impossible. Sometimes he deals like the Texans are all-in. Sometimes he indicates he’s taking playing a long game. I don’t get it. The Cardinals are very clearly trying to build around Murray and make a serious push to be competitive in the NFC West.

Kapadia: For the Texans, it follows a pattern of questionable decisions with O’Brien in charge. But it is even worse than last year’s Clowney trade because it makes Watson’s job harder. Maybe there’s another shoe to drop and Houston will add a wide receiver, but I’m going off the information we have now. As for the Cardinals, they should aggressively build around Murray while he’s on his rookie contract. The best path to sustained success is to build an efficient, explosive passing game. And Hopkins helps them move in that direction.

Pompei: O’Brien was just promoted to general manager in January. He can afford to take a risk, and he can afford to sacrifice the short term for the long term. The Cardinals are trying to build around their young quarterback and their offensive system.

Trask: This is only one data point, and there is still much free agency and the draft to come, as well as the possibility of trades, so I don’t believe that we can yet make sweeping conclusions. That said, at this moment in time I believe it is fair to say that Arizona has helped its quarterback whereas Houston has not.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Wait... just checked more facts.

Johnson isn't just injury prone, he appears washed up. His only good season was 3 years ago plus he's coming off b2b seasons of <4.0 yards/carry.

F*** you, Cal !!!

You and Bill both need your ass whooped, over and over again.

F*** yall !!!

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is sobering.

Two elite players...that's what we have to show for it...

mikol13, joshuaao, juanm34 and 2 others like this.
  9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Half ass one. "Apparently hopkins wants to restructure his contract."

Nimo likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Only Bob O'Brien could bump the Wuhan Virus off headline news/number one trending topic.

Does Bob have the Wuhan Virus?

fchowd0311 and conquistador#11 like this.
  11. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

DeAndre Hopkins is all class. Wish I could say the same for Bill O’Brien.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

lel

J.R. likes this.
  13. msn

msn Member

I haven't given a flip about the Texans in a couple years. Now I care even less. Go Roughnecks, I guess. Guess for NFL I'll go back to rooting for whoever's playing the Oilers.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Jesus Christ... looking at that list is sobering.

J.R. likes this.
  15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Fools will continue to fill up the stadium every Sunday to cheer on incompetence.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Trade these players, trade these picks ... to go 9-7/10-6? What exactly is Bill's plan here? Be just good enough to get part ownership and a lifetime contract from Cal?

So like his offense is gonna suck even more next year? (and then he can blame/fire Tim Kelly and re-insert himself and rinse/repeat the process)

harold bingo likes this.
  18. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Would love to play in a fantasy league someday with BoB.

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

At least in fantasy leagues, owners can veto any lopsided trades. Probably can't fleece BoB there.

20. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Texans’ fans are more than happy to simply tailgate and have social gatherings at games. The product on the field be damned.