1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Virus] So who’s still going out?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RKREBORN, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

It's not weighing one problem against another problem. They are the same problem. Going out right now won't help businesses or employees because it will result in broader shutdowns for longer periods of time. That was up for debate less than a week ago; it isn't anymore.

Avoiding unnecessary social contact in the short term is the only way to mitigate any of this--the public health crisis and the related human costs you referenced.

And of course we'll have to address the human cost and in very quick fashion. First, let's agree not to make it worse.

Nook likes this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

https://vaha.com/

Yung-T and Deckard like this.
  3. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

CDC now recommending no more gatherings of 50+ people nationwide, for the next 8 weeks.

NYC just shut down all restaurants and bars except for takeout.

Nook likes this.
  4. likestohypeguy

Same, but it's an even tougher call for us here as a small comedy troupe, because most of our acts depend on significant audience contact, up-close magic & interactive improv- literally getting out into the audience doing a bunch singing and screaming with them, doesn't seem worth it given what's going on right now.

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

Does gatherings include work places with 50+ people? Or just places where 50 people are in one room?

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That’s a good question. At work you’re not as likely to get as close as you would at a social gathering. And people gotta work.

7. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i had 5 shows during sxsw and they all got cancelled in less than 48 hours. it sucks, but its the right thing to do.

i was all in till a few days ago. i even agreed last tuesday to sit in with another band for a couple of their shows...but after reading up on this virus i decided it was irresponsible to be performing or even going to a music venue. thankfully the bars or event organizers made the decision to cancel, but if they hadnt i would have.

the average restroom at a bar/club is nasty on its best days...i dont want any part of that right now!

there are still some shows happening this week, but id say 90% of the ones i knew about are now off.

i saw some videos/photos on facebook of venues that went ahead with stuff over the weekend and most of them were totally empty. i dont know why bands are going out and playing shows to three people.

Yung-T and malakas like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

That's ok, but I have been posting a lot more on Clutchfans. Beat that!

apollo33 and malakas like this.
  10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Going out? There is no going out.

This is the worst time in America since slavery.

daywalker02 and RKREBORN like this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Glad to hear it! I’ve been concerned about you putting yourself at risk since you mentioned coming to Austin during what would have been SXSW, had it not been cancelled.

Austin has had very few reported Coronavirus cases, at least as far as we know given the nearly complete absence of testing. It’s a ludicrous situation illustrating a stunning failure of leadership at the highest levels of government in our wealthy country, but one cities across the nation are dealing with right now. The lack in the number of reported cases here could reflect reality, but how can we possibly know? We truly have no idea until there is drive-thru testing, something countries like South Korea has. Going to a clinic to get tested could be a possible way to be infected to those at the clinic, and to you.

I have to give props to our city government for being proactive in canceling SXSW, despite the blow to our economy. It was one of the very early efforts in the US to react to the crisis in this fashion, and was reported worldwide, illustrating how important the festival is and how well known Austin has become since it started in the late ‘80’s. That, and what a danger this damn virus has become. It got some flack from some local businesses initially, but no longer, not that I’ve heard.

I know the owner of the pub downtown where I play trivia every week, although not for the next few weeks, and his business is being hammered by the virus, and not just by canceling a real money maker for him, the festival. What he’s experiencing is being repeated across Austin and across the country. So he’s worried about his successful business and the hit it’s taking, wondering how long this might last. He should be.

jo mama and Yung-T like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

BJJ has been cancelled in the Chicago land area.

I understand where you are coming from. From what I have been told the key is to avoid large crowds....... stay safe.

14. jo mama

thanks, but for the record i live in austin. 25 years in july!

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well hot damn! A cat with good sense! We’ve been here since June of 1980. I’d been coming up from Houston since about 1966. By the late ‘60’s, we were having 2 or 3 camp outs at the coves of Pale Face Park during the summer on weekends, and an annual winter camp out. Pale Face, and Austin, were so different then.

During the winter party at Pale Face, the place was deserted and we had bonfires, a couple dozen of us sitting around it adding to the smoke, usually someone playing guitar. If not, we’d take turns playing cassette tapes of music some of us spent hours putting together beforehand. Never had a problem with law enforcement. It could get pretty wild, running around nude in the freezing cold, from the tents to the fire and back again. Smoke from the fire, smoke coming out of the tents as people were going in and out. It could get a bit hedonistic. Boy, could I tell stories. Good times!

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Letting y’all know we’ve called off our gig tomorrow. We discussed it internally last night and decided that with the latest information from the CDC regarding small gatherings it was best to cancel. I’m trying to meet with the managers if the venue to tell them personally.

we’re going to offer to play another show in the future for free with our fee going to the staff of the venue.

Deckard likes this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As mentioned we played a show over the weekend and it was packed. The crowd skewed younger than usual but it was a very rowdy and drunk crowd.

just cancelled our show for tomorrow and I don’t know what the venue is going to do but it wouldn’t surprise me if the state of Minnesota makes the decision for them.

jo mama likes this.
  18. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I went out for lunch and dinner this weekend and grocery shopped...I think Houston will either put a curfew and/or close clubs, bars, etc. very soon...

I had a trip planned for Nashville next week but I have to cancel it, and a trip to cancun in April, but I think that one will be cancelled for me soon...

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Someone needs to send BoB a manifesto.

20. jo mama

word. for the record, i wasnt passing judgement on you and your band. it sounds like you share the same philosophy as me which is that the show must go on. back in january i played a show with a 102 degree fever and the flu.

but i feel like this is different and you are making the right decision.