1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade DeAndre Hopkins to Arizona

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 16, 2020.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

a DT got traded for a first SMH

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Personally I'm giving the Texans a shot, first 4 games or so, just on the slim chance that the move works out.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it will, I'm sure this season will be another year wasted for Watson.

RB is the last position you want to overpay for (when it comes to non kickers), the very last.

We 100% could have gotten decent-good RB production from the FA or draft class. We do that pretty much every year. Last year we went into the season with no RB and it turned out alright. This is why this was such a huge mistake.

If this were Derrick Henry...then yeah, I could see that move making sense. You trade the best WR for the best RB and WR is a position we were strong with any ways...but we traded him for a RB 2nd on the depth chart and with a bad injury history.

Just...no.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Not going to let this team get to me like they did in the past.....not worth it.

We're welcoming our first kid to this world in 2 weeks. I'll be pre-occupied enough on Sundays this fall....

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep, DJ wasn't even going to start for them this upcoming season lol.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. edwardc

edwardc Member

I wonder if BOB would have done the same had this been JJ.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Couldn't get 1st for All-Pro WR...Doesn't matter Brian. Got David Johnson Brian.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  8. conquistador#11

More proof that peepot just does this to make 'a point' to show them. There is no way someone doesn't give you a first for an all pro young receiver with the best game and drip.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

"2,100 all-purpose yards, Brian."
    "Uh, that was in 2016"
    "2,100 ALL-PURPOSE YARDS, BRIAN!!!!"

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. AstrosRockets1818

Am I r****ded or was Hopkins under contract for the next 3 seasons in his prime?

13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

With all the news of Dhop wanting more money and hated BOB, fine. Although I would have traded Fuller for DJ, or just cut Fuller and used that money on Dhop. But if you have to trade Dhop, this is his PRIME, you get multiple firsts or a First and Diggs, like come on, this is easy madden SH*T

conquistador#11 likes this.
  14. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Baltimore got a 2nd and 5th for a second string TE and we got essentially the same **** for an All-PRO WR.

15. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

It’s obvious this trade was about Hopkins wanting a new contract, and that’s fine, but just like the Clowney trade it’s as if they didn’t even try to negotiate. You’ll NEVER convince me that they couldn’t have gotten better value from someone else with even the slightest bit of effort. This entire organization just totally sucks.

joshuaao and conquistador#11 like this.
  16. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I bet BOB's phone line is ringing off the hook with other GM's calling and making offers now. I bet it is a feeding frenzy. Can't wait to trade this second rounder for Alshon Jeffery

BaselineFade likes this.
  17. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Let's not kid ourselves. The rest of the league is laughing at us for good reason.

edwardc likes this.
  18. Mr. Space City

when are they gonna do something about jj watt's contract?

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

At first glance, this seems like an absolute steal for the Cardinals, who were able to shed Johnson’s roughly $20 million cap hit over the next two years and add one of the best playmakers in the NFL. Is there any other way to read it?

Scott Bordow, Cardinals writer: I think that’s the perfect read. I’m stunned the Cardinals were able to pull off this trade. The belief around the league was that Arizona would have to restructure Johnson’s deal — eating a significant amount of his $10.2 million in guaranteed money — and include a draft pick just to get off the contract. Instead, Houston takes on all of Johnson’s contract and the Cardinals get one of the best wide receivers for Johnson, whom they didn’t want, and a second-round pick? Incredible.

Aaron Reiss, Texans writer: This is Bill O’Brien’s worst trade yet. There’s no other way to put it. At least he ultimately turned Jadeveon Clowney into two serviceable defenders in situational rusher Jacob Martin and cornerback Gareon Conley, whom Houston acquired by trading Seattle’s third-round pick to Oakland. And at least the trade for Laremy Tunsil was made in the interest of protecting Watson long term. Dealing Hopkins makes life harder for Watson and is the strongest evidence yet that O’Brien lacks a good sense of what constitutes value.

Ted Nguyen, NFL film analyst: When I first saw the Cardinals traded for Johnson, my immediate reaction was that it had to be a salary dump and the Texans would receive compensation for taking on his salary, but then the news came out that they got Hopkins in return. Even with the draft picks involved, this is an absolute landslide win for the Cardinals — they unloaded a terrible contract and added one of the best (if not the best) wide receivers in the game.

Mike Sando, NFL writer: It feels as though the Texans are continually addressing short-term needs in ways that create new problems. It also feels as though it’ll take some time to figure out what Houston is thinking bigger picture. We might be seeing the Texans with their New England-based leadership continually assessing players based on whether those players are returning surplus value on the dollar. In that context, they might see Hopkins’ price tag rising in the future as his ability decreases. But to land only a running back and some (admittedly needed) draft capital in return for a player who should be very productive for years to come? That is a tough sell, especially without knowing what Houston has planned more broadly.

Lindsay Jones, NFL writer: If this trade had simply been a salary dump for the Cardinals, it still would have been a steal for Arizona. Throw in Hopkins and it’s one of the most baffling trades I can remember.

Sheil Kapadia, NFL writer: No, there’s no other way to read this. Hopkins is 27 years old and one of the best wide receivers. Consider recent precedent: The Giants got a first-round pick, a third-round pick and a player for Odell Beckham Jr.; the Raiders got a first-round pick for Amari Cooper. If the Texans were going to trade Hopkins — and I don’t think that should’ve been the case — the conversation should’ve started with a first-round pick and something else. Instead, they took on Johnson’s contract, which includes $10.2 million guaranteed next season, and got a second rounder. Teams with young quarterbacks should be doing everything possible to help them succeed. O’Brien just traded Deshaun Watson’s favorite target.

Dan Pompei, NFL writer: Sometimes when we try to analyze this sort of thing, we make it more complicated than it needs to be. Strip it down: You don’t get better by trading dominant players and Hopkins is a dominant player. This is a stunning move, the kind of move that would not have been made if a general manager was in charge of personnel in Houston instead of a head coach.

Amy Trask, NFL contributor: As we assess and discuss this trade, I will throw into the mix for consideration the first thought I had when I learned of it: Exceptional talent is just that, exceptional, and Hopkins is an exceptionally talented player. I had the same thought about this trade that I had when the Raiders traded Khalil Mack: Why would you trade away the sort of extraordinary talent teams do all they can to acquire? And yes, I know the ostensible reasons that teams often do these sorts of things, but I rarely think they make good sense.

20. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Congrats on the new addition to your family. Being a father is the best and most important job you will ever have.